Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 - heat circ problems Forums > > 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 - heat circ problems 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 - heat circ problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 01-28-2008, 06:54 AM
TerryB

Default 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 - heat circ problems

I've got a 2004 Nissan Altima that appears to have heat circulation problems. Going down the highway, the heater works great... but, once you idle down below 30mph the heat vents cool down and by the time you come to a stop it is blowing cold air? Also, if you start the car to warm it up, the engine temp warms up but the heater only blows cold air at idle. Any ideas?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
I've got a 2004 Nissan Altima that appears to have heat circulation problems. Going down the highway, the heater works great... but, once you idle down below 30mph the heat vents cool down and by the time you come to a stop it is blowing cold air? Also, if you start the car to warm it up, the engine temp warms up but the heater only blows cold air at idle. Any ideas?
Take a look at the Technical Service Bulletin on http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/261

Select:
NTB02-047c
2002–2006 NISSAN ALTIMA; POOR HEATER PERFORMANCE
Air from the heater on an Applied Vehicle:
• Takes a long time to warm up after an engine cold start, or
• Output air cools down and is not warm enough while the engine is at idle, or
• Output air is not warm enough at any engine speed

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store

Last edited by vpnavy; 01-28-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 AM
TerryB

Default heat problems

I've checked off the Service Bulletin issues. Any other ideas?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:09 PM
faiqahmed

Hi, I have the same problem. Changed thermostat, rad cap, coolant flush even did the bleed procedure as per the Nissan Bullentin NTB02-047c
2002–2006 NISSAN ALTIMA; POOR HEATER PERFORMANCE. Still have no heat on idle!!??? Please help?!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 PM
2004 Armada

you ever figure this out? Mines doing the same thing
Old 12-11-2009, 10:40 PM
faiqahmed

Nope :( Freezing my butt off at idle. Worst scenerio and most expensive is to get the heater core replaced. I refuse to do that.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:13 AM
TYTHONGDETH

YES But replacing is the pain because you have to remove the whole dash board I love the car but tI hate Stupid Nissan engineer it cannot be done like the older model if you take to the shop they chage around $200 labor
If you do you self it will take 2 days for an average do it your self so that is Dump and stupid engineer
Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 AM
TYTHONGDETH

Suggestion buy 12v electric heater from freight habor 2 for the front that will heat up keep yourself warm and it cost me $10.00 each
Old 12-05-2011, 06:11 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

I wrote up a procedure on how to do this as it is a common problem with Altimas but I can't find it.

However, you can do a Youtube search and actually see how someone does do it.

From memory,

Park car with front end raised as much as possible. I have raised it using drive on ramps, 2 feet is good, more would be better, less isn't as good.

With a cool radiator, remove the radiator cap and use a piece of wire (like a clothes hanger), shaped like a U and insert it in the valve of the radiator cap; this will keep the radiator from pressurizing and force liquid and air out to the reservoir. Replace cap (make sure that wire is secure in the valve and will not fall out.

Now, remove reservoir from its location and make sure it is at least full of coolant to the HOT mark. Hang the reservoir from the hood, leaving the overflow hose connected to it.

Now, crank car and let engine warm to normal operating temperature. Turn on heat and set thermostat to highest setting. Open windows so heat can escape.

Occasionally rev engine to 2000-3000 rpm and notice as you do this, the fluid in the overflow reservoir will bubble; this is air exiting from the system. Continue to rev and then let idle several times until the air becomes less and less. At idle, you should now begin to feel heat.

After several minutes (may take as much as 10 minutes), shut car off If you are getting heat out of the vents at idle, you have probably removed all air from system. Remove radiator cap and remove wire holding the valve open. Replace radiator cap. Now, re-install the reservoir into its normal place. Make sure reservoir still has correct amount of coolant, if not, fill to HOT line. Always keep it to this point, never let it drop, if it does, air will be reintroduced into system.

Crank it and check heat, should be good at idle and when driving. If you still do not have heat at idle, you may repeat this process and see if this corrects the problem.

Other possibilities include a stuck thermostat but if you get heat at drive and not at idle, it most likely is still air in the system.
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)
Old 12-05-2011, 10:15 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

If NTB02-047c does not cure the no heat issue, its possible the heater core is clog. Instead of replacing try back flush the heater core. If you can't do it, have an independent repair shop do it. Hope this helps.

Tags
2004, altima, circ, heat, nissan, problems