Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 3.5 tranny slip Forums > > 2002 3.5 tranny slip 2002 3.5 tranny slip
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 06-06-2007, 08:48 AM
tazcc11

Default 2002 3.5 tranny slip

transmission just started to slip slightly at about 25 mph then will catch and everything is good, has anyone had this problem? and what was cure. dealership told me about changing valve body, 1,200 dollars and that might not do it. Car has 140,000 miles on it. have not had 1 problem.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:21 AM
pcsgrp35se

I guess the big question is have you been changing the fluid? If not, I suggest you change it and see what occurs. Also, with the number of miles you have, I would stay away from using synthetic atf. I changed mine at around 85k miles and ran into all sorts of shifting problems. they went away after putting back regular atf although it took about 1k miles for the transmission to return to normal.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:07 PM
tazcc11

I will have to try that. THanks sure cant do any more harm!
Old 06-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I agree with pcsgrp35se, you should definitely start with a fluid change.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 AM
pcsgrp35se

With all those miles, was the atf ever changed? In any event, don't use the power flush, just pick up about 15 qts of mercon III/IV, warm up the care and drain out the pan. Replace the amount you took out and drive around for about 5 minutes and do the same thing two more times.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 AM
tazcc11

Not sure it has even been changed! has not since i have owned it! I will take this advice and let you know how it comes out! today took it out and when slowly getting up to speed, it slips just a bit! so will head to auto parts store and get the mercon III/IV and try it!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 AM
tazcc11

recommend a certain kind of transmission fluid?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:22 AM
pcsgrp35se

I used castrol because they had enough of it. I would think any name brand would work. I think one of them has a few more additives if you have a lot of miles on the car. One think your going to notice, you may not notice anything right away but it may take a 1000 or more miles for the new fluid to start working.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:35 AM
tazcc11

well tranny seems to have fixed itself! before I did the transmission fluid change. daughter was driving car with me in back and I noticed it did not slip, she said had not slipped all day! well I did the fluid change and have not had problem! thanks for all the help. Great site for troubleshooting problems and getting help

Tags
2002, slip, tranny