Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Touch Screen w/Nav turns off (blank) and on Forums > > Touch Screen w/Nav turns off (blank) and on Touch Screen w/Nav turns off (blank) and on
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 AM
2013 Altima

Thanks gcotton for the update. Now that you as well as dclaux have both confirmed with your dealerships that there is no fix other than replacing the unit, I will now take mine to get replaced as it appears continuing to wait for some easier solution is not going to happen. I think I will wait until after the holidays to take it. Lets all continue to post updates once they have been replaced.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM
2013 Altima

Please post the results. I just purchased a 2013 Altima with nav and my screen is blanking out also. I would love to go to the dealer and provide them with a reference number or what others have done. Thanks so much!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:05 PM
2013 Altima

Default Update

After my visit to the service department back on Dec 19th, I was told it would be "probably after Christmas" before the A/V unit would arrive because of the holiday. Well, today I figured I had waited long enough and called.

They did not have the part in. In fact while back tracking the order, which was actually placed on the 19th, it showed that Nissan CANCELLED it a couple of days after the order was placed on the factory end, not the dealership. So the dealer did not know it was never going to arrive unless I called.

They apologized for the problem and promised they would get it reordered today and check on it every day. They anticipate having it in by Friday. They will expedite my service so it will "bump" anybody else in the shop when the part arrives and I can get the car to them.

I guess I will see what happens on Friday, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:28 PM
2013 Altima

Default Warning lights started coming on

I was also experiencing my navigation lights blinking out as well until yesterday, all the warning lights in the dashboard starting coming on and blinking, the signal lights wouldnt work, and the car wouldn't turn off. I took my car in and they discovered that there was a loose connection at the instrucent cluster causing open circuit. They removed and reinstalled it. Also the instrument cluster bezel clip was warped and are having to order a new one. They said they will have to install it next week when it comes in. I haven't noticed my lights on navigation going out anymore so hopefully that fixed the problem. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 AM
2013 Altima

I have an appt. to take mine in on Tuesday and will post an update. From the prior posts of dclaux and gcotton others it sounds like the fix being offered is to replace the whole unit A/V unit. I am interested in them posting their outcome and I likewise will next week after I see if they are wanting to also replace the unit.
While I am at the dealership I am also going to ask about the high pitched morse code like noise the is heard from the power steering system unit that many others have also unfortunately have.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM
2013 Altima

I took my car in to the dealer. They confirmed the screen blanking. They tried a "reset" of the AV unit first. This did not work so they told me that they would need to order a new A/V unit to be installed. So hopefully the new unit will work correctly adn fix the the problem. I am just afraid now what the side effects will be of what I imagine will be tearing the dash apart to install the new unit.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 PM
2013 Altima

Default A/V unit replaced

Well, I took my car in today and had the A/V unit replaced. Was in and out in about 1.5 hours including an oil change. Here's what I've noticed so far.

1) The navigation is "different", but I'm not sure exactly what's different. It just doesn't have quite the same look and feel. It's been 100% smooth with no pauses or redrawing as I drive. So far, the display is not blanking, but it didn't start for about 500 miles initially. Still have about 450 to go. I still have the same SD card in the unit as I put a small mark on the card.

2) Rearview camera has a single, different and wider view with two (2) sets of lines. Pressing the "camera" button in reverse only changes the lines, not the view as before. After dark, it appears to be a little bit brighter, but maybe I'm just wanting it to be brighter at night.

3) The audio system now sounds great with cleaner bass and overall better definition. It's almost like the bass sub signal was being limited and/or distorted with the other A/V unit. Before I was listening on "5" but now, that will blow the doors off. I'm playing the radio at "3" and a happy camper.

5) XM radio is also new, so when I called XM to cancel the old unit before it rolled over to my active account on the 24th, I talked them into another 3 month "trial" before this one is added to my service in April.

I would be interested to see if there are other differences that may be uncovered by those that have their A/V unit replaced. I may find others, but I think I've pretty much run it through it's paces.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 PM
2013 Altima

gcotton, I wonder if you not only got a new unit but a different model unit that was made for some other model car. It would be interesting to know what your service dept. would have to say about your findings. I will not be happy if the rearview camera is as you describe when then they replace mine as I like the two different views (distant and close up) when you press the camera button. I will post again after mine is replaced.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM
2012 Altima

OK-- This is the very latest. I dropped off my 2013 Altima sedan 2.5 SL with Nav package at the dealer today (1/25/13). They confirmed the screen blanking problem and spoke with Nissan tech line (which has to confirm the problem and go through steps with the repair technician before authorizing AV replacement). Nissan is aware of this problem and has isolated it to a software, not hardware defect. They are working right now on a software update/reflash and are not presently authorizing hardware replacements. They did not give a specific time period but I assume it will be fairly soon.

I'm glad that, hopefully, a simple reflash will fix the problem and eliminate the need to take the dashboard apart in a brand new car.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 AM
2013 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikercr View Post
OK-- This is the very latest. I dropped off my 2013 Altima sedan 2.5 SL with Nav package at the dealer today (1/25/13). They confirmed the screen blanking problem and spoke with Nissan tech line (which has to confirm the problem and go through steps with the repair technician before authorizing AV replacement). Nissan is aware of this problem and has isolated it to a software, not hardware defect. They are working right now on a software update/reflash and are not presently authorizing hardware replacements. They did not give a specific time period but I assume it will be fairly soon.

I'm glad that, hopefully, a simple reflash will fix the problem and eliminate the need to take the dashboard apart in a brand new car.
There certainly seems to be some inconsistencies when Nissan is called by the dealership. As I previoulsy indicated, Nissan told my service department to replace the unit after the reset did not work. The unit was ordered, and I got a call on Friday stating it was in. I will be taking the car in tomorrow to get it installed. So Nissan is and did autorize a replacement. Ggotton also got a new unit installed per his posts. The problem I think is that for this and many other problems identified on this forum, Nissan's answer seems to be that they are working on a fix, and the car owners patiently wait for months and months still without resolution. I for one will be glad to get the new unit installed.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 AM
2012 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermgr View Post
There certainly seems to be some inconsistencies when Nissan is called by the dealership. As I previoulsy indicated, Nissan told my service department to replace the unit after the reset did not work. The unit was ordered, and I got a call on Friday stating it was in. I will be taking the car in tomorrow to get it installed. So Nissan is and did autorize a replacement. Ggotton also got a new unit installed per his posts. The problem I think is that for this and many other problems identified on this forum, Nissan's answer seems to be that they are working on a fix, and the car owners patiently wait for months and months still without resolution. I for one will be glad to get the new unit installed.
Wonder if I'm the first one subjected to the new approach to this problem by Nissan. I'm keeping it on a very short leash--one week for a TSB fix (they told my dealership that the software is already done but the TSB is in the works). Otherwise, I'm going to demand a new unit or compensation for loss of use (4 months).
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
2013 Altima

Got my new replacement AV unit installed today. Works great so far. Functions identical to the old one that was blanking out. I am keeping my fingers crossed....
Old 02-08-2013, 05:30 PM
2013 Altima Sedan

Default Contacted my Nissan Dealer

I've had the same issues as everyone here and I've brought my car in multiple times and each time they could not duplicate the issue.

Anyways the service manager at my Nissan dealer said that engineering is aware of the intermittent outage from the touchscreen. He asked me if it happens while a device was plugged into the USB port. I does happen more often with my iPhone 4s plugged in but it also happens while just using the radio.

To sum it up he stated engineering is aware of the problem and stated they would release a software update to resolve the issue. Trouble with that is if there is a software patch released, it is not known to the public unless its a recall so who knows what is going to happen.

Just thought I'd pass along what I've heard about this issue.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:00 PM
2009 Murano

I had the same problem with my 2014 Rogue. I called Nissan Canada Customer Service and they were useless! I complained to the dealer and again to Nissan Canada and that got the ball rolling. They swapped out the nav/audio system and now the volume control is out of control! If I set my volume to 3 it is too loud! The guidance voice, the voice recognition and the Bluetooth phone volumes are ear splitting. I cannot adjust any of the last three items below a setting of 5. Gonna give my dealer a call in the morning and give him the "good" news!
Old 11-03-2016, 11:47 AM
2016 Murano

I had a video of the exact problem and the service department wasn't interested in it. They said unless they can see if first hand they can't begin to figure out what the problem is. My question was, what is the difference if you see the screen go blank and then log back in with the Nissan symbol on the screen itself or on my phone video? He couldn't answer that. My car is a 2016 Murano with only 5K miles! Needless to say I'm pissed!

Tags
blank, nav, screen, touch, turns, w or nav