Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2008 CVT Flush Forums > > 2008 CVT Flush 2008 CVT Flush
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 01-10-2012, 12:15 PM
2008 Altima

Default 2008 CVT Flush

Can anybody tell me how many quarts it takes to flush and refill a a CVT transmission on a 2008 Altima 2.5? The dealer tech says just over 7. The shop that's doing the service say they want me to bring them 12 quarts. The owner's manual doesn't indicate an amount. Do you need a few extra quarts to flush the system? As pricey as the fluid is, I hate to buy more than I need to do the job. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

To do a transmission flush with a machine it takes more fluid than what the transmission actually takes, because the machines keeps exchanging the fluid until the fluid is clean. If you just want to drain the old fluid and add new one, then it take about 5-6 qrts.

How many miles on your Altima? the factory recommend replacing the fluid every 60,000 miles.

Last edited by NissanTech; 01-10-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:21 AM
2008 Altima

I appreciate the reply. This Altima is right at 60k miles. The dealer told me they do not have a transmission flush machine and just drain and refill trans fluid. I can't see the point in mixing new and old fluids together. The independent shop that is going to do the flush for me seemed to want an awful lot of "extra" fluid to do this job. They want 12 quarts. So, if I'm doing the flush, do I need 12 quarts, or can I get the job done with, say,10? Does it depend on the type of flush macine that is used? Thanks again for the reply.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:37 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima
2005 Armada
2005 Armada Le

I did my 2009 CVT Altima at 50,000 miles. I used just under 12 quarts. First, with an $8.00 autozone vacuum hand pump I sucked out the fluid in the pan and replaced it with new NS-2. It took just over 5 quarts.
Next I disconnected the transmission return line and ran the car until a quart of old fluid came out. Replaced the lost fluid and repeated. It was very clear at 11.5 quarts. Note it only takes about 7-8 seconds to fill your measured container a quart. With a helper it only took us 30 minutes total.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
2008 Altima

Thanks, Boland01, for that info and procedure to flush the transmission. While I would normally do something like this myself, as I age, my back (and knees) are starting to dictate the choices I make on repairs, cars or otherwise. Unfortunately, I'll have to pay a shop to do this service for me. As long as I know the system can be flushed I'll get them the 12 qts of NS-2 they will need. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima
2007 maxima

my max gets drained every 30k with (4 qts i believe) after all there is a drain plug.
at 90k the fluid looks good-- if that count,, now ready for change.

Tags
2008, cvt, flush