Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2013 Steering Pump Noise Forums > > 2013 Steering Pump Noise 2013 Steering Pump Noise
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM
2013 Altima

Default 2013 Steering Pump Noise

Brought a 2013 New Nissan Altima 4 weeks ago. Noticed a whistling noise (which was low to begin with and grew with time). Took it back to dealership and they told me it was the steering pump noise and ordered to replace a new pump. Asked me to come back in 3 to 4 weeks . Was surprised it took so long to get a part for a current in production model. I siad I will report to consumer affairs. They changed the pump the same day. Drove it out of the dealership only to find the noise come back. Returned it to dealership. Got a call from dealersdhip as well as Nissa USA stating the the noise was acceptable. How can a noise be acceptable. Has any other 2013 Altima this problem? Ramesh
Old 11-25-2012, 07:03 AM
2013 Altima

Same noise, same response. Purchased the 2.5SV in Sep.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Enthusiast
2013 Altima Altima

Took mine to two dealerships and both said the same that the sound is normal and coming from the electronic steering pump. Opened a case with Nissan and not much has happened with that. Apparently, one of the two dealerships told me that Nissan is trying to come up with a solution to this problem. Not sure what to believe at this point since my 2013 Altima has several problems and to this day haven't been resolved. I supposed Nissan is waiting to see how many complaints they get for every issue before they put out a bulletin on how to fix a problem. It will be a frustrating battle but be persistent and if I were you, I honestly would file a consumer complaint and also with the BBB. I think that's the only way they will somehow listen.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima
2008 Versa

Just the kind of reason I never get a new car in the first year after a major redesign.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:38 PM
2015 Rogue

Check the power steering tube where is goes next took the strut tower to see if it his making contact with anything metal. If it is bend it up and away from it.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast
2013 Altima Altima

Shouldn't the dealerships know about this? I have brakes and sloshing noise (I believe coming from the gas tank) problems with my new Altima and I'm still waiting for them to fix them. I was advised by the master technician at one of the two dealerships that there aren't anything they can do until Nissan comes out with a fix for either. I don't quite understand that statement. This has been a battle for almost two months...
Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagger View Post
Shouldn't the dealerships know about this? I have brakes and sloshing noise (I believe coming from the gas tank) problems with my new Altima and I'm still waiting for them to fix them. I was advised by the master technician at one of the two dealerships that there aren't anything they can do until Nissan comes out with a fix for either. I don't quite understand that statement. This has been a battle for almost two months...
The dealerships do know about this, at least the ones with technicians that know what they are doing.
What problem are you having with the brakes? I have seen a few with brake squeaks that was resolved by replacing the brake pads and lubricating the caliper slides.
As far as a sloshing noise from the gas tank I have not heard of that problem yet. If it is actually coming from the gas tank there isn't really much that can be done about that. Does the noise change if the tank is full ?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast
2013 Altima Altima

It seems like the one I have been going to doesn't know what's going on. All I hear is "I need to call the factory rep and find out a fix. Your car will get fixed but at this time we need to wait for Nissan" Not sure what that means. It has become a frustrating battle. I took my car to my mechanic to get a second opinion outside of Nissan and he thinks the banging noise could be coming from the gas tank that maybe either the baffle is broken or missing. He couldn't do much more than listen because I didn't allow him to take it apart to not void my warranty. Now, for the brakes, it makes a noise when I brake. That's another thing that's upsetting. My mechanic also said that the wheels shouldn't move when it's on park or hand brakes. Whatever it's called. And lastly, the whistling noise is normal. It has been almost two months and to this very minute, I haven't gotten a clue as to what they plan on doing or working to fix this vehicle.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 AM
2013 Altima
2001 Pathfinder

Default whining noise

took our 2013 Altima SV to dealer yesterday. Our issue is there is a whining noise only on initial start up for 1 or 2 minutes. To me it is clearly a hydraulic pump beginning to fail as this noise didn't surface until about 4,000 miles. I didn't know if it was steering pump or torque converter. Dealer told me it is the steering pump and is normal. I simply wanted a service record as I know that sound and this pump will eventually fail.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:33 AM
2013 Altima Sedan

Default 2013 Altima Power Steering Pump

I too have a loud whistling noise just weeks after purchasing this car. Took back to the dealer and they said nothing can be done. I have researched online and other people are having same issues. WE SHOULD BE INFORMED of this when purchasing because Nissan IS AWARE of the problem. I would not have bought the car. Does the Lemon Law cover this?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeanne View Post
I too have a loud whistling noise just weeks after purchasing this car. Took back to the dealer and they said nothing can be done. I have researched online and other people are having same issues. WE SHOULD BE INFORMED of this when purchasing because Nissan IS AWARE of the problem. I would not have bought the car. Does the Lemon Law cover this?
Open the hood and find the power steering reservoir. Grab the top near the cap and wiggle it side to side. Watch the air conditioning line next to it. If it moves while you are moving the reservoir, bend the line away from it. It will bend easily. If that doesn't diminish the noise follow the metal line from the power steering pump back to where it bends around the strut tower. Make sure there is no contact the body .
Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

We have uploaded the bulletin about the power steering noise, you can downloaded here: 2013 Nissan Altima Sedan Service Bulletins - Nissanhelp.com
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM
2013 Altima Sedan

Default 2013 Altima S

Add one more to the list. I only have 200 miles and started to hear the same whining noise. Took it to the dealership and the service manager and mechanic said "Another One", this is normal to them and not me. I will have to see what the sales manager has to say. Any other suggestions for taking the car back to the dealership for something more reliable?
Old 12-05-2017, 05:37 AM
2017 Altima Sedan
2017 Altima SL

Default 2017 Altima STILL HAS WHINING NOISE

Brand new 2017 Altima STILL HAS WHINING NOISE!!! I had a 2014 and it was fine. Traded in for a 2017 in August and heard the whine after the 1st week. Dealer said "it will go away on its own after 6000km". Bullshit. Bringing it in today to see what kind of BS solution they have.

Tags
2013, noise, pump, steering