Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Can't find the Crankshaft Position Sensor? Forums > > Can't find the Crankshaft Position Sensor? Can't find the Crankshaft Position Sensor?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 10-25-2009, 06:40 PM
2003 Altima
2005 Xterra

Default I found the Crank Position Sensor for 2003 Altima 2.5

heres my post:

Nissanhelp.com - digitaldxing's Album: 2003 Nissan Altima Crankshaft Position Sensor - Picture
Old 01-10-2010, 08:29 PM
mosherd

I just broke the head off of the bolt that holds the sensor on the engine block. Life sucks right now.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:47 PM
frodin1

I would like to know why someone would say you have to purchase this only from Nissan? It appears to me that in the last 15 minutes of searching half the people say the new one is plastic and the other half say it's metal? It would make sense to me that the new one be plastic, because the recall is all about this sensor overheating. It only makes sense that NEW plastic one would be less likely to over heat! So, why not just go to Autozone and save yourself $25-$30? I don't think I'd buy a part from someone that screwed it up in the first place? Get a different brand all together.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:21 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodin1 View Post
I would like to know why someone would say you have to purchase this only from Nissan? It appears to me that in the last 15 minutes of searching half the people say the new one is plastic and the other half say it's metal? It would make sense to me that the new one be plastic, because the recall is all about this sensor overheating. It only makes sense that NEW plastic one would be less likely to over heat! So, why not just go to Autozone and save yourself $25-$30? I don't think I'd buy a part from someone that screwed it up in the first place? Get a different brand all together.
The sensors that the aftermarket suppliers are selling are not a different brand. They are the defective sensors that Nissan is no longer selling. The supplier had to get rid of them some how because nissan wasn't buying them so they sold them to the aftermarket. The biggest problem with the old style sensor is that oil leaks through the the sensor and short circuits the wiring. If you use one of those sensors it is just a matter of time until it fails too.The Nissan sensor is only $11.00 more than the aftermarket.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:56 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Part #B3731-6N26K has changed to B3731-6N27K.This is the most current part number.If your dealer cannot provide this part go to PinnacleNissan.com.and the have them in stock.

Last edited by tech22; 03-01-2010 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:53 AM
frodin1

Funny, the very next site I went to about this said the exact opposite. It's full of people saying that the paid $300 to have nissan fix this issue and they continue to have the same problem. granted it may take a couple years for it to show up. This seems to be the only site that says this? I haven't found anyone saying they continue to have the issue with aftermarket parts? At least not yet. Who makes these sensors? I can bet that there;s peobably only a couple manufacturers out there, and I'm willing to bet all these issues have been addressed.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Funny, the very next site I went to about this said the exact opposite. It's full of people saying that the paid $300 to have nissan fix this issue and they continue to have the same problem. granted it may take a couple years for it to show up. This seems to be the only site that says this? I haven't found anyone saying they continue to have the issue with aftermarket parts? At least not yet. Who makes these sensors? I can bet that there;s peobably only a couple manufacturers out there, and I'm willing to bet all these issues have been addressed.
Do whatever you want. It's your car. But I would suggest if you are getting the old style aftermarket sensor, get 2. Keep the extra one and the tools to change it in your car so you don't have to pay a tow bill.

You could call autozone and ask them to pull one to see if it is metal or plastic. I have been told that they may have some of the new style sensors.

Last edited by mpe235; 03-01-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:34 PM
frodin1

Which one do you think is the new one? The metal or the plastic?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:35 PM
frodin1

I should mention the Oreilys" checkers, kragen whatever. Napa and a few others actually mention the issue, so what makes you think they didn't correct the issue right off the bat.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:37 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
I should mention the Oreilys" checkers, kragen whatever. Napa and a few others actually mention the issue, so what makes you think they didn't correct the issue right off the bat.
Because I have seen the sensors they sell and they are the old style. The problem with the sensor is the design. That is why nissan changed it. If they are using the old design the sensors are junk. I have replaced hundreds of them and almost all of them are full of oil in the electrical connection. The new sensor is covered with a metal sleeve. There is no way for the oil to get through.
If they have the new style sensor then they are ok to use. If they don't, I wouldn't put it in my car.
Nissan tells you that the problem is the sensor overheating but they don't tell you that it causes the epoxy to crack and allow oil to pass through. They also don't tell you that after you have the recall for the ecm reprogram done that is supposed to make the car less sensitive to the overheating sensor actually makes it worse. I have seen several cars that didn't shows any signs of a problem with the sensor but a day or two after having it done they come back with crank sensor codes. In my opinion the recall should also include replacing the sensor with the updated design.
I have not had a single car come in with a problem after the new sensor was installed. We replace the old style almost every day. It is VERY common.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:54 PM
frodin1

I just got one from Autozone, Yea it's metal and there's a note in the package about the new design. $28 out the door, and 10 minutes of my time.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:46 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
I just got one from Autozone, Yea it's metal and there's a note in the package about the new design. $28 out the door, and 10 minutes of my time.
It's good to see that they are finally selling the correct parts. $28.00 is a good price.
Be sure to clean out the connector when you replace it. If it has any oil in it, it can affect the reading.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:45 PM
2005 Altima

I just changed the crankshaft position sensor on my sister's 2005 Altima 2.5S after getting 2 codes P0335 and P0725. She bought the crankshaft position sensor from Auto Zone which was the new design and now the car is very hard to start. It takes 3 to 4 tries and after resetting the SES light it came back on and I am only getting the P0335 code now. I am not sure if it is a bad sensor or what so I will probably go get a crankshaft position sensor from the dealer in the morning and put it in and see if that works. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:27 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcombel1 View Post
I just changed the crankshaft position sensor on my sister's 2005 Altima 2.5S after getting 2 codes P0335 and P0725. She bought the crankshaft position sensor from Auto Zone which was the new design and now the car is very hard to start. It takes 3 to 4 tries and after resetting the SES light it came back on and I am only getting the P0335 code now. I am not sure if it is a bad sensor or what so I will probably go get a crankshaft position sensor from the dealer in the morning and put it in and see if that works. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
Are you sure you changed the the correct sensor?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:54 AM
beccamc

I have had the same problem. I got the same codes and we just replaced the crank shaft sensor and it is still hard to crank. I am sure we replaced the right one. Any suggestions?

Tags
crankshaft, find, position, sensor