Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Altima srs airbag warning lamp reset Forums > > Altima srs airbag warning lamp reset Altima srs airbag warning lamp reset
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 08-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Alwayspersevere

Default Altima srs airbag warning lamp reset

I repaired my front damaged altima 3.5 2007. I replaced the driver airbag, the deployment module(located under the arm rest console),the 2 front seat belts(male components) & the front hood crash sensor. All replacement parts are new oem , sold by a nissan dealership.

Once the new components have been installed I went to my local nissan dealer to have the airbag warning light resetted . The mechanic stopped the light from flashing by using a diagnostic tool (50$). Two weeks later the same warning began to blink again. I returned to the dealership asking to know the trouble code normally provided by the tool. After connecting the tool the service tech replied that the light was turned off and that the toll gave no trouble code whatsoever. Cynical, he said that may be my car is haunted. I paid another 50$ and went on. 6 days later the same lamp went on blinking again. I 've applied the diagnostic mode recommanded in the service manual(without consult III tool). At that time the lamp went off for two seconds then on for three seconds keeping on this cycle indefinitely.

According to these results , the service manual diagnostic chart explains the only thing to do is to connect the tool and erase the code. Is there anybody who know how to do this procedure successfully so that I can compare with the one in use at my local dealership. Thank you
Old 08-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

If the car was in an accident, it is possible that the door switch (or door) is not adjusted properly, thus making the Air Bag System go in the self diagnostic mode. Try resetting the light with this procedure: Nissan Air Bag Resseting and check the door adjustment.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Alwayspersevere

Default Thanks to Nissantech for advice;Further advice welcome

The car doesn't switch to diagnostic mode all by itself. Applying the procedure you described switch the airbag warning light from user mode to diagnostic mode(without the consult III tool). When doing so, the warning light blinking pattern change to the following;
7 seconds on ...then 2 seconds off... then three seconds on..then 2 seconds off...then 3 seconds on and so on. This self diagnostic result must be analysed with the troubleshooting chart found in service manual, section h page 70. Since the result doesn't lead to no particular malfunction, Nissan recommends to do the following actions:

a) Stop the light from blinking by pressing ignition button once more
b) Connect consult III diagnostic tool
c) CAREFULLY Apply diagnostic procedure 2 &3 written on page 15 section h

I think that these steps were poorly performed at my local Nissan dealership after two unsuccessful trials costing me 100$. I would like to know your opinion on this. Thanks

Sincerely

Alwayspersevere

Last edited by Alwayspersevere; 08-05-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Missing dot at end of first sentence
Old 01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
nissaltimahelp

I just tried this method and it worked great. I have an 08 nissan altima. thanks!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:22 PM
2007 Altima
2000 Altima

So this works with the push button switch too? Go from 'on' (one push), to 'off' (two quick pushes)? Just trying to be clear before attempting. All help appreciated.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:27 PM
2010 Altima
1997 Altima

Works for the push-button type:

-----------------------------from nicoclub forum---------------------
push the ignition from OFF to ON
the air bag warning light will appear for about 7 seconds and turns off.
then push igniition switch OFF immediately.
after ignition switch is turned OFF, wait for about 6 seconds.
after you REPEAT THE PROCEDURE 3 TIMES, push the ignition switch ON, this time the *SRS* (airbag) warning light has been reset.
step on the brake and push the button to start the car. turn the ignition off and start the car. Hope this will help. I did this procedure to my car and it works.
---------------------------------

Seems to work even for push-button systems. Tap twice to "on," wait until the SRS light turns off, then shut down (push button again) quickly. Waiting longer than 6 or 7 seconds (I counted to 14-one-thousand) may be safer. Do the procedure 3 times (or was it 4 total?), start the car (push button with brake depressed), turn it off, and then turn it back to "on" (double tap without pressing brake). The SRS light should be blinking in a different pattern. This means you've reached diagnostic mode (GOOD SIGN). Press the brake and start the car, and the light should go off after the 7 second test-timer. I'm about to go out to make sure it stays off.

PS: On another forum, for Nissan Sentras of an earlier year, someone did mention turning the car to on with the door open and then pressing the door switch (rubber button on the door frame, close to the latch) several times. It did seem to reset the car computer (wipers going off and lights flashing), but didn't cause the SRS to enter diagnostic mode. The mentioned method works for late-model altimas (at least my 2010 Altima 2.5).

Tags
airbag, altima, lamp, reset, srs, warning