Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Ran out of Gas. Put Gas.  Now it wont Start. Driving me NUTZ! Forums > > Ran out of Gas. Put Gas.  Now it wont Start. Driving me NUTZ! Ran out of Gas. Put Gas. Now it wont Start. Driving me NUTZ!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 03-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

These pumps are dc motors and when they fail they will not turn or make a noise.If you can hear it then it most likely is pumping.Remove the pump from the tank and make a couple of jumper wires and see it if it will pump water.If you look down into the tank you will see a plastic well the pump/sending unit sets.There must be enough fuel to cover the bottom of this area inorder for the pump to work.Just cant help but think you don't have enough fuel for the pump to pick-up.Go to the service manual at this site and find the section on fuel systems and there you can find the proper way to test the entire system.It really takes the guess work out.Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:02 PM
CHALLENGER

Sorry but you are wrong here,I have replaced pleanty of them over the years that ran but had little to no pressure so you can't go on that.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:35 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHALLENGER View Post
Sorry but you are wrong here,I have replaced pleanty of them over the years that ran but had little to no pressure so you can't go on that.
I have replace 2 in about 4 years. Both were completely dead. Did not turn on at all. You can usually get them going long enough to drive it into the shop by banging on the fuel tank with a rubber mallet.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:48 PM
CHALLENGER

Well ran my own shop for about 30 yrs.,worked on all brands and don't have a clue how many I have replaced that ran fine but wouldn't pump enough pressure to start engine including new ones . Keep and open mind and don't be so quick to form an opinion because mechanical things have a tendancy to bite you when you do,trust me I have been bitten more than I care to remember.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Hey Dark Earth

These are digital pulse pumps that do not require a return line. They are not the old style constant flow.

Spark Test? There is a way you can do it but I do not recommend it.

These modules are over $100 each. if you burn one out.

Plug in the OBDOII and turn on the ignition (do not start). Error codes should be embedded (ingrained was the old term) into the ecu and it should give you the codes or errors. (mine does). The engine does not have to be running.

With todays cars, I do not like to guess the diagnosis (see Challenger comment about being bit). Remember, your ecu has more computing power than the computers that got man to land on the moon!!!!

I have some ideas on what may be going on but I do not want to steer you in the wrong direction.

I have plenty of horror stories of friends who like to play mechanic and end up calling me when they F... it up, but it sounds to me like you know what you are doing and on the right track.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:39 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHALLENGER View Post
Well ran my own shop for about 30 yrs.,worked on all brands and don't have a clue how many I have replaced that ran fine but wouldn't pump enough pressure to start engine including new ones . Keep and open mind and don't be so quick to form an opinion because mechanical things have a tendancy to bite you when you do,trust me I have been bitten more than I care to remember.
The point I was trying to make was that fuel pump issues are uncommon on the frontier, pathfinder and xterra(all of which use the same fuel pump).

A more common problem with these vehicles is issues with the IPDM. I have seen some that lose power to the fuel pump, or the coils. Have also had a couple that only fire half of the coils. They also have corrosion issues at the harness connection to the rear of the vehicle coming from the engine compartment along the passenger side of the frame.

Also the fuel pump is covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles so if you are in that range you may want to take it to the dealer for a warranty repair.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:24 PM
DarkEarth50

I have to admit that this problem has beaten me.

After (riding a bike) to the auto store 4 times buying all the different fuel line quick connect tools only to find each of them not work due to simply not fitting.

I had a friend tow it to a trusted mechanic about 1mi down the road. Im paying the guy 70. to totally diagnose the problem and deliver me the proper information.

If its the pump, ill order one from courtesy (260.) and put it in myself since ive already dropped and installed the tank twice in the last week.

Ill post up the magic answer when the mechanic calls... Then it will be the END of this mystery. Stay tuned guys and thanks again for following along.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:02 PM
DarkEarth50

Ok. I picked up my truck from the mechanic today after a surprisingly fun bus ride across town. I never ride the bus lol.

So the mechanic said to my utter disbelief that my engine was severely flooded. They had to remove the plugs and dry everything out.

When I asked what happened and what I could do to prevent it, I could tell by his answer that he was somewhat surprised at what he found. He just said that it sometimes happens with not much detail following.

They put 2.0 hrs into getting my truck diagnosed and running great again and I was charged 140. to drive it outta there.

MUCH less than I though it was going to be.

I still baffled about what exactly happened. But very happy to have my work truck back...
Old 04-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Frontier

Somethin' ain't right here, and I smell

Smell your oil NOW. If it smells like gas, change it. If not, it did not flood.

Fuel injected vehicles don't normally flood. One exception is leaky injectors on a hot re-start. A 2005 shouldn't have leaky injectors.

You need to know your fuel pressure. If it DID flood, it will happen again, and it's HIGHLY likely that running out of go-go juice had zero to do with it.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

hey dark earth

how many miles are on your truck, and were all the plugs wet? Did you change the plugs after it quit and what did the old ones look like.

Did the shop give you back the old plugs?

If all of the plugs were wet, that is a common source problem such as a pressure regulator failure. Were you able to measure the pressure?

The fuel injector manifold has a "fuel dampener" system but it does not regulate pressure.

Keep a watch out. It may happen again and you may have other problems.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:05 PM
DarkEarth50

Dang now you guys got me scared about it.

Its got 65K mi. on it.

What else could have caused it if you guys dont mind me asking?

Just what the mechanic told me above is all I know about it. I dont think they replaced anything. I was under the impression that it was a take apart,clean and put back together type thing.

My only info on the Fuel pressure the mechanic got was that it was "plenty".

What should I do im worried?

I JUST SMELLED MY OIL AND IT SMELLED LIKE GAS AND LOOKED KINDA THICK!!!!! Im flushing and changing it out tomorrow. What could be going on?

Last edited by DarkEarth50; 04-02-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

hey dark earth

As I stated earlier, I do not like to guess. Going on what you have listed, are you running the stock paper air filter and did your exhaust smell like raw gas?

I have seen a phenomenon where guys run the aftermarket oil impregnated air filters and the oil will foul the Mass Air flow meter and cause it to run rich. Cleaning it is easy and I have seen several videos on You Tube on how to do it.

You should still have the pressure checked and get a real number. It may let you sleep at night

Tags
driving, gas, nutz, put, ran, start