Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
altima 2003 3.5 catalytic not complete. Forums > > altima 2003 3.5 catalytic not complete. altima 2003 3.5 catalytic not complete.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 07-31-2017, 05:46 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

Ok what state do you live in?
Certain states allow 1 or 2 monitors to be not ready.
I do not recommend doing the drive cycle with scantool hooked up because sometimes it can interfere with the pcm.
A drive cycle must be done from a cold start. ie open loop and driven into closed loop.
cycling on the read defroster and ac can help to complete the cycle also.
I have had my share of touchy monitors, it sucks I know.
You are sure there are no pending codes?
Old 07-31-2017, 06:58 PM
2003 Altima Sedan

HEY Soapmyster , thanks to reply, well Am living in Chicago and was thinking that here we are allow to have a least one monitor not set, but my first rejected smog test was rejected due a code p0456 small leak detected, so I took it the certified emission place and the tech told me that it was a leak in the charcoal canister valve after the inspected with the smoke machine and they still me $400.00 dls and they said that cars need to be running almost one week because they clear the codes to set all monitors, after a week went back the hook up the scanner and was only one monitor was not set the catalyst so until now it's been my biggest nightmare and headache, am been looking for the correct drive pattern and almost 800 miles am not able to set the stupid monitor, so benny the other good guy was helping me with my issues and recommend to buy a obd2 scanner just to make sure the cars has not more codes or pending codes which until now has no codes, so my altima has 174k so I decide to replace the downstream O2 sensors and when was running another trip the p0420 and p0430 pending codes, so the codes was cleared again and after 400 more miles nothing still not been set and no more codes pending.
I take my second chance to see if can pass the verification with one not set monitor and was rejected again due the catalytic monitor and right there they told me that my car has to have the all monitors set.
Well I called the mechanics to ask why the catalytic monitor can not been set and they told me That maybe I need a new cat convertor. So I was thinking to install the O2 non fouler to see if the cat monitor can been set or maybe to buy the new exhaust system on ebay. for now I only be able to drive the car at night time on the freeway due the expired sticker, please help me.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

hmm.
If the cat was bad it should have at least a pending P0420.
Review this and tell me how closely you have followed it
To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:22 PM
2003 Altima Sedan

Hello Soapmyster, well thanks so much to reply back to my and explain by step by step the driving cycle procedures to set the monitor back, I was follow the instructions with no results, I repeat the process for a least tree consecutive days with no luck, so this weekend I decide to replace the upstream O2 sensors back and front and at the same time was loosing the pre-cats bolts to see if any way the pre-cats was clogged, just in case I order a new exhaust catalyst system last Friday (include the pre-cats, y pipe and catalyst converter), so once pre-cats was removed from the exhaust manifold I notice they was in a decent condition so I cleaned really good with mineral spirits and let they soak over night.
Next day I put them back and was my last hope until the new system coming from Canada within two weeks.
I decide to drive another cycle following your steps with no hook up the OBD2 to the car and not cruise control. I was driving the car at nite time for a least 1 hour and 280 miles once the drive cycle was completed 3 times when back home, let the car sit overnight, this time I did not care to check the OBD2 was so tired and hopeless.
Next day I decide to check the monitor with the OBD2 and was So happy to see that finally the OBD2 shows all monitors are been set.
so I didn't move the car for no reasons until today Monday to the emission facility and was praying to pass the smog test, well was long long trip to the end and finally I got my plate sticker. thanks again for all your support.
Attached Thumbnails
altima 2003 3.5 catalytic not complete.-img_0508-jpg   altima 2003 3.5 catalytic not complete.-img_0509-jpg  
Old 08-07-2017, 08:24 PM
2003 Altima Sedan

And Now I really don't know what to do with the new cats and y pipe that order, maybe I will contact the seller and cancel the order. Or what is your suggestions.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

That is wonderful news.
I feel your pain. Trust me when I tell you I deal with it all the time.
I have been minutes away from the inspection station. It crushes hopes.
No cruise control at all during a drive cycle.
And I preach on not driving it with the scantool hooked up. Been there before also.
It completely varies by vehicle

Tags
2003, altima, catalytic, complete