Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Instrument Cluster Problems - gauges pegged -999999 Forums > > Instrument Cluster Problems - gauges pegged -999999 Instrument Cluster Problems - gauges pegged -999999
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 04-07-2010, 05:01 AM
ronald467

Default Instrument Cluster Problems - gauges pegged -999999

After searching the threads, I see I am not alone in having my temp and gas guage needles pegged and the odometer reading 999999. Has anyone come up with a easier solution to this problem than sending it to Mr. Whizard for a IC Corruption fix at $199? Does anyone know what this IC looks like and is it possible to just replace the IC from similar Nissan instrument cluster found in a junkyard? I say similar because there are no 99 Nissan pickups in any junkyards within 100 miles from me but several older pathfinders are plentiful. I would think that getting this "IC" from a V6 pathfinder with digital odometer should fix the problem...anyone try this already?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Go to the service manual and chapter EL page 77 will show you how to test the gauges.Just remember that change to the odometer reading by other that a licensed repair shop is illegal in every state i can think of.Check your local laws before you spend your money.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:10 AM
dolfans

It would be nice if Nissan would step up and help us out. I think they should. I have this problem also. I got another cluster but have not put it in yet. If you find out how to fix it please let me know
Old 08-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Mozz

I just repaired a friends dash cluster 1998 Frontier because of erratic gauges and finally died totally. This problem can be fixed, by just resoldering the 2 largest IC's on the speedometer circuit. Do a google search on NTE152 and nissan and the web site 4x4parts.com will come up, i followed the instructions there and replaced the 2 transistors and the dash started working again when banging on it. Guy took it back out and i ordered all the electrolytic capacitors, when they arrived i was going to solder them in when i took out a magnifying glass and went over the entire board, there were solder cracks and fractures on both the largest IC'S, 1 is about 40 pin and the other i think is a 16 pin. I resoldered them and installed the new caps and now it works fine. I don't know for sure the original 2SD2096 transistors were bad or if the caps were bad, probably not, even though, them parts are only $30 total. You need somebody who can solder small items such as IC'S to do this job. The original web site is
4x4 Parts.com | Discussion Board
Old 09-29-2013, 11:02 AM
1999 Pathfinder

I had the same problem with a 99 Pathfinder LE 2x4. The gauges worked intermittently. I could bang on the dash just to the left of the center of the gauge cluster and it would work again for a bit. Then it finally stopped working altogether. During all this, the engine light was on and the IBD code was for the speed sensor. That didn't make sense. I took it to a shop that specialized in Nissans (this is a 1999 with 215k miles that I bought for $3800 in 2010) the guy wanted to replace both speed sensors and the speedometer. I can't remember the price tag, but I balked and walked out. The speedometer alone was going to run more than $400. No sir.

So here's what I did. I stalked the local salvage yards and eBay. I finally found a instrument gauge that matched on eBay for $50. It was the same model year, 2x4, LE, AT. I took a chance and made the purchase. The mileage on it was 265k. To me, that's not a big deal because I'm going to run this vehicle until it dies. No plans to sell. I pulled the dash cluster out. The hardest part about that was getting the bezel off. You don't need to pull the steering wheel, just work to the right and it will come out fairly easily. Make sure the steering wheel is as low as it can go. Then I unscrewed the dash panel (4 screws) and pulled it out and disconnected the 4 connections. I put the other cluster in, screwed it back in and success! The gauges worked!

I went to clear the engine code and the code reader wasn't registering as connected. Another problem? No. It was the small fuse in the lower left corner of the fuse box by the driver's door. Once I replaced the fuse, the code reader popped right up. I cleared the code. I drove it for 100 miles then took it to the county emission testing center. It passed with flying colors.

Once I found the gauge cluster on ebay this was easy. I'm a girl and the scariest part about this was lurking around the salvage yards. It cost me $50, 100 miles worth of gas, a couple hours and a 7.5 fuse.

Tags
cluster, gauges, instrument, pegged, problems