Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
misfire diagnosis Forums > > misfire diagnosis misfire diagnosis
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 12-31-2010, 01:06 PM
ardenmann

Default misfire diagnosis

My Altima idles fine, but sputters from 1500- 2000 rpm. Once over 2000, its back to normal. CEL shows Cylinder 1 misfire. Installed new plugs and wires, the EGR is 2 years old but diaphragm moves OK, cyl 1 injector seems to tick as well as the others.

From reading I've done here, it looks like I'm probably looking at a new distributor.
I have a couple pics here ( i know the engine is dirty) but do these help anyone confirm or question the distributor question? One pic is of the (top of) rear of the distributor, where it's bolted to the motor, and the other is the rubber gasket hanging off the mounting surface once the dist cap is removed. Not sure if that rubber gasket is even salvageable-

Please let me know if, judging by what I've done and anything the pics might tell you, if the distributor is probably my problem- just trying to eliminate possibilities so I don't throw $600 worth of parts at it if I can just replace 1 thing----
Old 01-01-2011, 05:41 AM
2015 Rogue

Take the distributor cap and rotor off and remove the plastic cover under it. If you see oil inside then the seal is bad. Also check for an intake manifold leak. You can spray carb. cleaner around the manifold with the car running, if the rpms change while you are spraying then you have a leak.
ASE Master Certified.

Tags
diagnosis, misfire