Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
02 altima clutch pedal stuck to floor Forums > > 02 altima clutch pedal stuck to floor 02 altima clutch pedal stuck to floor
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 09-03-2007, 10:24 AM
ghs3474

Default 02 altima clutch pedal stuck to floor

My 2002 Altima clutch pedal stuck to the floor. I can lift it up but when I depress it it sticks. It was working fine minutes before. The only way I could put the car in gear was to move the shift fork manually located on top of the transmission. I did find a vaccume hose of which one end was attached to the transimission and the other end was lying loose on the engine block. Does this hose actually connect to something or is it suppsed to be open at one end. I found a hose holder that I believe this hose is suppose to fasten to which will keep it off the block. I got in the car this morning and the clutch worked fine. Any Ideas on what may have caused this?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghs3474 View Post
My 2002 Altima clutch pedal stuck to the floor. I can lift it up but when I depress it it sticks. It was working fine minutes before. The only way I could put the car in gear was to move the shift fork manually located on top of the transmission. I did find a vaccume hose of which one end was attached to the transimission and the other end was lying loose on the engine block. Does this hose actually connect to something or is it suppsed to be open at one end. I found a hose holder that I believe this hose is suppose to fasten to which will keep it off the block. I got in the car this morning and the clutch worked fine. Any Ideas on what may have caused this?
Until someone responds - here is the diagram of the Clutch Pedal Components from your Service Manual SECTION CL - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE

Hope this helps...
Attached Thumbnails
02 altima clutch pedal stuck to floor-pages-cl-gif  

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 09-03-2007, 02:19 PM
ghs3474

Thanks for the picture. Is there another picture that will show the fork assembly (I believe) that sets on top of the Transmission. This may not be called the fork but when I move this mechanism, it moves the shifter inside the car. The hose I am talking about is located around that area.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:19 PM
2015 Rogue

The hose you are seeing is most likely the vent hose for the transmission. I have seen problems with a bunch of clutch master cylinders and clutch pedals on the altimas. Usually the ones with bad masters start working after sitting for a while but not always. If your car has higher mileage I would start by trying to bleed the clutch system to see if it will build pressure. If it does not that is a good indication that you have a problem with the hydraulic side of the system.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
I did find a vaccume hose of which one end was attached to the transimission and the other end was lying loose on the engine block.
That hose is a bleeder hose and it is suppose to be open on one side.

The first thing you need to inspect is the Hydraulic clutch fluid level at the reservoir. (See first figure posted by vpnavy for location). Air in the system can give you the same symptom your are experience. But air in the system it is not a common problem (unless the clutch master, hose or slave master is replaced or damaged). Most likely you have a mechanical problem with the clutch parts inside the transmission. Unfortunately the only way to find out is by removing the transmission and inspecting the condition of the clutch disc, pressure plate and trough out bearing.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:41 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
That hose is a bleeder hose and it is suppose to be open on one side.

The first thing you need to inspect is the Hydraulic clutch fluid level at the reservoir. (See first figure posted by vpnavy for location). Air in the system can give you the same symptom your are experience. But air in the system it is not a common problem (unless the clutch master, hose or slave master is replaced or damaged). Most likely you have a mechanical problem with the clutch parts inside the transmission. Unfortunately the only way to find out is by removing the transmission and inspecting the condition of the clutch disc, pressure plate and trough out bearing.
I agree to first check the fluid level in the resevoir. My recommendation for bleeding the system is not for air but just as a way to check for pressure build up in the system. What I have been seeing with the masters in these cars is the plunger inside is not reurning far enough to let the fluid back up to the resevoir. This causes the pedal to stay down. Usually after it sits it makes it's way back and the pedal starts working again. I would expect that if this was an internal clutch problem you would have had some prior warning, ( clutch slipping, noise etc.)
Old 09-04-2007, 04:16 AM
ghs3474

Default MPE

I believe what you are saying sounds realistic. I got in the car this morning and it worked fine. I will try to bleed it. Thanks everyone for your help. I will let you know what I find out.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:09 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
I believe what you are saying sounds realistic. I got in the car this morning and it worked fine. I will try to bleed it. Thanks everyone for your help. I will let you know what I find out.
Knowing that it started working after sitting I would replace the clutch master cylinder.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:18 PM
tworhythms

Quote:
Just curious if you managed to fix this? I have an '02 Altima with the same problem. I can go for months without it happening and then it will happen a couple of times in one week and then nothing again for months. <Stumped>:confused:
Old 03-25-2008, 06:18 PM
tworhythms

Unhappy

Can I join the club of the mysterious clutch problem? I have an '02 2.5s with the exact same problem!
Old 07-25-2008, 06:09 PM
elimelekwmerx

I have the same problem!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:30 PM
2002 Altima

YIKES I have the same problem with 66K, happens about once every 15 shifts, I also seem to have numerous generic problems I keep seeing like an engine misfire that is always there and is worse at times than others.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 AM
thebaker_7

Well i have an 06 SE-R with 32000 miles on it and it happened to me in walmart parking lot. I have the 84 month 7 year Security Plus Gold extended warrenty plan and I went to the dealership armed with pages of Nissan forum thread discussions about class action lawsuits against Nissan and thier faulty Master and slave clutch cylinders on 5 and 6 speed manuals. I didn't have to pull out those papers due to my expensive extended warrenty. But, when i walked into the service dept. I said I need my master and slave cylinder replaced. He said how do you know. I said my clutch pedal is on the floor, and I have 40 pages of customer complaints, with solutions from 2 nissan forums. I have also talked to Old school certified nissan mechanics, and they told me once your warrenty goes out, swap the 2 parts with aftermarket master and slave and put Dot 4 or 5 synthetic fluid in and you will never have the problem again. I tried to suggest this to nissan but he said they have to put the Nissan fluid in to keep the warrenty valid. So I waited for my Enterprise Altima rentacar, free of charge. While i was waiting i told him that i would be bringing the car back in a few years to get this done again, and he said. And i quote "You just bring it in and we will fix it again free of charge with the warrenty you have." He also said that it was a frequent problem, under his breath. Sooo if you don't have warrenty, then just get a good mechanic to swap aftermarket parts, and put the synthetic fluid in there. The nissan master and slaves are faulty by nature, no matter hot day cold day hard driving grandma driving, doesnt matter. Check other nissan forums for the exact part manufacturer and part nos. Just look for clutch problem threads there are a few of them.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:02 AM
thebaker_7

better do it sooner than later cause what if you are on a 4 lane and you get stuck out of gear. think about it.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:31 AM
kfahland

My 02 3.5 is being towed today - clutch got so bad it won't engage enough to start the vehicle. I have been living with this problem for 2 plus years so I guess my time was just up! I am at 106,000 miles so I guess it lasted longer that some!

Tags
altima, clutch, floor, pedal, stuck