Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2006 Altima 2.5S O2 Sensor Question Forums > > 2006 Altima 2.5S O2 Sensor Question 2006 Altima 2.5S O2 Sensor Question
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-01-2011, 12:55 PM
jpatterson12

Default 2006 Altima 2.5S O2 Sensor Question

I recently got a SES with the code: P0420. I was able to get it diagnosed and they determined that it was the downstream bank 1 O2 sensor. After some research on my behalf, since the car is a 4 cylindar 2.5S, I think that there are only 2 sensors... One before the catalytic converter and one after. If that is the case, would they most likely be referring to the later?

Any help that you can provide would be fantastic, thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

You probably don't need to replaced the sensor, just reprogram the Engine Control Module (ECM). There is a factory technical service bulletin for that problem:

Knowledgebase - 2006 Altima - Nissanhelp.com Forums
Old 02-03-2011, 06:03 AM
jpatterson12

So this looks like something that I will have to take the car into the shop to check. That beings said, it looks like it is an error on the ECM if this in fact clears it. So would I have to pay for that?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:17 PM
jpatterson12

I am at the dealership now and they are saying that it is the cat, even though the diagnostis said it was the O2 sensor. I asked if they checked the diagnostics and the said they didnt need to and that this code is always the cat. He also said that the cat could break apart and damage the engine, but isnt that the 2005 and older altimas that had that problem?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima
2008 Versa

Any cat will damage the engine if it breaks up.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:47 PM
dreaminjohn

Interesting. I have an '04 2.5 SL. Had it at the dealer today for the same code. Same EXACT diagnosis. Apparently they have a Nissan Service Bulletin (NTB09-046 - http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ba...9-046.pdf)that specifies it to be the cat (2 cats, in my case). I asked how they can be sure it's not the O2 sensor(s) when they don't specifically test the cat and they said their diags are more comprehensive and when they plug in THEIR ECM it shows it to be the cat and only the cat.

So after receiving my $1600 quote needless to say I'm checking out Midas tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default Cats

Be careful with aftermarket converters. Some will still set efficiency codes as they are not specific and efficient enough for every vehicle that they are listed as covering. The ECM sets a code even with the new aftermarket converter in some cases.

The OEM cat is specific to the year and emissions of that vehicle. On OBDI vehicles, an aftermarket cat works fine. It can on OBDII cars, but many places install universal converters that are a problem. Some aftermarket "specific" ones can also be a problem as well.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:42 AM
dreaminjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchoguy View Post
Be careful with aftermarket converters. Some will still set efficiency codes as they are not specific and efficient enough for every vehicle that they are listed as covering. The ECM sets a code even with the new aftermarket converter in some cases.

The OEM cat is specific to the year and emissions of that vehicle. On OBDI vehicles, an aftermarket cat works fine. It can on OBDII cars, but many places install universal converters that are a problem. Some aftermarket "specific" ones can also be a problem as well.
Great info here. Thanks very much for the input.

My 04 Altima has 204k miles and counting. The dealer mentioned that a bad cat can turn to "charcoal" and bits can be sucked into the engine, causing major damage. That being said, the best price I've received with aftermarket parts for the total job is $650 less than the dealer ($1600 vs 950 - Midas was MORE than the dealer!!). That ain't hay. So even if the non-OEM throws a code I think I can live with it.

Tags
2006, 25s, altima, question, sensor