Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Altima Blower Motor issue Forums > > 2005 Altima Blower Motor issue 2005 Altima Blower Motor issue
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 12-20-2011, 05:55 PM
2005 Altima

Default 2005 Altima Blower Motor issue

I spent much of the day trying to figure out what happened to my blower for the heater/air conditioning unit in my 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE with the automatic temperature control. The motor does not turn but everything else seems to work as it is supposed to. I found that if I am driving and air is set to come from the outside, I get a very scant amount of air coming through... enough that I can tell if it is warm or cold. The A/C seems to work as well, as I had the windshield fogging up but when I turned it to defrost (with A/C active), I got some defrosting going on, but turning A/C off it fogs.

I acquired a service manual and attempted to go through the diagnosis process. I also looked up online for parts... I see a blower motor, blower motor resistor and control switch. I called around for parts and also called a local Nissan dealer. They only said they sold a blower motor module, not a "blower motor resistor" like the auto parts sorts call it. The dealer's price for the module was around $130, when other places quoted prices from $45-90 for the resistor. Are these the same thing just called something different? Where is this part located? It doesn't seem to discuss it at all in the service manual.

I took down the glove box assembly and identified what I believe the service manual reports as connectors M64 as well as connector M62 to the motor. I also took apart the control switch and found connector M49. I am getting confused in following the algorithmic listed in the service manual. Seeing a picture of a blower motor resistor from one online part store, it looked as if the resistor is what M64 plugs into... is this the case? If so, it looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to replace it. If it involves taking out the blower unit, I can't seem to figure out how to remove it. I've followed the instructions for removing the blower unit, but once all the screws are removed, I can't get it to drop or move anywhere. It makes no mention of how to remove it other than two bolts and one screw. I'm almost to the point of going to a dealer, but that would be admitting defeat and I don't want to have to do that.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

More than likely the problem is the "Fan Control Amplifier".

Quote:
Seeing a picture of a blower motor resistor from one online part store, it looked as if the resistor is what M64 plugs into... is this the case?
Yes, it is. You shouldn't need to remove the blower motor to replaced the amp.
Attached Thumbnails
2005 Altima Blower Motor issue-image03-gif  
Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 PM
2005 Altima

Unfortunately, the "blower motor resistor" or "Fan Control Amplifier" was not the problem. I still don't want to have to take it to a dealer, as I know I will be overcharged. They probably know more than I, but I can learn. I won't have time to work on this for several days.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:25 AM
2005 Altima

Default Apparently resolved

OK, this is weird... I had a second issue I didn't think had anything to do with the fan blower issue and by fixing it, my blower started working again. Don't know if it is coincidence or what. Last evening, I replaced the "Fan Control Amplifier" and tested the system and there was no change. My seemingly unrelated issue is that the airbag idiot light was flashing. I did a little research on the airbag light issue and saw instructions to turn ignition to "ON" position and wait for the airbag light to go from solid to blinking... then turn ignition off and wait 5 seconds, then repeat the process a couple times. After doing this, the airbag idiot light has stayed off, but better yet, the fan started working again. Weird. At least I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg at the dealer.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thanks for letting us know!!

Tags
2005, altima, blower, issue, motor