Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hard start....like it is flooded. Forums > > Hard start....like it is flooded. Hard start....like it is flooded.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 07-15-2008, 10:43 AM
johnsaw

Default Hard start....like it is flooded.

I have a 2002 2.5SL Altima. I been having problems with the car hard starting like it is flooded. I have read several other postings on the web but no one has posted the solution.
If you try to start the car it will just crank and crank and crank. If you barely touch the gas, it will kick over and run rough for a second. After it has clear the fuel out (exhaust smells very rich), the idle jumps to 2000 rpms and begins to fluctuate between 2000 and 500 rpms. If you driving and let off the gas, the car drags down, surges forward and drags down again.
The recall for the reprogram has been complete, Crank Angle sensor was replace after the car died while driving, Throttle body has been cleaned, and spark plugs replaced. The check engine light is on and is giving an Air/Idle sensor code. Where is it located?
I am also curious about the two vacuum lines that come out of the manifold just to the left of the Thottle body. What is their purpose?

any ideas welcome.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Air/Idle sensor code
Do you have the actual number of the code? like Pxxxx. I think the code can help diagnose the problem. By best guess is the air flow meter, but with the code you can properly diagnose the problem.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:43 PM
csz

I am having the same problems. My engine light does not go off. The mechanic told me that if you don't replace the crank shaft your car can die at any time and it won't start up again until you replace it. It could be a day or up to a year.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by csz View Post
I am having the same problems. My engine light does not go off. The mechanic told me that if you don't replace the crank shaft your car can die at any time and it won't start up again until you replace it. It could be a day or up to a year.
areu sure its the crankshaft scan your car at autozone or orilys for free and post the codes here so we can help u out. i had aa freinds who was told that he need the whole engine replaced cause the cranshaft was messed but when my mechanic went and took a look at it it was jusst loose and needed to be tightened, so might want to check it out cause im sure its gonna be expensive if it actually is the crankshaft. what are some of your symptoms.

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 07-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by csz View Post

You mean the crank shaft sensor I hope and not the crank shaft itself.

How did you mechanic diagnose the vehicle without a code? Although the sensor is a good guess, he should base his diagnosis on something. There are many things that can make an engine hard to start:

- Battery
- Keys or key program.
- AAC valve
- Fuel pump
- Spark plugs
- Air filter
- Throttle body
- etc.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

thats what im thinking a sensor cause it be pretty hard to drive the car with a bad crankshaft
Old 07-16-2008, 06:30 PM
johnsaw

engine codes
p1122
p0123
p0223
p0507
per autozone.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

p1122 = Electric Throttle Control Function
p0123 = There is no P0123. P0132 is the O2 sensor.
p0223 = Electric Throttle Control Actuator
p0507 = Idle Speed Control System

It seems that the problem is with the "Throttle Actuator System" This is common problem and it usually require to replaced the throttle body, but before replacing it, you should do the "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning", "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" and the "Idle Air Volume Learning".

Here are the instructions:

Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning
DESCRIPTION
“Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning” is an operation to learn the fully released position of the accelerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of accelerator pedal position sensor or ECM is disconnected.
OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
DESCRIPTION
“Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning” is an operation to learn the fully closed position of the throttle valve by monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of electric throttle control actuator or ECM is disconnected.
OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.
Idle Air Volume Learning
DESCRIPTION
“Idle Air Volume Learning” is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific range. It must be performed under any of the following conditions:
-Each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced.
-Idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.
PREPARATION
Before performing “Idle Air Volume Learning”, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.
- Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
- Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 95°C (158 - 203°F)
- PNP switch: ON
- Electric load switch: OFF (Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)
* On vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, set lighting switch to the 1st position to light only small lamps.
- Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
- Vehicle speed: Stopped
- Transmission: Warmed-up
NOTE:
- It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
- It is impossible to switch the diagnostic mode when an accelerator pedal position sensor circuit
has a malfunction.
1. Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" .
2. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic “PRE-CONDITIONING” (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off.

Last edited by NissanTech; 07-16-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:33 PM
johnsaw

What is a PMP switch and what is MIL (Message Indicator Light)

What if the MIL Doesnt go off?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
What is a PMP switch
You mean PNP, Park and Neutral Position switch, just means that the shifter has to be on "Park" or "Neutral"

Quote:
MIL (Message Indicator Light)
"Malfunction Indicator Light"

Quote:
What if the MIL Doesnt go off?
You have to do it again, but just the idle part.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:26 AM
rmpins96

I am having the same issues with my 2002 Altima which just started of late. I have had it in for diagnostics (not with dealer) but no one seems to know what is going on.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpins96 View Post
I am having the same issues with my 2002 Altima which just started of late. I have had it in for diagnostics (not with dealer) but no one seems to know what is going on.
Have you done any tests?
Old 07-25-2008, 06:40 PM
RedForman

Are you up to date on recalls? Recall NTB07-081 can cause these symptoms. Yes the actual recall is fro the engine shutting off, but these same faults can cause a hard start condition and/or hesitation on acceleration. Grab your vin number and call your local dealership and ask them to check for recalls.
Here is a tip to avoid possible shady dealership. Tell them about your problem after you check for recalls
Old 07-26-2008, 03:06 AM
2015 Rogue

Faulty crank sensors cause hard starts in the altimas. Oil gets through sensor into the connector and causes the readins on the sensor to fluctuate. There is a newly designed sensor to correct this.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:32 PM
johnsaw

i have replace the throttle body and Relearned the idle air volume and my altima's idle is constant at about 800 to 850 RPMs (which is where it used to be) The MIL is no longer on but the car is still starting hard. I had the Crankshaft position sensor replaced last september @ the Dealership. Do I need to replace this again?
Where is the sensor located so I can do it myself? It cost 396.21 for 23731-6n20d

Is there a place online to check for Recalls verses my VIN?

Last edited by johnsaw; 08-02-2008 at 06:35 PM.

Tags
flooded, hard, startlike