Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005  Altima alternater problem Forums > > 2005  Altima alternater problem 2005 Altima alternater problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-23-2011, 06:06 AM
wokendreams

Default 2005 Altima alternater problem

I've had both battery and alternator bench tested and both passed mutiple times. Re-installed them and still only reading 12.6 on both with car running. There is a plug with 2 wires on the alternator. If I am correct they tell the alternator to turn on. If I am wrong please correct me, but how do I test these wires?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:59 PM
2015 Rogue

Both of those wires should have 12 volts with the ignition on.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:19 AM
wokendreams

So this confirms that my alternator does work, but how do I trouble shoot the lack of 12 volts?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 AM
C17JETTECH1

Concerning serpentine belt slap we had it was the alternator that was causing the problem. Changed alternator it is good to go!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:10 AM
wokendreams

Ok, so I've tried a new alternator, belt, and a tensioner. I still have no power going to the 2-wire connector on the alternator.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 AM
wokendreams

Just wanted to update so anyone with a similar problem might benefit. I traced the brown and yellow wire off the alternator plug to the back of my instrument panel. Well while dismantling it I noticed the plug was not plugged in all the way. Simple. I pushed the plug in all the way and started the car. I used a meter to check and everything was working! I've never done work previously in the dash so its kinda strange the plug came loose. Thanks to everyone that tried to help. I hope maybe this helps someone down the road.

Tags
2005, alternater, altima, problem