Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Altima 3.5 SE - no power over 2000 rpms Forums > > 2003 Altima 3.5 SE - no power over 2000 rpms 2003 Altima 3.5 SE - no power over 2000 rpms
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-05-2009, 06:28 AM
rgalford1

Unhappy 2003 Altima 3.5 SE - no power over 2000 rpms

Hi folks. I'm writing because I seem to be at my last option about my Altima. Over time, the power of my car has steadily reduced. Now, if I push the accelerator down with any kind of load the engine just seems to spin and makes a almost grinding kind of noise. The engine light doesn't come on either -- just spits and sputters when any load is placed on the engine. Also, the car starts great and everything works fine from a stop. I've had the catalytic convertor, throttle body and MAF replaced and still no improvement. Please HELP -- I don't know where to go from here. Thanks to anyone that may have some ideas -- Please keep in mind I am not very mechanically inclined -- THANKS!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

There is a bulletin for that problem, that suggested to replaced the air flow meter, but you already did that.

The next step is checking the fuel pressure, but you need a fuel pressure gauge and some adapters. Even if you have to pay for the fuel pressure inspection it should be cheaper than replacing more parts.

Also make sure you check the spark plugs and transmission fluid level and condition.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:39 AM
rgalford1

Unhappy

Thanks for your reply. To me, it does seem like it's starving for fuel or air when you put a load on it. I'll have the dealer check that out when I take it in.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:27 PM
rgalford1

Unhappy

BTW, does any of this sound like a transmission problem?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Does the engine speed increase when you give it more petal yet the vehicle speed does not seem to match?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:48 AM
vdj06

My 2003 Altima does the same thing
Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 AM
rgalford1

The engine and tach continue to speed up but the engine will sputter and almost choke itself off until I let off the gas.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 AM
rgalford1

Did you get yours fixed and if so, what was it?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalford1 View Post
The engine and tach continue to speed up but the engine will sputter and almost choke itself off until I let off the gas.
Hopefully, not a pre-cat failure on its way. You said you had the cat replaced, but what about the pre-cats?

Any trouble-codes? The computer can set trouble-codes without lighting up the Check Engine light, depending on the problem.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 AM
rgalford1

Altima SSS: I don't know what a pre-cat is, remember I'm not very mechanically inclined. I recently had the cat replaced for a nice tidy sum of $1600.00

The engine light does not come on and as far as I know, it's not faulting for anything. How do I check to see if it's faulting for some code(s)? Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:18 PM
X-Digit

I had the same problem and i fixed it for 150$, i got rid of precats (the ones that come right from the engine there are 2 of them) and also i cut out the main catalytic converter (the one that is underneath your car) and welded in straight pipe instead.

1. i got more power than i had when i just bought the car.

2. my millage improved a lot.

3. my check engine light didn't come on.

The only problem is that exhaust smells ... no smoke but it smells like shit and obviously you will not pass emission. But I saved my engine. My friend had to replace engine cuz of that. Precats and cat got clogged because of oil consumption (those engines burn oil naturally lol no harm to engine though)
Old 03-20-2011, 02:15 PM
rgalford1

Default Thanks for the info.

Turns out it was nothing more than my catalytic converter needing to be cleaned out. I'm not a mechanic but the guy told me it has two of them front and back. Once he cleaned them out, car ran great again and no smell. Cost me $150. Thanks to everyone who responded to this post.

Tags
2000, 2003, altima, power, rpms