Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Nissan Altima (Burned Wires) Forums > > 2003 Nissan Altima (Burned Wires) 2003 Nissan Altima (Burned Wires)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-09-2016, 06:54 PM
2003 Altima Sedan
2003 Altima

Default 2003 Nissan Altima (Burned Wires)

2003 Nissan Altima 3.5L V6
- Body 278000 miles
- Engine 120000 miles

- Ok here we go:
1. I wanted to change the color of instrument panel so I order this:
https://vod.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderD...paymentstatus=

2. As you can imagine the item did not come with instructions of installation, but with 2 links to some installation videos for a Ford Explorer and BMW. Also the gauge faces came with its own power converter which require for me to place the black cable to (-12v) and the red cable to (+12V).

3. After doing some search for some time. I came across a link where they tell you to test the voltage with a Voltage meter to know the power source.
Well to my surprise I could not find the source after testing a few sources, which I'm pretty sure I did something wrong, is not that is not there.

********Important*************
Prior to purchased the item above. in my attempt to change the color of the instrument panel lights I purchased this item:
https://vod.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderD...paymentstatus=

After installing the lights in the back of the instrument panel, and changing the housing of all 12 lights that go in the back of the instrument panel. The instrument panel now was green instead of the orange. So i decide to leave it there since I like the green color a little better. Well My wife was driving the car about 2 days after the installation. And a burned smell came from ac/heater vents. Also a lot of smoke came in the car through the outer area of the instrument panel, and the bottom of the steering wheel.

So having this issue after purchasing both items, I decided that it was not worth the headache, and decided to purchased the original instrument panel from Ebay, and I installed it. Well everything seems that went back to normal. Once I connected the negative cable onto the battery, Service Engine light came on (Well the light came on when my wife experience the smoke inside the car).

Took car to O'Relly for them to run the scanner, and this is what they found.

- Variable Valve Timing Solenoid (Bank 1 and Bank 2)
- Speed Sensor
- Fuel Cap Sensor
- And about 8 other codes, but they all mean the same as the three above.

All three of these items, are related to some electrical wiring in order for them to function.

So before I start buying sensor and all, how can I check for (the cable that I'm assuming they got burned some how, when my wife experienced the smoke inside the car)
****Also, my car is running on high RPM, and it seems that it does not change gears after 3rd. At 65mph is at 2500rpm. And even though it can go faster than that, the RPMs keeps going up, and the gear does not switch. Which I know that the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid has a lot to do with this, and also the Speed Sensor.

Any help and hope will be greatly appreciated. I love this car, but after putting an engine, radiator, thermostat, new tires, water pump, fuel pump, battery, instrument panel, and bumper, I'm starting to not love this car so much anymore.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:08 PM
2015 Rogue

Check all of the fuses first.
ASE Master Certified.

Tags
2003, altima, burned, nissan, wires