Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Nissan Frontier with a miss. Forums > > 2004 Nissan Frontier with a miss. 2004 Nissan Frontier with a miss.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 04-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Flintstone_flyer

Default 2004 Nissan Frontier with a miss.

I have a 04 Frontier with 170,000 miles on it. The check engine light came on and I had it tested at Advance Auto and they said it was an EGR code. Now here is the strange part, the engine runs and idles fine but when you accelerate at 1500rpms it developes a miss then goes away after 1500 rpm. Could the EGR and the miss be related. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Also it is better to go ahead and replace the EGR or try to clean it?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

check this thread out, i htink u may have to clean something 1st http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/front...ns-smooth.html also check out the service manual and download the engine control section that will tell u more info on your code http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...html?catid=174

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 04-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

What engine is in the vehicle?
Old 04-25-2009, 03:44 AM
Flintstone_flyer

It is a 4cyl.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:52 AM
booklikeabook

I just had this same problem and the cause was clogged EGR tubes. I posted about it at clubfrontier.org under my same user namebooklikeabook...

Does your mileage suck?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:04 AM
Flintstone_flyer

Default Now what?

Ok I removed the EGR valve and tube and cleaned it really good with 2 cans of brake cleaner I replaced the plug wires distributor cap rotor button and plugs with factory replacement parts and guess what I still have the miss. Now it is comes and goes not a constant miss. What is my next step? Do I need to replace the EGR, hope not because it was a mother to get off and back on! HELP!
Old 05-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Flintstone_flyer

Anyone have any suggestions.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1985 300ZX

Did you check the operation fo the EGR valve? You should be able to apply some vaccum and see the EGR activate. if it does not then it is bad probably the diaphram is cracked. If it works then look for a bad vaccum hose going to the EGR valve. Look for cracks and holes especially at connections and where abraision may happen from rubbing on somehthing.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Flintstone_flyer

Ok guys I am going to bring this one back one more time. I now have replaced the egr valve with a brand new factory one as well as replaced the vaccum lines to the egr. IT STILL IS MISSING at 1500rpms. Any last suggestions before I break down and take it to a shop$$$$$$$$.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:32 AM
RoccoV

On other vehicles with high mileage, I have found that ports beyond the EGR valve have been carbonned shut, preventing EGR flow from reaching the induction system. The lack of EGR flow will throw off the air/fuel mixture and cause a lean condition; hence, the miss. Once the engine computer sees that the EGR valve has been commanded on, and no electrical faults are present, it adjusts the air/fuel mixture to compensate for EGR flow. The path of EGR flow may be different for every engine encountered, although carbon build-up is many times the cause of system problems.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Frontier

The EGR valve itself can be checked by pressing on the diaphragm, and seeing if it makes the motor stumble at idle. It should. If not, the pintle is not allowing air through the bore. Either the pintle bore itself is fouled, or the hose is fouled TO the valve.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:29 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Concure with Schrade.Also the 4 ports located inside the intake manifold are prone to clogging.The result will be hi exhaust gas temp(can be seen using a Consult 2).If you do remove the ERG valve make sure you have a new gasket to replace the old one.To get to the exhaust ports look at the manifold and you will see 4 counter sunk hex plugs. Under each one there will be a port.I've seen this many times and sometimes the ports will become so clogged that it's difficule to see the ports but they are there.

Tags
2004, frontier, miss, nissan