Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Code questions Forums > > Code questions Code questions
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 11-17-2017, 01:31 PM
2003 Altima Sedan

Default Code questions

I got called out to see if the 05 Altima had power to the fuel pump and when I got there the pump was sitting on the floorboard. I tested it and it had power so I put the new pump in and cranked it over.
It never fired once so I asked how he tested the fuel pressure and he pointed out the green capped vac test port. He was right there wasn't any fuel coming out there.
I popped the pump line loose from the pump and I had plenty of fuel so I tested for spark. None nada nil. Today I pulled the codes and got p0183 p0463 and p1760.
Monday I'll tow it in and ground out the positive cable out to the negative to clear the computer and see if I get spark afterward.
I also considered if maybe the security had it shut down. I'll let you all know what I find Monday night. Thanks in advance for any ideas on my problem child.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:28 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The green-capped vacuum test port in the engine compartment is for checking the evaporative emissions system and has nothing to do with the fuel delivery system (i.e. the fuel pump).
P0463 is for the fuel level sensor. P0180 is for the fuel temp sensor. P1760 is a code for the overrun clutch solenoid valve in the transmission. If the fuel sender was unplugged and the key turned "on," it could have set the P0463 and P0180 trouble codes.
A typical cause of no spark in these vehicles is either the crank position sensor or camshaft position sensor; there was a recall for this problem, so it wouldn't hurt to check with Nissan and see if there are any open recalls or campaigns for your vehicle. When replacing these sensors...if it is the problem...best thing to do is get a "sensor kit" from Nissan. It's the same kit they used in the recalls and has both cam and crank sensors (the crank sensor is the one with the white paint mark on it and the kit is cheaper than buying the sensors separately).
It probably would be beneficial to download a factory service manual to help you diagnose your problem. They should have the Engine Control chapter available in the "knowledge base" section at this site. Nico Club's site has full manuals for download.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:39 PM
2003 Altima Sedan

I knew what the green cap was for I was being sarcastic. I've been doing this a long time and its a new kind of stupid everyday it seems.
I did a forum search before I started this topic and read where clearing the computer made one guys car run making me wonder if there is a computer lockout that shuts the ignition off with fuel codes or that could of been a line of internet BS.
I already considered the crank sensor but didn't know of a recall or that the sensors came as a kit from Nissan.
I get TSB's and wiring diagrams from bbbind.com usually but they don't tell of recalls. Anyway thanks for the info smj999smj.
I'll be calling Nissan Tuesday it just sucks their 50 miles away.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:33 PM
2003 Altima Sedan

Went and picked up the Altima this afternoon and taking it off the trailer Jerry hit the key and it fired up. Is it normal for them to not have fire and then have it if I have a bad crank sensor? Its considerable colder today than it was when I checked for spark the other day and I've been through over heated crank sensors before so....
Old 11-21-2017, 09:22 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It's possible as their performance can be affected by temperature when they start to fail, but impossible to say if this is your particular issue.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:22 AM
2003 Altima Sedan

The cars owner says he has a new crank sensor somewhere but not sure where so when he finds it I'll swap it out and see how it starts up after being in a warm shop over night.
Typical vehicle owner either already has the part or wants to get them. Makes me wonder if they take the steak and potato to the restaurant too.
The car can sit there till he finds it now cause I'm not buying him one.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:17 AM
2003 Altima Sedan

I fired it up last night to drive it in the shop. It started like I had to wind it up before it would take hold and run cranking for a couple minutes all along trying to start.
After it finally took hold and started running it blew a WOW big cloud of white smoke kinda like an antifreeze smoke but smelled different than green antifreeze steam.
Anybody ever smelled the orange antifreeze burn? Nothing like the odd sweet smell more like a old bad gas and burning rag smell??????
Old 11-23-2017, 10:47 AM
2003 Altima Sedan

Well I now know what the orange antifreeze smells like. I fired it up in the shop this afternoon and it wasn't hitting on all 4 and the steam was still coming from the exhaust. It was when I took the radiator cap loose and it blew off like it was over heating that I figured it was a blown head gasket or cracked head.
I have no idea how hot it got and how much damage there actually has so I'll be looking for a different engine.
Thanks for any and all thoughts n help. Joaa

Tags
code, questions