Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2008 Altima Not Starting and maybe Intelligent Key issues Forums > > 2008 Altima Not Starting and maybe Intelligent Key issues 2008 Altima Not Starting and maybe Intelligent Key issues
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 12-16-2015, 07:41 PM
2008 Altima Sedan

Default 2008 Altima Not Starting and maybe Intelligent Key issues

So today while driving the serpentine belt in my 2008 Nissan Altima came off. I belive due to not having the passenger splash guard on aging the belt faster than normal, etc. (I have the belt, it tore in the middle) I replaced the belt on the side of the road (VERY easy w/ 14mm wrench and the tires turn far to the right and another person helping guide the belt). Car started up and I continued on my merry way. Came home, went grocery shopping, came home, went go back out and the car wouldn’t start.

Here’s a video of EXACTLY what’s happening:
https://youtu.be/VR-zRp_wCpw

Here's under the hood while pressing start:
https://youtu.be/rSAQtQ5eLn4

I hear what sound like it maaaaaaaay be the starter clicking, before it wouldn’t even make a ticking noise. You can hear in the video one time it makes a whoosh sound that almost sounded like the fuel pump.
What do you guys think is wrong with this?

Last edited by udfxrookie; 12-16-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:12 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

your battery is dead.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:52 AM
2008 Altima Sedan

But with the battery testing constant 12.5v.... how is it dead.
Just trying to completely rule out everything before spending $120-$200 on a battery when this one was installed 5/2014
Old 12-17-2015, 02:07 PM
2008 Altima Sedan

Battery not dead... Here's the new clip with a brand new battery:
https://youtu.be/LN-BnBAl_y0

Last edited by udfxrookie; 12-17-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:38 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

I thought I heard rapid click in the previous video. Also your charger showed a static battery voltage reading of 13.2v which is in error. A battery cannot go more than 12.6v or it is overcharged which can cause problem. Does your key FOB uses battery. Check fuses like ignition, ECM, and relays too.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:38 AM
2008 Altima Sedan

You're right, you did hear a rapid clicking for a moment...
I hear it every now and again while attempting to start which lead me to the starter (correct in thinking?)

I will go through the relays and fuses but I can actually hear them working
when the cover is off and someone presses start... so really praying for the starter.

The part that has me the most boggled is that the key fob will NOT lock the doors or work the alarm whatsoever, which also has me thinking this is a key programming issue (or Intelligent Key issue).

With the battery being a potential threat and a new one going in... that should've allowed my alarm to at least work right?

I don't see a starter being the cause for my keys to not work... kinda hoping maybe if the car start the key fob will start working too, but then again I'm used to working on non push start button cars.

******UPDATE************
New starter in, now battery is really dead, read like 10.2v and gets up to correct voltage with
trickle charge but after one attempt to crank, its dead.

Just found

Which if you see the yellow circle is a blown 250A fuse... when I put a piece of wire in there everything pops back to life. Remote works, all interior lights on dash that I didn't notice normally light up, lite up. When I pressed that start button I still got nothing however.

Now I believe mostly because this battery IS dead now, but what would make THAT fuse pop (how do I even replace that one, its part of the battery terminal). I'm scared to try starting it with the new battery in there while jumping that fuse.... ideas?
Old 12-18-2015, 07:57 AM
2008 Altima Sedan

I'm starting to think this was MULTIPLE issues.

Now after reading a TON of forums I'm starting to think
1) I had a battery issue or possibly an alternator issue creating low voltage,
2) potential starter failure (worse case scenario I'm sitting on a new starter in my car, the other had the small terminal rip off so there is no swapping that back in)
3) Of course blown fuse
4) But now: Steering Lock issue. As to START with I saw the FOB light on and no other lights\
(as seen and described here: https://youtu.be/qIT_Yl6BFuA)

Treatment:
1) I plan to get the new battery today, and attempt to start (while fuse is being jumped until I can figure out how to replace it)
2) If that fails and I see the FOB I'll move towards fixing the steering lock (as my FOB light is on and the steering wheel will NOT lock in place)

Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2015, 11:49 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Battery may be all drained due to excessive cranking be sure batt. is fully charged. It's only approx. 1.5 y.o. so it should be good. Replace fuse and jump start.
The 250a fuse is replaceable. Be sure your key fob battery is also good. I doubt its Starter issue. If it is, when cranking you hear a high pitch sort of grinding sound and engine won't turn over.

I would go back to the last event when ddrive belt broke and you had to replace it. It seems to me car was fine up to that point. Inspect the drive belt again. May be it had slipped off somehow.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:03 PM
2008 Altima Sedan

Went to the auto store and the highest fuse they carry is a 175a fuse in a different style. I see no way to remove the old fuse, so jumping it, worse case will pop the remaining fuses in the positive terminal.

Any thoughts on the steering lock being faulty? I can spin the wheel both ways without it living while the car is off and saw the yellow/orange key as seen in first video...
Old 12-18-2015, 04:57 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by udfxrookie View Post

Any thoughts on the steering lock being faulty? I can spin the wheel both ways without it living while the car is off and saw the yellow/orange key as seen in first video...
It's possibe a steering lock issue. The other part you said spinning the wheel idk what you mean. Is car in neutral? Try get it out of park and to any gear,try different gear and back to park.

Try search on you tube on how to replace the fuse. If you have a code reader, scan ECM for possible fault code.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:08 PM
2008 Altima Sedan

I figured it out, it's the entire piece. You aren't able to replace just a single fuse, it's a fuse block connector... Still searching for a part number but will end up in the junk yard tomorrow most likely.

Belt is fine, nothing on that side looks bad... I think the fuse was the big culprit but I want to know why it popped. Hoping once I replace the fuse connector, with the new battery, new starter all will be well. I think it popping had to do with the belt coming off and the car hitting high temp before I shut it off.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:43 PM
2008 Altima Sedan

Update.
Battery replaced, fuse block replaced.
All lights lit like normal, but when I pressed the start button I get a turn of the engine and a blown 260A fuse on the fuse block.

What would cause the biggest fuse to blown when the engine cranks? The second it turned over it blew.

I attempted to unplug the alternator and disconnect the main wire. I then jumped the fuse and attempted to start the car, with no success.

I'm lost. Any ideas guys?
Old 12-19-2015, 02:54 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Obviously a large surge that is more than the fuse can handle. Focus on the source-battery and distribution-IPDM. Also check negative battery cable connection at chassis and engine. Look for expose wire touching a metal or another wire.

Next is Ignition switch (push button) = blown main fuse. Check for damage/loose body ground connection. To find where those located faster you will need the Power Supply and Ground Circuit manual. hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:16 AM
2008 Altima Sedan

Took alternator out, had it tested and its good.... today I will be searching for a burned wire, ground touching, as well as taking apart grounds and cleaning them.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:18 AM
2009 Altima Sedan

Starter circuit drawing excessive amps when solenoid energized

Since serpentine belt broke i would verify that engine isn't being mechanical loaded from a jammed up pulley/accessory.

Disconnect belt and try cranking engine.
If starter cranks then problem with pulley/accessory

If starter doesn't crank/draws excessive amp then must be starter issue or engine itself is bound up.

Tags
2008, altima, intelligent, issues, key, starting