Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Knock sensor location? Forums > > Knock sensor location? Knock sensor location?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 12-21-2006, 01:33 PM
rmd

Default Knock sensor location?

I own a 2000 Frontier with a 3.3L V6 engine. It is showing a knock sensor failure code. Can anybody tell me where it is located on the engine and if it something that a person can change on there own or does a service center need to do it?

Thanks,
Old 12-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Tech Enthusiast

2003 Frontier SC 4x4 Crew

Here's a pic of one. It's on top of the block below the intake assembly.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/4...xterra-007.jpg

It's a real pain to get to as you can see. There are a few threads in various forums on the internet about how to relocate the sensor. Matter of fact, Dre351 relocated his(Nissan Master Tech / Moderator here at Nissanhelp.com). Send him a PM and he can tell you the specifics.

I just got mine out of the shop for the same problem. I'm not convinced the problem is gone either. The scan tool still shows two P0328 codes which is the knock sensor.

Good luck with the relocation. Post some pics and tips if you can. I'd be interested in doing this one day. I hear they can quit working easily so getting to it easily would be a plus.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:13 AM
joshhays

Default what did it cost you?

i was just wondering what they charged you to fix the problem you had...thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_adams View Post

It's a real pain to get to as you can see. There are a few threads in various forums on the internet about how to relocate the sensor. Matter of fact, Dre351 relocated his(Nissan Master Tech / Moderator here at Nissanhelp.com). Send him a PM and he can tell you the specifics.

I just got mine out of the shop for the same problem. I'm not convinced the problem is gone either. The scan tool still shows two P0328 codes which is the knock sensor.

Good luck with the relocation. Post some pics and tips if you can. I'd be interested in doing this one day. I hear they can quit working easily so getting to it easily would be a plus.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-06-2008, 06:06 PM
zcarcrazy

I just got the same error code about two weeks ago. I also have to replace the O2 sensors. My Frontier is the SC model and all I have to say after viewing the photo of the Knock Sensor location is "Are you kidding me?" I'm not afraid to get a little dirty, but that's a lot of BS to go through just to get to that stupid thing. I may be relocating that. If I do, I'll snap some shots and post.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:33 PM
tedarla

Default Costs

Well, my local dealer said it was about $350.00 in labor. I can get the part from Autozone for around $135.00, I figure the same part will be around $200.00 at the dealer. I'm just going to go talk to my local mechanic and let him do it. I ran into the same thing this week. But, I got the computer to clear the codes, so mine at least starts. I'm told that this knock sensor finally gets to where it doesn't work at all and will just die, thus your vehicle won't start. My car is a 2002 xterrra. Seems like Nissan hires all the dumb gm engineers and then follows their lead on how best to screw people. At least that's what it seems like to me!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 07:16 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedarla View Post
Well, my local dealer said it was about $350.00 in labor. I can get the part from Autozone for around $135.00, I figure the same part will be around $200.00 at the dealer. I'm just going to go talk to my local mechanic and let him do it. I ran into the same thing this week. But, I got the computer to clear the codes, so mine at least starts. I'm told that this knock sensor finally gets to where it doesn't work at all and will just die, thus your vehicle won't start. My car is a 2002 xterrra. Seems like Nissan hires all the dumb gm engineers and then follows their lead on how best to screw people. At least that's what it seems like to me!!!
A bad knock sensor WILL NOT cause you xterra not to start, in fact unless you have a supercharged model you would never notice it was bad.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:11 AM
tedarla

Well that maybe true, but I've had times where the engine would die, then I'd have to wait 5 - 10 minutes before it would start. I'll be picking up one of those odb computers and I'll have it with me when I go get my xterra today. I'll be checking codes as I go home. I'll post here what I find. There maybe more than one sensor that needs to be replaced. We'll see, then we'll know.

Thanks,

Last edited by tedarla; 09-28-2008 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:53 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedarla View Post
Well that maybe true, but I've had times where the engine would die, then I'd have to wait 5 - 10 minutes before it would start. I'll be picking up one of those odb computers and I'll have it with me when I go get my xterra today. I'll be checking codes as I go home. I'll post here what I find. There maybe more than one sensor that needs to be replaced. We'll see, then we'll know.

Thanks,
Check for corrosion in the fuel sending unit connector. It is a very common problem. Usually starts with intermittent starting problems and then stops starting.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:32 PM
tedarla

Would the fuel sending unit connection be the source of the anti-knock sensor problem? What I did do was just use a water hose and just tried to clean off the dirt and mud in and around the engine compartment, that I thought make this whole problem go away, but it didn't. The problem here is, I can just be going down the road and all of a sudden my exterra dies. About 20 seconds later, the dash board lights come on. I pull over, I wait 5 - 10 minues, it starts, we're off again for about 3 - 5 miles, and the problem repeats itself. I hooked up a friend's odbII computer to it and it said it was the anti-knock sensor. I'll be driving my xterra home on Monday, I'll post all the error codes it gives me along with mileage as well. It's about 25 miles home, and the ride home consists of highway, dirt and gravel and sandy roads.

Thanks for your help.

Trent
Old 10-24-2008, 01:38 PM
mike2u

I have the same issue with my 2003 frontier 4x4, 3.3 engine. If anyone can give me a site w/ specifics on relocation of the knock sensor, please let me know. I once read a post about the relocation but can't find it again. I contacted my local dealer and they priced me the sub-wiring harness at over $200. to relocate the sensor and the sensor was almost $200. Is Nissan going the way of GM? If you can't work on it, then eventually no one is going to buy one!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

No. low octane fuel, incorrect timing, bad gas. are just a few things that can cause a knock sensor code. But not a failing fuel pump unless it is causing a lean condition.The knock sensor is located under the intake manifold.

Last edited by tech22; 02-15-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:57 PM
divevault

under the intake??????
Old 02-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

On the block, in the valley, under the intake manifold. You read correct. Not very easy to get to .
Old 02-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

found this lthread that tell u how to relocate the knock sensor so u wont have to go into the intake everytime hope this helps 3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 02-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2006 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_adams View Post

Welcome to the forum!

If you are a senior tech, why was yours in the shop?

Tags
knock, location, sensor