Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 Nissan Altima Running Hot Forums > > 2001 Nissan Altima Running Hot 2001 Nissan Altima Running Hot
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 08-12-2015, 10:14 AM
2001 Altima Sedan
2001 Altima Sedan

Default 2001 Nissan Altima Running Hot

Please help. I have a 2001 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4l that keeps running hot. I have installed a new radiator, new water pump, new sending unit sensor and gauge sensor and a new radiator cap. I have flushed out the entire system including the heater core. I have installed a new thermostat and verified it worked by placing it in boiling water. There is not sign of coolant in the oil and not smoke coming out tailpipe. Engine runs fine. I checked the fans, fan fuses and relays and all appear in working order. I did a pressure test on coolant system and it had a small leak and appears it was one of the hoses which I then fixed. The car will not blow hot air when the heat is on. The last time I let the car run idle the fans came on and it did not run hot until I turned on the a/c. Thanks for any help! Also a quick question, what is the purpose of having 3 radiator fan relays?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:19 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

I think you may have air in the system.
I recommend getting a purging funnel and fill it half full.
Squeeze the hoses and watch for air escaping, also flow.
3 relays
1 for each fan, 1 for the a/c.
Not sure if your engine has 2 thermostats but may be worth looking into
Welcome to NissanHelp
Old 08-14-2015, 08:26 AM
2001 Altima Sedan
2001 Altima Sedan

Thank you so much for you input. My Altima has a bleeder valve and I purged the system of air when I put in the coolant. It still runs hot. It has only 1 thermostat and I have it out right now. I cranked the car up again yesterday and let it run with a pressure tester on it. I was looking for spikes in pressure. It slowly rose in pressure and I switch the car off when the pressure reached 13 psi and the temp gauge was getting too close to the overheat range. I also checked the pressure with the car off and put in 10 lbs and after about 15 minutes I had 8 lbs of pressure. I think it may have been leaking a little at the thermostat connecting since I had taken it out and not replaced the sealant on the connection. This is really got me stumped.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:41 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

I would be doing a exhaust gas by products test.
Basically tests for exhaust gases in the coolant.
That bleeder may not purge all of the air from the system.
With the purging funnel I never have to touch any bleeders.
I would recommend putting the thermostat back for proper testing and running operations
Old 08-15-2015, 08:03 PM
2001 Altima Sedan
2001 Altima Sedan

Well, you experienced mechanics are going to get a laugh at this but maybe this will help someone in the future. I did the block test for exhaust in the coolant system and it was negative for hydrocarbons. I called my brother in law who is more mechanically inclined than me and told him the good news. He then asked me had I checked and made sure I did not put the belt on wrong and did I have a diagram. I told him I was pretty sure I put it on right but I would check it. Sure enough, when I replaced the water pump I put the belt on the bottom of the pulley instead the top which spun the water pump backwards and therefore flow was little to nothing. That explains the heater not blowing hot air and the overheating. Thank God for using my brother in law to help point me in the right direction and save me from my ignorance. The car is working now. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

glad you got it fixed.
That is pretty rare but in some cases can occur.
Thank you for posting the resolution. It can sure help someone in the future

Tags
2001, altima, hot, nissan, running