Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Engine Cranks But Won't Start After Dead Battery Recharged Forums > > Engine Cranks But Won't Start After Dead Battery Recharged Engine Cranks But Won't Start After Dead Battery Recharged
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 PM
ashishmarwal

Unhappy Engine Cranks But Won't Start After Dead Battery Recharged

My 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5S was running all find untill yesterday before I left the door and stereo on which drained the battery. I got it jump started and it was running fine. Unfortunately I turned it off too quick that it never ever jump started again. I realized this being a 0% battery situation, unhooked the batter out of the car and visited an auto parts store today. The batter was so dead to even let the very basic functions work. They charged, tested and found it doing good.

I got the battery back in the car after cleaning the terminal. Unfortunately now the engine cranks but doesn't start. From the cranking sound I hear I feel it's almost there but it won't start. I was also able to see little smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. Not sure what the problem is :( Any help to get my car moving will be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ashish
Old 12-29-2011, 12:05 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Verify the battery post connections are good and tight. Do not press the gas pedal when starting. I have never press the gas pedal at start up, the computer is program to do all that.

If the problem persists, have your starter tested. Do not keep cranking else you risk damage to the starter assuming it is still good. Give it a rest a good 3 minutes to cool it down.

Last edited by bennyb53; 12-29-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 AM
ashishmarwal

Battery post connections look good as all lights come up, I can Lock/Unlock using the Keyfob, sound horn etc. I left the battery connected overnight and tried one more time in the morning with both keys I have with me.

I have called a freelancer to take a look at it and he will be there in an hour or so. Let's see what he finds out..I really don't want to tow it :(

Last edited by ashishmarwal; 12-29-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: provided more info
Old 02-19-2012, 11:55 AM
2000 Altima

Hi Ashish,

I'm in the same situation - had charged up the dead battery on my 2000 Nissan Altima. Now, the battery is good (all lights come up), have fuel, the engine cranks when I turn the key but it won't start.

Can you please let me know what you've found out about this problem and how you fixed it?

Thank you,
Ravi
Old 02-23-2012, 07:01 AM
2000 Altima

Default Same problem...

We have been having the same problem, but very intermittent. In fact, we've had our car towed to our mechanic buddy's shop twice, and both times the car started right up once it got there, the second time we left it there for the afternoon and every time he tried it it would start up just fine. So, we drove the car home, but at some random time later, it stopped working again.

Any updates on your situation?

Tags
battery, cranks, dead, engine, recharged, start