Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Altima 3.5 Radio Problem Forums > > Altima 3.5 Radio Problem Altima 3.5 Radio Problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Audio, Video & Electronics Audio, Video & Electronics posts concerning all models. iPod, Navigation, Bluetooth

Old 06-30-2007, 10:54 AM
DallasFire

Default Altima 3.5 Radio Problem

The stereo in my 05 Altima abruptly quit while driving down the road. The radio itself still powers up and will even change tracks on the CD player; just no sound out of the speakers at all. When the key is turned off and then back on, I can hear the speaker "pop" as if power was reaching them. Has anyone had this problem before? Could this be a blown fuse somewhere? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:55 AM
dkwells19

Our radio does the same thing in our 2002 Altima 2.5 S, it will stop emitting sound suddenly then it will usually come back on at the next start up....yesteday, however, it shut off and has yet to come back on....all other radio functions seem to be working normally...just no sound...any luck diagnosing the problem?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

In both cases sounds like the radio it is the problem, but you should always start by checking the fuses, not only the audio fuse but all the fuses.

Also, the audio system can be reset by disconnection the car battery for about 5 minutes and reconnect. Sometimes that will work.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:46 PM
DallasFire

Thanks, I will disconnect the battery cable tomorrow and see if that works.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:47 PM
DallasFire

Disconnected the battery with no change. HOWEVER, the speakers suddenly started playing again while driving down the road. The cut off again when I later stopped and opened/closed the door or shut the trunk lid. Obiviously a loose connection (maybe speaker wire connection at the back of the radio) Next question is has anyone taken off the trim cover over the radio? Is it clipped in or are there hidden screws somewhere? Once again, any info will be greatly appreciated. I dont want to break anything.

Last edited by DallasFire; 07-01-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Hope this helps:
Attached Thumbnails
Altima 3.5 Radio Problem-figure001-gif   Altima 3.5 Radio Problem-figure002-gif  
Old 07-02-2007, 04:19 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFire View Post
Disconnected the battery with no change. HOWEVER, the speakers suddenly started playing again while driving down the road. The cut off again when I later stopped and opened/closed the door or shut the trunk lid. Obiviously a loose connection (maybe speaker wire connection at the back of the radio) Next question is has anyone taken off the trim cover over the radio? Is it clipped in or are there hidden screws somewhere? Once again, any info will be greatly appreciated. I dont want to break anything.
Does this car have a bose system in it?
ASE Master Certified.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:55 PM
DallasFire

This car does not have the Bose system. However, the speakers are playing just fine now and have for a couple of days. Go Figure!!
Old 07-07-2007, 06:14 AM
2015 Rogue

May just be a loose connection.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:51 PM
DallasFire

That is what I am hoping for. Hopefully I will have time to get to the back of the radio tomorrow. I figure that the connection if loose would be at the back of the radio since all four speakers are affected at the exact same time. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:00 PM
DallasFire

After looking at the back of the radio, I decided to check the wiring to the speakers. Lo and Behold, a speaker wire was touching the coil and shorting out every speaker. Thanks anyway for the advice.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFire View Post
After looking at the back of the radio, I decided to check the wiring to the speakers. Lo and Behold, a speaker wire was touching the coil and shorting out every speaker. Thanks anyway for the advice.
Super on getting your Radio working again.

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 07-26-2008, 07:21 PM
2006 Altima Sedan
1990 Truck

Default What Coil?

You mentioned that a speaker wire was touching a coil. What coil are you referring to and where is it located. I am having the exact same problem with my altima of the same year and I want to know where to look first. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:25 AM
RollingGood

I'm having the same problem with my radio. The only time it starts playing where you can hear the music again is after hitting a bump while going into a curve.

Where do you check the fuses at as I thought it might just be the speakers because, all of the lights are on for the radio and it spins and goes through the cd tracks.

What should I do because, I like to hear music when I'm riding.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:46 PM
2006 Altima Sedan
1990 Truck

I found that the short was one of the contacts on the rear speakers. Apparently, we put too much stuff in the trunk and one of our many items hit the contact and bent it against the metal of the speaker. Bent it back and it worked great. Thanks all.

Tags
altima, problem, radio