Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Engine knock when cold Forums > > Engine knock when cold Engine knock when cold
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 02-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

Default Engine knock when cold

2005 4.0L Fronty 128 K miles- I only use the oem oil filter. Knock occurs after start at idle and acceleration after 8 + hour cold soak in colder temps (30's -40's F). Knock goes away after warm up. oil pressure is good at start.

Does Nissan use oval pistons in this engine?
Any known lube issues ?
Any known bearing clearance issues?
Old 02-13-2010, 03:36 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

No oval pistons are used in any auto/truck from any mfg. Honda had a motocycle (racing) that they tryed for a couple years.Two rods and one piston.It didn't work very well.-40 is damn cold for any engine and i would think that the use of a heated dip-stick might be the way to go.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab

thanks for the reply. typo on the temps 30 to 40 (not -40) Back in the 70's mfgrs used to use an elliptical piston grind to reduce friction when cold. I've been away from the auto repair business for 20 years now so I wasn't sure if these were still in use or not.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:31 AM
karampelasm

Default Knock

I also have a 2005 4.0 Frontier with the same problem, but I live in Florida.. I reported it to the dealer at the first service and they said they could not verify the problem. I reported it so often that I got tired of leaving it there overnight that I gave up. It has 58k miles on it now and it still does it. Any other ideas will be appreciated.
Mark
Old 03-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by karampelasm View Post
I also have a 2005 4.0 Frontier with the same problem, but I live in Florida.. I reported it to the dealer at the first service and they said they could not verify the problem. I reported it so often that I got tired of leaving it there overnight that I gave up. It has 58k miles on it now and it still does it. Any other ideas will be appreciated.
Mark
Put in a quart of 20-50 oil (after pulling 1 qt out), and see what happens.

58k is not enough miles for wear, unless it went dry for a few turns...
Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab

I don't agree that 1 qt of slightly heavier oil is going to fix anything (as suggested by Schrade). I have found that the start up rattle I used to experience has gone away since I've started using a high quality aftermarket oil filter in lieu of the Nissan OEM filter. My knock on acceleration after cold start condition is still there with light throttle and are probably nothing more than rod bearing clearances. jlg
Old 03-16-2010, 06:41 PM
CHALLENGER

I have an 07 frontier 4/4 ,v6 auto. it has 43000 on it.It rattles on startup and knocks after warmed up.I am retired mechanic and this truck has always had mobil one full synthetic with nissan filter. I contacted dealer and so called help line (joke) when it was new and told them this would happen because of the high rpm on cold start 2250 .They told me this was normal and wouldn't hurt anything.( this is what they still say) I had it into dealer today and they said rattle on startup was normal and couldn't seem to hear knock (go figure)It is a shame as their fast idle accompleshes nothing except trashing what seemed to be a good engine.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Boomer

Some of this can be due to the filter. If the antidrainback valve is not up to snuff, it will drain out and then you actually have a dry start. Ir un NAPA Gold or Pure One filters on my 2007 Fronty with far less start up noise than with the OEM Made in China paper end cap filter. Try this and see if it helps.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:33 PM
CHALLENGER

It could possibly help prolong the enevetable ,with a cold start at 2250 it is going to loosen up the engine reguardles of what you do.I figgure if I run the factory filter ,that will be one less arguement they will have when they have to replace my engine before I get rid of it.This problem has already cost them a sale on a new Pathfinder.My wife hears my pickup and wants no part of anotherone with the same problem.

Tags
cold, engine, knock