Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
'05 Altima - Gas smell coming from air conditioner vents Forums > > '05 Altima - Gas smell coming from air conditioner vents '05 Altima - Gas smell coming from air conditioner vents
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 09-01-2007, 02:42 PM
NissanGirl

Default '05 Altima - Gas smell coming from air conditioner vents

Hoping someone here can help. My mom has a 2005 Altima. When she starts her car, you can instantly smell gas fumes from the air conditioner vents. She took her car back to the dealership on Thursday to be checked out. They told her that they couldn't find anything wrong, but replaced 3 filters hoping to solve the problem. (Also rotated her tires and changed her oil - all at a whopping $256 fee. I think they saw an old lady and wanted to rip her off, but that's a whole nother story.) Anyway.....I was in her car today, and the gas smell is still there. It goes away after a few minutes, but even so, something is not right with this car. I'm afraid that it could be something dangerous, and don't know what to do since the dealership could not find anything wrong. I checked the recall list, and did not find anything pertaining to this. Can someone here help me out with this? Thanks, so much!
Old 09-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Changing the filters is probably why your Mom was hit with such a high service charge.

You might want to pop the hood and have your Mom start the car - do YOU smell any fuel?

Assuming the dealer looked under the car, engine, etc. for a possible fuel leak - Let's check your A/C. Is your A/C set to "Air Recirculation" or are you bringing in air from outside the vehicle? Change it to "Air recirculation." This will prevent fumes from entering passenger compartment. See if their is a difference.

Hope this helps...

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store

Last edited by vpnavy; 09-02-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
You might want to pop the hood and have your Mom start the car - do YOU smell any fuel?
That's a good idea, just try to do it with the engine is cold. Usually gas leak happens with the engine is cold. With the warm engine the metals expand and seal the leaks. I have attached two figures of the fuel hoses in the engine compartment. The first one if is for Altimas with a 4 cylinder engine and the second one is for 6 cylinder engine, I'm not sure what is the size of your engine.
Attached Thumbnails
'05 Altima - Gas smell coming from air conditioner vents-figure002-gif   '05 Altima - Gas smell coming from air conditioner vents-figure001-gif  
Old 09-06-2007, 04:52 AM
NissanGirl

Thanks for the help, guys. My Mom lives quite a bit of a distance from me, and I haven't had a chance to get back down her way. I was with her Saturday, and Yes, I smelled it myself. She says she doesn't smell it until she turns on the air conditioner - whether it's recirculating the air or not.

I think I'm just going to go get her car, and take it back to the dealership and deal with them myself. I think since they didn't solve the problem, they should at least check it again. They said they never smelled the gas, but I'm going to leave the car with them, so it will have time to cool off. There's got to be a definite fuel leak somewhere. And I love my Mom and don't want her having any danger with her car.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:15 PM
fordsrbetr

Default Gas Fumes Coming out of a/c vents at idle

I now have this same problem. Has anyone figured this one out? It only does it with the it on fresh air (not recirc)
Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM
fordsrbetr

I thought I would update this incase someone else is having the same problem. It turned out to be a loose #1 spark plug of all things. I changed the injector orings 2 times before I figured it out. I kept on smelling it right above the fuel rail which just so happens my face is right over the #1 plug when I was smelling around the fuel rail.... I was able to figure this out with a VOC (volital organic compound) meter that i have access to at work that would go of the charts when i heald it over the #1 coil. If I didn't have this meter I'm sure I would of gave up and had the dealer try and find it. Who knows how much that would of costed by the time they figured it out....
Old 07-11-2012, 03:08 PM
2005 Altima

Default Gas Smell in 2006 Nissan Altima

My wife also had a gas smell in her 2006 Nissan Altima with 95,000 miles. After 2 trips to a local shop, they were still unable to determine the cause. We went to another shop, & he was able to detect that the problem was coming from a loose spark plug. This was allowing both a raw gas smell,or a partial exhaust smell to come into the car when the fresh air option was used with the A/C on. If it was in Recirculate, you couldn't smell it. Funny thing is that the car idled/ ran smoothly, with no hesitation, or missing on acceleration. A very simple fix. Hope that this helps.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 PM
2005 Altima
1986 Truck

i checked my spark plugs and replaced them and i still smell the gas at start up and then later it got worse. its amazing that nobody responded with another fix on this problem for so long. my friend looked and heard my engine and solved it immediately by moving the cold air intake that control the flow of fresh air into the engine. shook the wires on it and it fluxuated up and and down and when it started running smoothly left it there. also tighten the clamp that held it together didnt hurt it any. no more smell so far

Tags
air, altima, coming, conditioner, gas, smell, vents