Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Vibration Issue Forums > > Vibration Issue Vibration Issue
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 09-17-2009, 07:16 AM
VictorB

Default Vibration Issue

I just purchased a 2009 Frontier XE King Cab last month. I went through an ordeal with a noticeable vibration. When I returned to the dealer to have the problem checked out, they informed me that the road force readings were unacceptable & they would replace the rear tires. When I went in to have that done, they replaced the rear tires & had me ride with the service tech to check it out. I told them there was still a vibration. They brought the vehicle back & after another hour came out & said, "your'e all set". The only thing thing the service manager told me was they had ordered an extra tire so they put that one on also. I drove off noticing an improvement but still feeling a vibration. Only after speaking to the service manager today did I learn that they had to contact Nissan the day they replaced the rear tires because Nissan only allows 2 tires to be changed at a time even though the road force readings were unacceptable on all 4 tires! The service manager said "this is the 3rd time this guy has been in here with this issue". So Nissan gave him the ok to put the extra new tire on the front & they took my spare & put that on the front as well!
I'm seriously upset with the way this has been handled & I still have a vibration. I actually ended up taking the truck to another Nissan dealer & they said they couldn't detect any irregular vibration. I understand that a truck rides stiffer than a car but if the vibration I feel on smooth highway is acceptable than Nissan makes a piece of crap truck.
I'm not quite sure what my options are at this point.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2006 Altima

Describe the vibration. Is it only at certain speeds? Does it come and go? Is it pretty much a set frequency or does it vary with speed or engine RPM? Is it only in high gear? Is this a stick or automatic? Give any info you can come up with.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:58 AM
VictorB

The vibration is felt primarily in the seats. It can be felt at all speeds but is more noticeable on the highway at between 60- 70 mph. You can see the passenger seat shake and I'm guessing the driver seat would show that same shake as well. The truck is a 5 speed stick. Another strange thing that I have noticed is hard to describe but can be felt in the shifter. When the vibration was really bad before the replacement of the tires, the shifter showed a visible shake. Now I have noticed what I can only describe as a pulse or knock that can be felt when I put my hand on top of the shifter. That feeling is only felt during acceleration. As soon as I let off the gas, it subsides. I'm not sure if that is related to the vibration or not. It's obvious I am being really sensitive to any abnormalities now but I can't imagine that this truck, being brand new, should show any shaking or vibration except over uneven surfaces.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2006 Altima

Try seeing if the vibration frequency varies with speed. Also try going 60MPH and depressing the clutch to see if the vibration is as noticable. Does seem to be the tires.

Check the air pressure in the tires. If they have 32 try 28 to see if there is a difference in the vibration.

Last edited by madmantrapper; 09-18-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: add:
Old 10-01-2009, 11:07 AM
VictorB

The frequency of the vibration doesn't seem to change with speed but it is most noticeable around 60MPH. Depressing the clutch does eliminate the knocking that is felt in the shifter. Simply accelerating causes that to be noticeable. I did release some pressure from the tires. Although it seems to ride a bit smoother overall, it didn't effect the vibration.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

try to see when your truck was manufactured and compare to when you purchased it... i think the truck sat on a holding lot for a long time and the tires developed a flat spot on all tires..

you could try reaching manufacturer direct.....

but you should talk to the dealership management.... they all know that tires get flat spots if vehicle is not sold or used withing a specific time.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

He had the tires replaced already. But The vibration in the shifter will be noticable even if you did not have a vibration. But however. I have seen the rear rotors having a slight high spot from sitting for so long. I am not saying that this is the problem but a poss source. In order for this vibration to be diagnosed properly you need to take to a facility that has an electronic vibration anaylizer AKA EVA. This will tell you the order of vibration based on frequency of the vibration. There is a chart that is used for type and general location of the vibration. Some have used a regular guitar tuner and a chart. But this probably your best bet to figure out the source of vibration.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:34 AM
VictorB

Any idea who might provide the EVA testing? I'm pretty sur the dealership that I bought the truck from doesn't have it.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:12 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Bottom line is you have a new truck that has a problem and that problem should be taken care of by the dealer.Go back and if you have to stand on somebodies desk and pound on your chest.Use the 800 number found in your warrenty book and tell the dealer that your not happy with the service.The time for being nice is over and you have right as a consumer to have the truck fixed properly.I'an sorry for the trouble you are having with your truck as there are many of us who love are Frontiers.Keep trying and let us know how it shakes out.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:42 PM
MyFrontier04

Lightbulb Steering Clumn Shaking

Hey Guys,

I'm having a similar problem where my steering wheel will shake at certain speeds. It starts around 50mph and goes away around 75mph. Last week the shaking couldn't be noticed until 60mph.

A friend had a similar problem with their vehicle that turned out to be an issue with the drive shaft. My mechanic took a look at my drive shaft and didn't notice anything.

It's an 04 Frontier with 72k miles. The belts have been squeaking (even though they were replaced in May 09), and I also had to replace 3/4 tires because the treads fell apart while I was driving. This caused some body damage (ripped off a couple supporting struts for front bumper...these looked cosmetic so I just zip strapped them...possibly a bad idea?) No other issues that I know of.

Any ideas on what could be causing the shaking? What other maintenance do I need to be doing to keep Frontiers in good repair? This is my first vehicle and I'm trying to learn everything I can. Thanks in advance!

Tags
issue, vibration