Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
94 Nissan Altima Stalling Forums > > 94 Nissan Altima Stalling 94 Nissan Altima Stalling
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 AM
EatShark

Exclamation 94 Nissan Altima Stalling

I have the same problem with my 94 Nissan Altima. I will be driving along, then seemingly at random the RPM fluctuates up or down 500 or so then the car stalls. If I wait a little while on the side of the road it usually starts then drives for about 15 minutes or so.
I replaced my alternator (stupidly) thinking that was the problem source.. Still having the problem though. Any body have suggestions before I spend the money having a diag?

***UPDATE*** I did check my distributor cap, and there is NO oil inside of it or any sign of oil ever being in it.
On a second note, I noticed that if I push the gas really hard up to say 4k RPM the car will fluctuate like it does before it stalls, however I let off the gas and it didn't stall. Also, when I get the car to 50 mph and above it seems to fluctuate and want to stall but again I let off the gas and didn't give it a change to stall out on me.

I think it is possibly a vacuum leak due to the car being nearly 17 years old and I hear a faint sound of air coming from between the firewall and the engine block on the left side (standing in front of the car) below the EGR valve somewhere. I have never noticed the sound before, however, it may be coincidental.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Mike
Old 07-14-2010, 03:46 PM
2015 Rogue

When you check the distributor you need to pull off the rotor and the plastic cover under it to check for oil. Also use a can of carb. cleaner to spray around the intake manifold to check for leaks.If you hit a spot that is leaking the rpms will increase. Manifold gasket leaks are common on those engines. They usually leak around #4 cylinder.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:57 PM
EatShark

I checked under the plastic cover inside the rotor cap. I'll have the try the carb cleaner check across the intake. How much would a leak on the intake cost on average?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:50 AM
ardenmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatShark View Post
I checked under the plastic cover inside the rotor cap. I'll have the try the carb cleaner check across the intake. How much would a leak on the intake cost on average?
Did you pull off the rotor and the plastic cover under it to see the slotted disk?
Is there oil on it?

Last edited by ardenmann; 07-15-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 PM
EatShark

I unscrewed the rotor cap; there was no oil in that part. Then, I unscrewed the part that rotates inside it so that I could remove the second plastic cover behind that piece. No oil in that either. Should I go further than that?

Tags
nissan altima, rpm, stalling, vacuum leak