Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
03 Altima-Clicking noise Forums > > 03 Altima-Clicking noise 03 Altima-Clicking noise
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 01-31-2011, 04:26 AM
jak1027

Default 03 Altima-Clicking noise

Upon start up my engine makes a loud clicking noise (hard to tell exactly where its coming from), if I turn the key off and restart the car the noise is gone, any ideas???

Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 PM
robo_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak1027 View Post
Upon start up my engine makes a loud clicking noise (hard to tell exactly where its coming from), if I turn the key off and restart the car the noise is gone, any ideas???

Thanks
Is it a rhythmic clicking, such as something in the engine doing something bad?

Or is it a couple of clicks?

If the starter solenoid is sticking, that would make a very loud non-rhythmic metallic clicking sound, and by re-starting the engine, you are freeing up the mechanism. Same sound a car with a weak battery makes when you try to start it less the sound of the running engine.

The solenoid is attached to the starter and the starter might be that part that's sticking.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:55 PM
hybenz

My sister's 04 altima problem is similar,when the car is turned on,you'll hear a bad clicking noise sort of coming from the engine. There are times when you warm up the car then turn it off then back off you barely hear the noise. It even lowers down after driving for about 10 to 15 mins. I got an answer from Nissan Altima repair but I can't figure out its connection. told me that I should check the the oil level and the vehicle's oil type. Since 10w 30 is a thicker oil which is the possible reason of the clicking noise.

Tags
altimaclicking, noise