Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
00 Fronty - Degreased Engine = P1705/P0325 Forums > > 00 Fronty - Degreased Engine = P1705/P0325 00 Fronty - Degreased Engine = P1705/P0325
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 07-28-2009, 07:55 PM
soke2001

Default 00 Fronty - Degreased Engine = P1705/P0325

Hi there. I'm the owner of a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab V6. After degreasing my truck engine last Friday the check engine light came on and displayed the following codes P1705 (Throttle Position Sensor) and P0325 (Knock Sensor).

Symptoms: I clear my codes and turn my truck on. My Overdrive Light comes on and flashes 16 times. As I take off the check engine light comes on and stays on. My transmission changes gears only after reaching the 40k rpms which is way high. I purchased a OBD II reader in hopes of being able to fix this problem myself. However here are a few questions I have:

1st: Is there a possibilty that the P0325 code is a consequence of code P1705. (I had the knock sensor replaced recently.)

2nd: Is replacing the Throttle Position Sensor a simple task? I read thru my Haynes manual and it talks about some sort of adjustment changes using an ohmeter and a guage. I was hoping it was more for a plug and play.

3rd: Is there another way of fixing this problem? At first I thought it would be my Vehicle Speed Sensor, but my speedometer works find and the scanner only shows the TPS/Knock sensors.

Please help. I would hate to pay $65 for the diagnostic + the repair fees.

2000 Nissan Frontier
Crew Cab.
A/T
182,000 miles and sort of still running.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1985 300ZX

You probably just got water in the connections. Carefully unhook the connections for the sensors mentioned and blow them out with compressed air and wipe clean both sides then connect them and see if the codes come back.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:03 PM
soke2001

Hi there, thanks for your reply. I thought that also. However, it's been over 1 week since it started doing this. Also, the knock sensor is very difficult to get into, do you think it's possible to remove/reconnect that sensor without taking apart my engine compartment?
Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1985 300ZX

You should be able to get to the connection without taking anything apart. Just because it has been some time doen't mean all the water or grease is gone from the connection.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:09 PM
soke2001

Hi there Fellas, just wanted to give you the lastest/greatest with my problem. I tried blowing my sensor connections with air hoping that would clear my problem, but it didn't. So I took my truck to the local shop and they just called me indicating that the knock sensor needs to be replaced (They charge $150 plus the part) which would clear my code P0325. BUT what threw me off is that the dude claims my P1705 problem is due to my transmission going bad. I doubt this, since I've had zero problems with my tranny. I think he scanned my truck and read the verbage related to my P1705 code mentions the word transmission. My manual claims a P1705 code is the TPS sensor, which would cause problems with my tranny shiftng between gears.

What would your take be? It sounds like they're trying to trick me. Please advise, thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

The tps sensor has 2 potentiometers. 1 is for engine control the other is an input for the transmission control unit. It is a possibilty that the sensor was shorted when you cleaned your engine by water intrusion in the connectors. What you would have to do is connect a meter to the sensor and test the voltage should be .4 volts closed throttle and 4. volts Wot. If you do not have this you have to replace the sensor.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:40 PM
gscivally

Did you replace the tps and if so did it fix your problem because I'm having exact same problem.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 AM
2000 Xterra

I had these same codes during a trip in Mexico,I drive a 2000 Xterra 4x4 A/T,and all of the sudden "service engine light"came on and tranny was shifting hard and after 4000 rpm and couldnt get o/d to work,so I stop at the closest autozone and get the codes pulled, p0325 and p1705, I bought the TPS sensor and went back home,I also pulled the codes from the tranny TCU and the same result,tps bad!
Firts i disconected both wires from battery and put them contact for 45 seconds(this will erase the codes from the ECU by making the circuits dump any memory current)
Then i marked the old one and replaced it,trying to get it in the same position,then i measured the resistance with a DMM starting at 0.45 closed throtle and 4.5 WOT,after this i warmed up to normal idle,did the "acceleretor positiong learning" , "throtle valve closed position learning" and "idle air volume learning"(Throtle positiong learning) This procedures can be found on TECHNO SQUARE. And both codes disapear and my xterra its back on the road as smoth as always!!! All of this without the consult II tool!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:07 PM
2000 Frontier Crew Cab

Default Degreased Engine and shorted out Throttle Position Sensor

Thanx Xterra312, followed your advice/steps and repaired my truck! I'll be more careful next time I clean my engine. Thank god for these forums!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 PM
2000 Xterra

You are welcome! Im glad this info was helpful to you! Thats why we all are here, to help each other!

Tags
degreased, engine, fronty, p1705 or p0325