Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Big emissions warrenty issue with nissan Forums > > Big emissions warrenty issue with nissan Big emissions warrenty issue with nissan
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 06-11-2010, 01:06 PM
nethawk

Angry Big emissions warrenty issue with nissan

Ok here it goes. So I finally found out what was wrong with my nissan after taking it to the dealers 3 times and each time telling me its stupid things like spark plugs or ingnition coil screw or PRE CATALYTIC CONVERTER!!!! which my truck does not have. The problem was the Post catalytic converters which are somehow called tube assemblys? the driver side post catalytic converter filter blew apart inside and is now clogging my exhaust manifold which is causing reduced horsepower. After having the Nissan mechanic leave it up on the lift for me to look at I found that there are two catalytic converts after the two main cats both on each side of the truck. And now here is the issue, they are telling me that the post cats or (tube assembly) is not covered by the federal emissions, HOW CANT IT BE, ITS A CAT!! in order for it to be replaced you have to take the old one out and send it back to dispose of for emissions sake, THAT SOUNDS LIKE A CAT TO ME! Also its got a honey comb filter just like the cat and even is identical in every way to a cat if you compare the two but to nissan its not. Now what we have he is textbook warranty evasion by the dealer. I called up the HQ and main dealers and asked them about this to which they reply that it is a cat but since the part is not labeled a cat but labeled a tube assembly it is be covered by a warrenty. I am prepareing a law suit against nissan for breaking federal law and warrenty evasion, if they think that calling things something else to avoid paying for warrentys and to scam the federal law then they are in big. Ive sought legal help and through investigation have found them breaking federal law, I am awaiting a call back from nissan HQ to find if they are going to change there minds over there decision or not. I am wondering if any one here has had an similar problems?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:42 PM
2015 Rogue

If your front exhaust tube is plugged it is a result of the cataytic converter in front of it coming apart.

The warranty on the front tube is 3 years or 36,000 miles.
I don't know for sure but I think the reason they don't fall under the federal 8/80 warranty is because the warranty states that the part failure has to cause an emissions inspection failure. The vehicle does not have an oxygen sensor downstream from the secondary cat. so it would never fail an emissions inspection because the computer does not monitor that particular part.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:59 PM
nethawk

The second cat is the problem is what im saying, the filter inside the post cat not the main ones but the one under the driver side blew apart so therefore it is no longer operational due to it not filtering the exhaust. the second cat has the air/fuel ratio sensor in front of it which has been burned up as well. If a cat is non operational then it has to be replaced under the federal emissions due to it not filtering. But because they are not calling it a cat in there system is why they are not covering it. The Nissan mechanic even said it should be covered and is a cat which is why I had my investigator check into it. The part number im talking about is 20020ea200 which they call it a tube assembly but has a cat on it, the filter inside the cat blew apart. This is all on a 2005 nissan frontier le v6 4.0 2wd

Last edited by nethawk; 06-11-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
1998 Pathfinder
2001 maxima 20th aninvers

went through this with the bar also a cat is only considered a cat when it is between the front o2 sensor and the rear o2 sensor
Old 06-12-2010, 11:25 AM
nethawk

Thanks for proving my point, this is between the front o2 sensor and rear o2 sensor, the dealership was the only one to have the schematics that showed this part. the ones on here dont have it and neither do any of the ones I have seen. But when we were at the dealership they showed me on there computer the diagrams. Even when this was on the lift you could see it was in the middle of the two. litteraly its a foot down from the main cats, right before the second there is the air/fuel ratio sensor but not a o2 that is below farther towards the rear.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:47 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethawk View Post
Thanks for proving my point, this is between the front o2 sensor and rear o2 sensor, the dealership was the only one to have the schematics that showed this part. the ones on here dont have it and neither do any of the ones I have seen. But when we were at the dealership they showed me on there computer the diagrams. Even when this was on the lift you could see it was in the middle of the two. litteraly its a foot down from the main cats, right before the second there is the air/fuel ratio sensor but not a o2 that is below farther towards the rear.
The a/f sensor is before the primary cat on the 4.0L. The o2 sensor is behind or downstream from that cat. They do not have one behind the part you are talking about.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
1998 Pathfinder
2001 maxima 20th aninvers

mpe235 is correct

Tags
big, emissions, issue, nissan, warrenty