Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
02 Altima Idle Problem Forums > > 02 Altima Idle Problem 02 Altima Idle Problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 01-27-2008, 06:06 AM
msneeneedshelp

Unhappy 02 Altima Idle Problem

i need some help with this.. my nissan wouldn't start the other morning so i assumed it was the battery. replaced it and still wouldn't start. towed to the local mechanic to find out whats the problem. they did diagnotics. they said that i had a high build up of carbon so they performed a fuel system cleaning. they also changed to spark plugs because? not sure on that one. well after they did that the car idles up and down in park and neutral. i was told that the car need to reset itself. oh yeah they also tired to install some thing-a-bob to take care of the idling situation but it didn't work. i need help before i take it to nissan.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:39 AM
2015 Rogue

The idle air volume needs to be relearned.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 PM
bt2580

mpe235 is correct, the idle air volume needs to be reset. The good news is that it is easy to do. I run a fuel system treatment about every 10k, and have had to do this many times. Find yourself a watch with a second hand to make things easier.

-Drive car for 15-20 minutes to get the engine and transmission up to operating temps.
-Park car and turn off key.
-Let sit for at least 15 seconds.
-Turn key to 'On' position, not running.
-Wait 3 seconds.
-Fully depress and release gas pedal 5 times in 5 seconds.
-Wait 7 seconds.
-Fully depress gas pedal to floor and hold down.
-Watch 'Service Engine Soon' (SES) light, it will start to blink after about 7-10 seconds
-Wait until 'SES' light remains on (app. 15-20 seconds after starting to blink)
-Release gas pedal within 3 seconds of 'SES' light staying on.
-Start car, and idle should come down to normal.

It may take you a few attempts to get this right, but don't get discouraged. If the SES light continues blinking and never goes to fully on, drive the car awhile longer and try again.

Good Luck,

B
Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 PM
johnnyv5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt2580 View Post
mpe235 is correct, the idle air volume needs to be reset. The good news is that it is easy to do. I run a fuel system treatment about every 10k, and have had to do this many times. Find yourself a watch with a second hand to make things easier.

-Drive car for 15-20 minutes to get the engine and transmission up to operating temps.
-Park car and turn off key.
-Let sit for at least 15 seconds.
-Turn key to 'On' position, not running.
-Wait 3 seconds.
-Fully depress and release gas pedal 5 times in 5 seconds.
-Wait 7 seconds.
-Fully depress gas pedal to floor and hold down.
-Watch 'Service Engine Soon' (SES) light, it will start to blink after about 7-10 seconds
-Wait until 'SES' light remains on (app. 15-20 seconds after starting to blink)
-Release gas pedal within 3 seconds of 'SES' light staying on.
-Start car, and idle should come down to normal.

It may take you a few attempts to get this right, but don't get discouraged. If the SES light continues blinking and never goes to fully on, drive the car awhile longer and try again.

Good Luck,

B
Will this work for a 98 altima? After cleaning throttle body and iacv rpms jump up and dowmnin park and engine idles high in drive even after warm up.

Jv
Old 10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
triumphtr6quebec

Hi,
I'm new here and have the same up and down idle problem with my 2002 Altima 2.5 S, manual transmission. I did clean the TB with some carb cleaner.......The SES light is on and after looking other threads about the idle air reset, I've tried many times, maybe 10 times, without being able to make the SES light flash. Used a timer, all.....no result.

Any other instructions because it's a manual transmission? Any idea? I will be at my garage guy tomorrow, not a dealer, to check the codes and do some reset....I just don't want to get ripped........
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

In the Menu Tab, click on DIY, then click on your vehicle type, then click on Engine Control. There you will find the......

1. Accelerator Pedal Position Learning...
2. Throttle Closed Position Learning.....
3. Idle Air Volume Learning procedures. Be sure to perform all three. Accurate count is key. Get a clock with seconds hand.

The procedures are the same whether A/T or M//T. I did it more than once but less than 5 times. Be patient. Have fun.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:15 AM
triumphtr6quebec

I've done all that but no result. I have unplugged my battery for the night to clear the ECU....Will try again.
I will have a code # this pm and report back.
Thanks.
Robert
Old 10-06-2011, 07:06 AM
triumphtr6quebec

Medical emergency so all is going to be Friday. Will report back.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:29 PM
triumphtr6quebec

Plug back my battery, done the first two tricks with the engine cold and attempt sevral times the idle relearn, no success making the SES blinking.

Will wait for code tomorrow as I'm going the my mechanic at 10:00

Might be something else.....Grrrrr!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
triumphtr6quebec

Okay,

Up date.....Was at my mechanic's and after looking around, plug the Snap-On scanner and boy........9 codes in there......

He looked for a vacuum leak all around intake, hoses, etc, spraying cleaner everywhere without success and after more than an hour, tried to do the relearn idle. Could not get the SES light to flash for at least 4-5 times.

He unplugged the TB and RPM went down steady at 1200, plug it back.......stopped the engine and the relearn worked.....TA DA !! RPM back to normal at 600-700 but my wallet is lighter of 150$, 40$ for the scan and 1,5 hours.........

I'm frustrated I could not get that _ _ _ _ SES light to blink, I was so close.

Thank you guys for the help.

Robert
Old 10-07-2011, 12:04 PM
johnnyv5

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphtr6quebec View Post
Okay,

Up date.....Was at my mechanic's and after looking around, plug the Snap-On scanner and boy........9 codes in there......

He looked for a vacuum leak all around intake, hoses, etc, spraying cleaner everywhere without success and after more than an hour, tried to do the relearn idle. Could not get the SES light to flash for at least 4-5 times.

He unplugged the TB and RPM went down steady at 1200, plug it back.......stopped the engine and the relearn worked.....TA DA !! RPM back to normal at 600-700 but my wallet is lighter of 150$, 40$ for the scan and 1,5 hours.........

I'm frustrated I could not get that _ _ _ _ SES light to blink, I was so close.

Thank you guys for the help.

Robert
if u don't mind me asking what is the TB that he unplugged?

jv
Old 10-07-2011, 01:00 PM
triumphtr6quebec

TB = Throttle Body....

I have no idea if it had anything to do with the result or only luck......

Tags
altima, idle, problem