Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
I used Seafoam, but I have problems now... Forums > > I used Seafoam, but I have problems now... I used Seafoam, but I have problems now...
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 04-04-2010, 03:28 PM
2002 Frontier King Cab
2002 Frontier King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitingtundra View Post
byyackie manakie panokie! YEA RIGHT
Just curious:
If the idle speed NEVER goes down to around 700 RPM,even when fully warm or with A/C on, transmission in gear, etc: how can the idle learning procedure described above can make it go down to the proper 750 +/- 50?
I am not an expert ASE tech (I am an aircraft A&P tech by trade) by any stretch of the imagination, but I think I would be wasting time and gas trying to tune a used throttle body.
Who knows, the MAF may work correctly, but the TPS sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, and the thermal control unit for cold start,(all of which are attached to the throttle body) could possibly be all out of wack after previous shade tree adjustments.

Val Barone
Old 04-04-2010, 05:38 PM
2002 Frontier Crew Cab

well there should b no way for the seafoam to affect the MAF thats usually right after air cleaner and brake booster line is in manifold. a messed up egr, which may not even be replaced on used throttlebody, gives u false air into the chamber which would cause all kinds of running probs. but should show as lean because of more "air" than what the MAF has said has gone thru. so dumps more fuel in and fouls plugs?? maybe check the plugs after it stalls and c if they r wet again and recheck the spark they are getting .

sorry this is kinda a running thought in case someone can get something out of it lol

now the cleaner didnt go thru injection system to cuz crap to get and injector stuck open (rich and stumbly)
but maybe fouled a single or more than 1 plug out so hard to fire ( they dont always clear out even after getting hot)

Last edited by youngbull; 04-04-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2006 Altima

Years ago we used to drip water in the carb throat to clean plugs and combustion chamber, worked rather well. I wonder if the steam generated would clean O2 sensors or if it would have any effect on cats.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:14 AM
2002 Frontier Crew Cab

the water thing usually works good. bit harder to introduce in fuel injection, its common to set codes from running while hose disconnected to add the water.
the water itself is not harmful its just vapor in the cat. its the fact that it can often cause the carbon to release in chunks that can clog the cat a bit.
where the chemicals dissolve the carbon a bit
Old 09-15-2021, 04:10 PM
2013 200SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1000 View Post
Well, I read that Seafoam use may have fouled the plugs, as stated above; so I replaced them last night. Engine ran well immediately while cold, but after a test drive around the block, it stalled again in the driveway. During the test drive, I kept it running in 1st gear, but I could tell that it wanted to die around 3-4000 RPM. So I thought it might need a fuel filter. I changed it, and again, it improved, but still stalling without warning.
This morning I attempted to go to work with it, but after 7 miles it stalled again, right next to a auto service shop. I turned it in to them, and after a couple of hours they called me back with the verdict: It has a bad MAF sensor; they would order it and finish the work in a couple of days, for the princely sum of $672, parts and labor!
I hope they troubleshot it right. I did not want to take it to Nissan for fear of really getting raped for this job. The shop says that Nissan would have changed the entire throttle body along with the sensor for a much bigger tab, while they can get just the sensor and fix it much cheaper.
Any feedback from you master mechanics is welcome, and thanks for your tips, so far.
Val Barone
This is what happened; Seafoam got onto the Airflow Sensor possibly ruining it, and spraying thru intake doesn’t clean very well and your throttle body may had issues.

The mechanic probably cleaned your old throttle body and sold it back for 700$.
Cleaning the body is usually 1-2 hours and 300$ so Screw that shop!

If anyone has similar issues, with rough idle, dying at acceleration, fuel/air mix Codes; CLEAN the throttle body and Idle valve, and intake with SeaFoam throttle cleaner or similar. Very Easy job.

Last edited by JmenezBishi; 09-15-2021 at 04:13 PM.

Tags
problems, seafoam