Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
07 Altima 3.5SE TPMS light blinks then solid Forums > > 07 Altima 3.5SE TPMS light blinks then solid 07 Altima 3.5SE TPMS light blinks then solid
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
datsunz

Default 07 Altima 3.5SE TPMS light blinks then solid

TPMS light flashed and stayed on. That happened only a few miles after driving off the dealer's lot. Thought it was merely a low tire issue but proven wrong. No time to bring back to dealer yet.

Teh twist before the sale was closed: One wheel was swapped from another new 3.5SE on the lot to resolve a scratched up wheel issue.

Anyway, checked cold pressure already. Dealer had 40 psi. Thought over-inflation may be a trigger and therefor lowered all 4 tires to 33 psi (spec) and measured w/ a quality pencil tire gauge. The light still behaves the same way.

Logically, I believe the computer on board has learnt the 4 RF tags/signals from the 4 'original' wheels and suddently, one is gone and is replaced with a RF it does not know.

What is the explanation of my failure mode?

To make the computer re-learn or reset, is there a sequence I can go through myself or I must go back to the dealer?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Unfortunately you have to go back to the dealer. There is a tool that is needed to reprogram the control unit to the new tire pressure sensor.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:10 AM

2007 Altima 3.5 SE

I got the same problem this week. Went to the dealer, they said the system was reprogrammed but, after only a couple of miles driving down the highway the light came on again. After about a 1hr. drive the light went out. I'm suspecting of a faulty tire pressure sensor on the wheel. Any ideas or reccomendation? Please let me know! Frustrated right now. Have the car for about 2 weeks now
Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Found references to three separate problems with the TPMS light coming on. They all followed this solution - no problems since.

TPMS light "on"
All tires at 32 psi
Started filling each tire to 40 psi
Left front to 40 psi-light still "on"
Left rear to 40 psi-light still "on"
Right front to 40 psi- LIGHT GOES OUT!
Dropped all 4 tires to 30 psi and light stays out.

I found a few other threads and indicating a lot of people are having problems with the TPMS. Fortunately, it is only a "techo feature" and isn't life threatening.

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store

Last edited by vpnavy; 07-12-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:52 PM
2015 Rogue

Unfortunately the government is mandating that all new cars come with tpms. I set all of our cars at least a couple psi more than what is recommended. That seems to keep the light off.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:03 PM
ch08532

Hi,

Installed my new winter tires myself 5 days ago and today the TPMS light come on. Got home, turned the car off then started it back up and the light flashes for 1 minute then stays on. I checked the TP on all four tires and noticed the front tires were down a bit (30, 31) so I pumped them up to 35 PSI, restarted the car, drove around the block (over 16 MPH) and still on.

Things to note: My winters are not 215/55/17 but 215/60/16. Basically, I went down to the S model wheel size for winters to save a few bucks. Also, it's a cold day today (first one since tires were installed) so tire pressure would drop due to the temp.

Maybe I need to inflate to 40 PSI on all four tires and drive around and wait to see if it turns off....max PSI is 44 on the winters.

another FYI, winter tires are Toyo Observe G-02.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by ch08532; 11-17-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:19 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch08532 View Post
Hi,

Installed my new winter tires myself 5 days ago and today the TPMS light come on. Got home, turned the car off then started it back up and the light flashes for 1 minute then stays on. I checked the TP on all four tires and noticed the front tires were down a bit (30, 31) so I pumped them up to 35 PSI, restarted the car, drove around the block (over 16 MPH) and still on.

Things to note: My winters are not 215/55/17 but 215/60/16. Basically, I went down to the S model wheel size for winters to save a few bucks. Also, it's a cold day today (first one since tires were installed) so tire pressure would drop due to the temp.

Maybe I need to inflate to 40 PSI on all four tires and drive around and wait to see if it turns off....max PSI is 44 on the winters.

another FYI, winter tires are Toyo Observe G-02.

I'll keep you posted.
Did you put the tire pressure monitors into the wheels that you put the snow tires on? If you didn't you will always have a light on. The sensors are in each wheel.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:48 PM
ch08532

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
Did you put the tire pressure monitors into the wheels that you put the snow tires on? If you didn't you will always have a light on. The sensors are in each wheel.
Nope, never did that because these are 4 new tires on steel black rims. The sensors are on the OEM tires stacked in my garage :) So, that explains why the light is on..LOL! Strange that it took a couple days for the computer to realize that the sensors were gone and the light to turn on. So I guess the sensor is IN the tire attached to the valve stem? Any easy way to transfer them to the winters? No biggie, I guess I can live with the bloody light for a few months.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:07 PM
FF_Freak

I had my 08 nissian for a moth, and I have this problem... All tires to spec, light just came on one day. I'll probably take to the dealership...

Also, from the factory I had a door that was "missing" it's sensor. The person who built the car stripped the bolt and that bolt which connected to ground was missing.. They had to re-tap and put in a larger bolt... NO errors on the car were displayed... I just noticed how the door did not turn on the lights or set off the alarm if opened... : (

2 problems in 1 month of buying, yea!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:16 PM
ricerocket00

Default Same problem

I purchased my car a week and a half ago and the TPMS light was on. The salesman said that it would go away but if not bring it back in and they'll reset it anbd check the tire pressure. Well i took my car in at 8 am, got a loaner and picked it up in the evening. I got a call saying that the tire pressure was low and that they took care of that. NOt even 5 miles later the light starts blinking and then remained steady.
Now I have to take it back in AGAIN.
Such an inconvenience.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:04 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

The tire that was swapped out was not registered so you will have to go back to the dealer.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:49 PM
FF_Freak

Cool

Well here is something to consider also....
I took mine to the dealership and they fixed it.

The thing is this... The TPMS sensor the technican said is set to 35 psi. The stock tires recommened is 35 PSI... with a max of 40 PSI.

The solution over inflate the tires between the recommened and max... 38,39,40... Dealership did 40 (I asked how they fixed it thats what they said). Everytime I get an oil change I get it set to 38. Haven't seen the light since.

They said they WILL NOT change the TPMS to do less then 35 PSI.

Oh well... thats what they told me.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:26 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_Freak View Post
Well here is something to consider also....
I took mine to the dealership and they fixed it.

The thing is this... The TPMS sensor the technican said is set to 35 psi. The stock tires recommened is 35 PSI... with a max of 40 PSI.

The solution over inflate the tires between the recommened and max... 38,39,40... Dealership did 40 (I asked how they fixed it thats what they said). Everytime I get an oil change I get it set to 38. Haven't seen the light since.

They said they WILL NOT change the TPMS to do less then 35 PSI.

Oh well... thats what they told me.
They can't change the tpms pressures.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Also remember that if you set the tire pressure at 35psi and it gets very cold that nite, the tire pressure will be much lower and that will set the lite. In the winter i run about 37-38 psi and then lower it in the summer.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:41 AM
ssjones

TPMS issues are popping up again over on the NissanEnthusiast.com Altima forum.(my 08 has an erratic light with no TP issues). I keep my stock 16" tires at 38 psi for a little better MPG.
Someone posted this link to the Nissan Bartec system:
Nissan TPMS - Nissan TPMS Tools & Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Their opening statement says:
Welcome to Nissan TPMS - Nissan TPMS Tool & Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

TPMS or Tire Pressure Monitoring System is fitted to Nissan cars to provide a warning of low pressure on any one of four or five tires on the vehicle (five if TPMS fitted in spare).

This would indicate that over-inflation is not monitored, only low pressures.

Tags
35se, altima, blinks, light, solid, tpms