Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
keyless start problem Forums > > keyless start problem keyless start problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 09-07-2008, 05:12 AM
Bill J

Default keyless start problem

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima with the keyless starting. I have had two occurrences already where at random I try to start the car and it would not start. I try this numerous times without any success. I push the starter button, it goes from lock, to acc to start but never starts. You do not hear the engine or starter kick. Each time I have had it in the shop, they claim there were no error codes produced and they could not replicate the problem. Has anybody else encountered these problems? Please advise.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

It is possible that the key is not working properly. When the problem is occurring try using a different key. Also, do you have any other type of transmitters on your key ring? Sometimes that can interfere with the key signal.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
1998 Pathfinder
2001 maxima 20th aninvers

stupid question...are you depressing the brake pedal then the start button? do you have brake lights?.....i've come across 2 altimas now with this issue and both ended up being the brake switch
Old 09-24-2008, 04:34 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima
2008 Versa

Before even reading master tech's response, I had the same thought about the brake switch.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:25 PM
JboydK

Default Same here

I know this thread has been here a while, but my 2007 Altima is having the same problem. It had happened randomly before, but today I couldn't get the car to start. My wife tried using her key and eventually got it to start but there never seemed to be any rhyme or reason.

I know it's not the battery because we just got a new one about 5 months ago.

We thought it had something to do with the wheel lock security system. The steering wheel was locked up pretty well and we tried the tips in the manual about that and that didn't seem to work. You telling me Nissan couldn't help you isn't giving me much hope.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

If this problem occurs there may be a couple items that can cause this because I had them. either the bcm or ecm will give you this issue. ensure that all the fuses are ok. but hopefully it will get worse to be able to fix the problem. If not you would have to leave your vehicle at the servicde dept until they find it.
Also do you have a remote starter installed, if so this could be a fault. the keys loose memory and the nats go into lock mode until approx 10 mins, than vehicle will start.

I hope this helps you
Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 PM
JboydK

I took it to the dealership today. It was the brake switch. They replaced it and now it's working fine.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:39 PM
vvolpicelli

Unhappy keyless start problem on 07 altima

I just sent my 2007 altima to a dealership by a tow truck as it would not start. It has been taking several tries to get it started the past two weeks. I changed the battery in the Intellikey, and that did not help. I am not happy with all the possible causes people stated. I am not sure I like the push button start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JboydK View Post
I know this thread has been here a while, but my 2007 Altima is having the same problem. It had happened randomly before, but today I couldn't get the car to start. My wife tried using her key and eventually got it to start but there never seemed to be any rhyme or reason.

I know it's not the battery because we just got a new one about 5 months ago.

We thought it had something to do with the wheel lock security system. The steering wheel was locked up pretty well and we tried the tips in the manual about that and that didn't seem to work. You telling me Nissan couldn't help you isn't giving me much hope.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Z-Factor

Hello,

I think I have a "Keyless entry system warning light on" but my keyless entry working fine, after checking I found out that its about the steering wheel to be locked after turning off the car.

it does not lock, any idea if this is a self-repair problem ? or any ideas?

thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 AM
jkovar

hi,

I have the same problem: 2009 altima, and at random times it wont start, i t just cycles from off to AC to On to off. It doesnt even sound like it will turn over. If i "lock" all the doors wirelessly then try to start it, it will at times work ( i have no idea why that would be the case....). Other times it starts just fine. Going to bring it into the dealer tomorrow. Any suggestions? thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 05:31 AM
2007 Altima

My 2007 Altima problems started with occasionally not being able to shift out of Park. Then it became constant. I had to unlock the shift lever every time to shift out of Park. Drove it this way for a couple of weeks. Then one morning at home it would not start. Engine would not crank.

Discovered that the starter was OK but the starter solenoid was not getting the 12 volt start signal. Stopped by the Nissan Dealer to ask the Service Manager about possibility of warranty coverage under the powertrain warranty. He asked if I had brake lights. Checked when I returned home and found that I did not. I removed the stop light switch. Pushed the button several times and checked it with a multi-meter. It appeared to be OK.

I put everything back together and started to remove personal items from the car in preparation for having it towed to the dealership. Decided to give it one last try at starting. Sat down, pressed brake pedal, pushed start button.......... it started. Repeated this about three times. It worked. I was a happy camper. Later I thought, "I should try the shift lever". Went back out, started the car ........ it shifted out of park.

Conclusion: Both shifting problem and starting problem caused by dirty switch contacts or poor connection in wiring connector at the stop light switch.

Last edited by jwells393; 05-28-2011 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:12 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

"nissan master tech" you started your response with.....stupid question.....

Does anyone else think Bill J question was a stupid question?

nissan master tech said in 2 cases he encountered it was the faulty brake switch.

If Bill J problem was a faulty brake swtich, how in hell nissan master tech labeled Bill J question stupid.

"nissan master tech" I hope you're not one of those auto tech who forget to tightened intake duct connection, reconnect wire connectors properly or just plain do your job in a professional manner......

Because frankly, your Comment tells me you do half ass job....
Old 05-28-2011, 04:16 PM
2007 Altima

bennyb53

I didn't read nissan master tech's "stupid question" as referring to Bill J's original question. I read it as .......... here's a stupid question .... are you depressing the brake pedal ........... referring to nissan master tech's own question.

Lighten up man.

Last edited by jwells393; 05-28-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:41 PM
2013 Altima

Hi Jwells393,
I just took this pic from my 08 alty....
looks like there r 2 switches....
can u tell us which one OR both u removed & cleaned???

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:04 PM
2007 Altima

The one on the left is the stop lamp switch. You twist the body of the switch and it should release allowing you to pull it out. You may want to disconnect the connector first although you could probably release it with the connector on.

To re-install the switch, slip it through the hole and give it a twist to lock it in place.

Good luck ........ hope it works for you. First check to see if you have brake lights.

This seems to be a very common problem. When I was at the dealership describing my problem there were three Nissan guys standing there. One of them said it might be the brake light switch. When my switch checked out to be OK when checked with the multi-meter, I thought the problem had to be something else. Luckily I tried to start it before calling for a tow truck.

Last edited by jwells393; 06-12-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Tags
airbag light flashing, keyless, problem, start