Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
car wont start- steering wheel not locked Forums > > car wont start- steering wheel not locked car wont start- steering wheel not locked
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 09-14-2015, 04:44 AM
2009 Altima Sedan

nissian will now cover this under a recall
Old 09-27-2016, 07:26 AM
2005 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by substandardsoldier View Post
So today my wife informed me that we have this issue on our car. After researching this part is not needed, I found a temporary, (or permanent if you dont care) fix for the problem. You can take the part off by removing the two screws on the right side with a pair of needle nosed plyers. Then take a screwdriver and push in on the lever from the top, then wedge it in place. Close then open the door, and that will reset the sensor, and allow you to start the car. With the lever inside wedged down, it sends the signal everything is legit, and allows you to start the car. I put a 1/4 inch piece of carpenter pencil inside, and wrapped it with a long zip tie through the screw mounting holes, and then zip tied it to the frame on the left. Now I dont have any problems, and It did not cost me the 1200 that the dealership quoted to fix this piece that does nothing for you, and causes your car to fail for no reason whatsoever. Good luck!
Great Information!! Easy Fix!! Didn't cost me a dime "Thanks"
Old 11-23-2017, 09:18 AM
2009 Altima Coupe

Update-Apparently there was a warranty extension for this issue that expired in 2015. In March of 2017 Nissan began a service campaign to fix this issue on certain model years (I think it is 2009 and 2010). Parts are labor are free.

Other good news is that if you paid to have this fixed in the past I believe that they will reimburse you. Nissan says that they have the right to discontinue this program at any time. This just happened to me of Thanksgiving day so I have not verified that this program is still available.

The new part will no longer lock the steering column, but that's not a big deal for me.

p.s. I tried the "banging on the steering lock mechanism" trick and it did work, so I was able to get the car home.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:50 AM
2005 Murano
2010 Altima Sedan
2010 Infiniti G37 Journey

Had this yesterday on my G37 . Turned out the electric steering lock stuck . No dash lights at all , and no start. A techie came out removed a bit of trim ( Steering column ) A quick tap with a small hammer and moving the steering solved it. Seems Nissan's ( Infiniti's ) and Mercedes are prone to this . Although it may never stick again . No fun though stranded on on a a town street.

Tags
car, intelligent, locked, start, steering, wheel