Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Altima stalling Forums > > 2005 Altima stalling 2005 Altima stalling
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 07-21-2006, 09:17 PM
leebell68

Angry 2005 Altima stalling

We purchased a certified preowned 2005 Altima 4/2005. We had no problem with the car until we took our first trip on the interstae 3 months later in July, as well as 4 other attempted trips we have taken. The car has no issues until you are ready to decrease your interstate speed after several hours of driving, then the car will stall. It has both started right back and needed to sit 10-20 minutes before it will start. There are no indicator lights, just complete loss of power, so they are not able to find a code. All 4 Nissan dealerships have not been able to duplicate the problem since they are not willing to drive the several hours at interstate speed. We had a Nissan Tech involved while the car was at a dealership for 9 days with the same response, no duplication,come get your vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated since this has potiental to cause greayt bodily harm or death.

Thank, you
Tracey
Old 07-22-2006, 04:38 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab
2012 GTR
2004 s/c 4x4 frontier

there have been issues with crank sensors. also there is a problem with some engines using too much oil. the crank and cam sensors should set a code. there is a bulletin out about oil consumption but i can't seem to find it on here sorry. maybe one of the others on here has it. i did find a bulletin about a transmission solenoid causing some altimas to cut of when coming to a stop. here it is:http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB06-005.htm
there can be a code stored in the tcm but not in the ecm. they may need to check the tcm for codes.

Last edited by dre351; 07-22-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:06 AM
2015 Rogue

:eek: I have also seen bad throttle bodies cause stalling. We have replaced several on the 2005 altimas.Also make sure your car does not have a recall on the power valve screws http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB05-058.htm If they fall out they can cause loss of power and engine damage.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:36 AM
leebell68

Smile Thank you!

We have received ZERO help elswhere, thanks SO much for your time and concern! I will post the results soon.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:32 AM
2015 Rogue

Good luck. Hopefully we can help get your problems resolved.There is also another unrelated recall on the rear subframe. If you have not had it done yet it might be a good idea to try to schedule it with the rest of the work. it usually takes a few hours to complete. It might save you from having to make an additional trip to the service department. http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB05-114.htm Please click on this link to rate your dealer http://x.nissanhelp.com/Reviews/

Last edited by mpe235; 07-22-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

stalling most of the time seems to be related to the two sensors mentioned above.. by any chance, does the car overheat? how are the plugs?
negative on the battery looking ok? tight on the post?

Last edited by momud; 07-22-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:54 PM
leebell68

Default Thanks again!

I will follow up on the recall for the rear frame. It has never over heated and I have never been told about the post, battery or spark plugs. I assumed that would have been one of the first and easiest things to look check. And we know what people say about assuming LOL. I will have my father check that first thing in the morning. I will continue to keep you updated. Thanks for all of your time and concern.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:15 PM
leebell68

Default 2005 Altima follow up

When Autoway Nissan of Bradnon stated they couldn't duplicate the problem, I was not shocked. At this point I will continue to monitor the website for any updates. Thanks so much for your time.

Tracey
Old 03-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Zirbmonkey

My 2005 Altima just had this problem last night. I tried to drive off for errands after coming home from work, and the car lurched as I went around a corner at about 10 mph. If I were driving a stick, it'd be like shifting from a high rpm and the clutch hitting the next gear hard. I came to a stop sign, and the engine reved sorta funny... not the normal static idle. The next stop sign stalled the engine.

I restarted the car, no problems. All the dash lights were normal. As soon as I put it into Drive, the engine stalled. Oil light came on, check engine light came on. I restarted a few more times, let it sit in park, engine sounded fine. Reverse was no problem, Drive = stall. Revs just drop out and the engine quits.

Next I started the car, and revved the engine as I put it into drive. This kept it from stalling, I pulled out just fine, and I made it back to my house without a problem. I took a few laps around the block, and managed to stall it at another stop sign. Same as before, the RPMs just dropped out and the engine stopped.

Next up I started the car, and skipped drive down to 3rd gear. No problem. The engine reved normal when slowing down, speeding up, or sitting idle. I drove around in 2nd and 1st as well, still no issues. But once I put it into drive, the transmission acted very strange when slowing down and then immediately speeding up again. It would feel like it missed the right spot to shift, and for a moment there was no acceleration being applied when my foot was on the accelerator. As though a clutch decided to go off and stop transferring power from the engine to the wheels (again, if it were a manual).

I just had all the fluids changed and checked last week, and when I checked them last night they all looked normal. No high temperatures, no leaks under the car.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:08 AM

2000 Maxima

Zirbmonkey- did you fix your car yet? What was the problem?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:19 PM
2005 Altima Sedan
1986 Truck

I have a 05 Altima 2.5s mine started fluctuating at idle 600 to 300 running rough and then stall i took off tube between throttle body and air flow sensor and there was oil in the tube and throttle body so i turned on the ignition and put it in drive and had someone hold the gas to the floor this opened the valve in the throttle body i then took a shop paper towel and just cleaned all the carbon/oil also wiped the valve no chemicals used reasembled everything and it solved the problem now in gear idle dosen't lower beyong 900 to 700 so before i replace the tps unit i would check inside tps unit maybe this will help someone and save them cash the only thing i would like to know is where did the oil come from? could the pcv valve be failing causing this? any input would be appreasated

Tags
2005, altima, stalling