Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Brand new 2013 Nissan Altima S makes a squeaking noise Forums > > Brand new 2013 Nissan Altima S makes a squeaking noise Brand new 2013 Nissan Altima S makes a squeaking noise
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 07-25-2012, 06:04 AM
2012 Altima
2013 Altima

Angry Brand new 2013 Nissan Altima S makes a squeaking noise

Hi,

My husband is a die hard honda fan. I convinced him to buy Nissan because of the mileage. We bought a brand new Nissan Altima 2013 two days ago. We did our test drive on a rainy day hence our windows were not down and therefore we did not hear the noise.

Next day we found when we drive between 30 - 40 it makes a noise as if metal on metal is rubbing. We took it to service center and they fixed.

Now we hear bells jingling, squeeking, whistling noise when we drive on rough surface or drive close to any object like trees, or parked cars in slow speeds. Is anyone else facing this issue ? Did we get a bad piece ?
Does this happen in the SV or SL models ? I want to return the car but did not know until now it would be so difficult. This is a brand new car we bought it for 25K. Not at all happy. Can any of you advise ?

-remorse buyer :(
Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 PM
2012 Altima

Default 2013 Altima - Same issue...

My car is at the dealership today.

Hi pitched whine at low speed that alternates in pitch. Sounds like a vacuum leak or pump.

Just waiting for the "this is normal" response say we can begin bashing of heads process.

You ever get a resolution on your noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb001 View Post
Hi,

My husband is a die hard honda fan. I convinced him to buy Nissan because of the mileage. We bought a brand new Nissan Altima 2013 two days ago. We did our test drive on a rainy day hence our windows were not down and therefore we did not hear the noise.

Next day we found when we drive between 30 - 40 it makes a noise as if metal on metal is rubbing. We took it to service center and they fixed.

Now we hear bells jingling, squeeking, whistling noise when we drive on rough surface or drive close to any object like trees, or parked cars in slow speeds. Is anyone else facing this issue ? Did we get a bad piece ?
Does this happen in the SV or SL models ? I want to return the car but did not know until now it would be so difficult. This is a brand new car we bought it for 25K. Not at all happy. Can any of you advise ?

-remorse buyer :(
Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 AM
2012 Altima

Default Altima 2013 noise problem

Same problem with my brand new 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5S. Whistling noise at low rpm which is very irritating. Service Tech at dealership had no clue and the same problem was noticed in multiple other brand new 2013 Altimas on the lot. It is a 'normal sound' associated with the power steering pump (according to Nissan technical support).
My take is that it is NOT normal if it is driving the customer crazy specially if you have to hear a hissing, whistling sound all the time that you have not heard before in any other automobile in your life. There has to be a recall on this to be fixed and this does not bode well for this new version of Altima as a sedan which was supposed to overtake Camry and Accord. Nissan needs to step in NOW.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 PM
2012 Altima

Agreed, and agreed.

I got the "this is normal response" today.

Called Nissan corporate and started a case.

I suggest you do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raldi View Post
Same problem with my brand new 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5S. Whistling noise at low rpm which is very irritating. Service Tech at dealership had no clue and the same problem was noticed in multiple other brand new 2013 Altimas on the lot. It is a 'normal sound' associated with the power steering pump (according to Nissan technical support).
My take is that it is NOT normal if it is driving the customer crazy specially if you have to hear a hissing, whistling sound all the time that you have not heard before in any other automobile in your life. There has to be a recall on this to be fixed and this does not bode well for this new version of Altima as a sedan which was supposed to overtake Camry and Accord. Nissan needs to step in NOW.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:05 AM
2012 Altima
2013 Altima

We opened a case with Nissan. They asked us to go to the dealer to fix it. Only if the dealer cannot fix it they would encourage the dealer to accept the return. They did the fix first time when we heard metal on metal rubbing noise if you drive between 30-40.

After that we get buzzing and whistling noise when driving at slow speeds. So again went to dealer and this time its "THE SOUND YOU HEARD TODAY WAS COMING FROM CASTLE NUTS ON THE FRONT AXLES. CASTLE NUTS HOLD THE COTTER PINS IN PLACE. COTTER PINS ARE WHAT ENSURE THAT THE AXLE LOCKING NUT DOES NOT BACK OFF. THE CASTLE NUTS WERE JUST RATTLING AROUND.NO POTENTIAL DANGER TO YOU OR THE VEHICLE’S DRIVING.TECHNICIAN JUST TOOK THE WHEELS OFF,APPLIED SEALER TO QUIET THE CASTLE NUTS AND REPLACED THE COTTER PINS. THERE WAS NO DANGER TO THE OPERATION OF THE VEHICLE. "

Now we hear whistling and buzzing noise sporadically and since its not consistent we cannot go to the dealer as its hard to prove there is a problem. On the whole Nissan misled us with the mileage.

I wish NISSAN do the quality test before selling the car instead of testing it with the customers who shell out money and seeing their dream purchase utter failure.

Hope this helps for new buyers to be cautious.

Last edited by mgb001; 08-10-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:28 PM
2012 Altima

Why in the world would something like that be loose from the factory?

That doesn't say a lot for their QA processes.

I have no issues getting the sound to happen whenever I drive the car, so I will be happy to take the car back to the dealerhsip until they turn themselve blue in the face.

I started a discussion thread about the issue here:

2013 Altima SV - Constant whining noise at low speeds - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

In case you are interested.

Quote:
We opened a case with Nissan. They asked us to go to the dealer to fix it. Only if the dealer cannot fix it they would encourage the dealer to accept the return. They did the fix first time when we heard metal on metal rubbing noise if you drive between 30-40.

After that we get buzzing and whistling noise when driving at slow speeds. So again went to dealer and this time its "THE SOUND YOU HEARD TODAY WAS COMING FROM CASTLE NUTS ON THE FRONT AXLES. CASTLE NUTS HOLD THE COTTER PINS IN PLACE. COTTER PINS ARE WHAT ENSURE THAT THE AXLE LOCKING NUT DOES NOT BACK OFF. THE CASTLE NUTS WERE JUST RATTLING AROUND.NO POTENTIAL DANGER TO YOU OR THE VEHICLE’S DRIVING.TECHNICIAN JUST TOOK THE WHEELS OFF,APPLIED SEALER TO QUIET THE CASTLE NUTS AND REPLACED THE COTTER PINS. THERE WAS NO DANGER TO THE OPERATION OF THE VEHICLE. "

Now we hear whistling and buzzing noise sporadically and since its not consistent we cannot go to the dealer as its hard to prove there is a problem. On the whole Nissan misled us with the mileage.

I wish NISSAN do the quality test before selling the car instead of testing it with the customers who shell out money and seeing their dream purchase utter failure.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:06 AM
2012 Altima
2012 Altima Coupe

Quote:

Same issue, noise, and same response from mechanic yesterday but they did not have time to deal with my issue. This morning the car is being towed because the tire is now off the wheel and the wheel itself appears to be slightly detached from car. No accidents, and sitting around 1000 miles.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:07 AM
2012 Altima
2012 Altima Coupe

I just found this forum because I was googling issues with these models. I don't know how to upload a picture but I wouldn't mind doing so as I wait for the car to be towed to Nissan.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:19 PM
2012 Altima

I would truly like to see a pic of this. I'm not sure how to upload a photo here, but you could upload one to a service like imgur.com and then just post the link.

Ok, so I have been experiencing several issues with my '13 Altima, and wasn't gonna bring up one other thing I was noticing, but since wheels are falling off cars now, I think it prudent to ask...

Was there any particular noise leading up to this?

I ask because when the windows are down I hear a very faint clinking sound like a loose bolt, but just haven't even wanted to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdknipe View Post
I just found this forum because I was googling issues with these models. I don't know how to upload a picture but I wouldn't mind doing so as I wait for the car to be towed to Nissan.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:02 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdknipe View Post
Same issue, noise, and same response from mechanic yesterday but they did not have time to deal with my issue. This morning the car is being towed because the tire is now off the wheel and the wheel itself appears to be slightly detached from car. No accidents, and sitting around 1000 miles.
I believe the noise you are describing is a normal noise for that vehicle. The power steering is driven by an electric motor that turns the pump instead of being driven by a belt from the engine. This helps increase fuel mileage by reducing the load on the engine. The pump does make a rather loud whining noise. If you turn the car on and open the hood you will find the power steering pump and reservoir right behind the passenger head lamp in the engine compartment. You should be able to verify that it is the source of the noise you are hearing.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:09 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

uploading pictures: below this message screen after you click Post Reply and under "additional options" click Manage Attachement and a new window will pop up. click on Browse to select pictures in your Pictures Folder. you either upload 1 picture or the entire Folder. So if you have multiple photos say 5 photos, put them all in a folder and upload the entire folder. Then click "Upload" and it will be in the Manage Attachement. When you click Submit Reply for your post, the photos will be automatically downloaded.

Each one of you should contact Nissan Consumer Affairs Dept. and register your issue. You can also contact NHTSA.gov (national highway transportation and safety administration).
Old 08-25-2012, 06:25 PM
2012 Altima

Default Video of noise

Thanks benny!

I have completed my CA complaint and moved on to my BBB Lemon Law claim. The arbitration hearing should be in the next couple of weeks.

I pulled the video into iMovie and was able to adjust the audio in the following ways:

1. Increased overall clip volume
2. Reduced background noise to 40 (I'm not sure what the value stands for)
3. Increased the EQ in the 1 & 2k band slightly

The noise is not audio aliasing/matrixing or compression artifacts.

This is the noise I hear everytime I get in my car. This video is while the car is moving going straight.

https://vimeo.com/48221055

You may need to turn the volume up on your computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb53 View Post
uploading pictures: below this message screen after you click Post Reply and under "additional options" click Manage Attachement and a new window will pop up. click on Browse to select pictures in your Pictures Folder. you either upload 1 picture or the entire Folder. So if you have multiple photos say 5 photos, put them all in a folder and upload the entire folder. Then click "Upload" and it will be in the Manage Attachement. When you click Submit Reply for your post, the photos will be automatically downloaded.

Each one of you should contact Nissan Consumer Affairs Dept. and register your issue. You can also contact NHTSA.gov (national highway transportation and safety administration).
Old 08-26-2012, 07:55 PM
2012 Altima

Default Some new info...

I just posted some new info about the noise on this thread, in case anyone is interested.

2013 Altima SV - Constant whining noise at low speeds - Page 7 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
Old 09-08-2012, 07:23 PM
2011 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
I believe the noise you are describing is a normal noise for that vehicle. The power steering is driven by an electric motor that turns the pump instead of being driven by a belt from the engine. This helps increase fuel mileage by reducing the load on the engine. The pump does make a rather loud whining noise. If you turn the car on and open the hood you will find the power steering pump and reservoir right behind the passenger head lamp in the engine compartment. You should be able to verify that it is the source of the noise you are hearing.
I wouldn't describe an electric motor in the engine bay that could be heard in the cabin as "normal".
Old 10-01-2012, 02:27 PM
2013 Altima
2011 Murano

Same problem, own a 2013 Altima Sedan SV. As soon as you un-plug the steering pump the noise is gone. As soon as you plug it in, it will drive you nuts, with a loud whining noise. My Altima was bought in Cobourg Ontario. It will be going back tomorrow. See I'm retired so I have lots of time to complain and report the problem, so I am hoping Nissan will not let me down.....This is my 5th Nissan..

Tags
2013, altima, brand, intermittant high-pitch, makes, nissan, noise, squeaking, whine