Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Altima HVAC Control Question---Attn MPE and Tech Forums > > 2002 Altima HVAC Control Question---Attn MPE and Tech 2002 Altima HVAC Control Question---Attn MPE and Tech
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default 2002 Altima HVAC Control Question---Attn MPE and Tech

As you guys know, I replaced the HVAC control on the 2002 Altima 2.5SL with a used one off Ebay. The car was made in 4/02.

From what I can tell from the Nissan FAST2 parts system, there might be two parts:

27512-8J000 which is shown for the 2.5S (not the SL, but I assume that the SL is encompassed here because it's probably just an S with the leather package) from production 8/01 to 8/02.

or

27512-8J500 which is listed for the base 2.5 from 8/01 to 8/02.

I don't remember which version I got because the "new" one is now installed in the car and the research I found online at the time didn't distinguish between the trim versions as being different parts.

The temperature cable appears to be part # 27542-8J000 which is good for 2002 and up Altima L31 models, irregardless of trim level.

As you guys also know, I had to modify the attachment of the cable to the "fan gear" because the cable on the "new" unit I got was popping off the pivot.

After installing the new control, the temperature dial now works the cable and moves the fan gear. I got heat and cool air.

However, the defroster is always blowing cold, no matter where the temperature control is set. The heat seems to work normally. (It's not my car, so I'm going by what the owner is telling me). I know I'm going to have to go back in there and make a cable adjustment because it's not 100%, but at the time, I got it working good enough for the summer heat--the previous cable pivot on the back of the controller broke and consequently, the cable wasn't doing anything :).

I've noticed that the cable wants to ride off the pivot (but it can't because I've modified the fan gear so it can't pop off), but I believe the travel in the cable is being "used up" by it riding off the pivot versus pushing the fan gear (and consequently operating the blend door).

In other words, travel is being wasted on the cable by its tendency to move away from the pivot and against the stop.

What I did to the fan gear was drill it out and put a stud and a screw on it. Now the cable cannot fall off the pivot (it was just a snap fit previously), so I'm good there.

I think what I'm going to do is capture the cable between two washers and secure it down. In this fashion the cable stays put and can only pivot the fan gear back and forth.

Any comments or other things I can check would be great. I should try to shoot a video of this so you guys can see what I'm trying to describe here.

Thanks for any input....photo of the FAST2 illustration attached...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2002 Nissan Altima L31 Manual HVAC.pdf (84.7 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Ponchoguy; 11-03-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:12 PM
2015 Rogue

So when you change from dash vents to defrost the outlet temperature changes?
ASE Master Certified.

Last edited by mpe235; 11-04-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:02 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default Dash Vents

MPE:

I'll find out. It's not my car, so I'll check it for myself.

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default HVAC

MPE:

Again, I'll check, but the car does get heat. However, when the defroster is used, the air coming out of the vents up top is cold.

What do you think? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default HVAC

MPE:

I checked the Altima tonight. Warmed up the car (it's in the 40's here in New York), and I got good heat out of the vents on the dash, especially when the mode control is on the face vents on the dash. As expected, when you do bi-level (foot and dash vents), it's less intense.

However when you switch to defroster, it's cool air (with the temperature control on hot).

What do you think? It's certainly better than before, because the cable arm on the old HVAC control was broken, but I'd like to get it 100% :).

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:05 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchoguy View Post
MPE:

I checked the Altima tonight. Warmed up the car (it's in the 40's here in New York), and I got good heat out of the vents on the dash, especially when the mode control is on the face vents on the dash. As expected, when you do bi-level (foot and dash vents), it's less intense.

However when you switch to defroster, it's cool air (with the temperature control on hot).

What do you think? It's certainly better than before, because the cable arm on the old HVAC control was broken, but I'd like to get it 100% :).

Thanks.
That's a strange one. Maybe a problem inside the box.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:11 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Is there a difference in those controls between the base model and the S/SL models? It appeared to be the same. I remember when I did it, a couple of the connectors looked exactly the same and I got confused (I didn't mark it before diassembly), but everything else seems to work fine.

I'll check it out again. Could it be a cable issue? Maybe the door isn't travelling far enough?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

MPE:

We got some frosty/cold weather here of late. I found out:

1) The car has never really had good HVAC from day one (car is a 1 owner car).
2) There is heat from the dash vents, but when you switch to defrost, it's cold air.
3) I am thinking about disconnecting the cable at the fan gear and seeing if it now travels further (and I subsequently get hot air at the defrost vents). If so, I know I have a cable issue.
4) I will also check for low coolant issues as well. I saw a bulletin that talks about bleeding...looks quite involved, including making makeshift bleed "tools" (bottles), etc.

Any other insight you can give me or direction you can point me is always appreciated.

Thanks....
Old 11-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
So when you change from dash vents to defrost the outlet temperature changes?
It doesn't seem to ever be hot from the defroster vents from what I'm told. Defroster is pretty ineffective...
Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Any feedback? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

It's surely in that cable. The one I got off Ebay had a slight tweak/kink in in the end. I disconnected it and rotated the gear by hand. Defroster and heater are much better.

I'm going to get the replacement HVAC lever for it, rebuild the original and put it back into place. It should work then.

Tags
2002, altima, control, hvac, mpe, questionattn, tech