Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Extended Warranty From Non-Nissan Dealer Forums > > Extended Warranty From Non-Nissan Dealer Extended Warranty From Non-Nissan Dealer
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 11-08-2011, 02:29 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Exclamation Extended Warranty From Non-Nissan Dealer

Hey Guys - Need your feedback on this issue. I am helping my sister who is buying a 2010 Altima 2.5 with 23k miles. So factory warranty still apply. She is buying the car from an Acura Dealer. She is also purchasing an Extended Warranty from them. They told her if she ever needs the warranty all she has to do is go to any Nissan dealer.

I said, Oops! hit the break. I have read a while back on this type of arragement. Am I correct the Nissan dealer is under no obligation to honor that warranty. Or they charge the customer for the repair and customer in turn make a claim with the warranty company. A messy arragement. Of course the Acura dealer will not be providing the service if the need arise.

Thanking you in advance.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:58 PM
2015 Rogue

I would suggest comparing the price on the warranty they offer vs. the Nissan dealer. You can still purchase a Nissan service contract from a dealer if you don't purchase the vehicle from them. Dealers are not obligated to accept any warranty except those offered by the manufacturer. Some do and some don't. Also some shops charge an administrative fee to process the claims. We usually accept aftermarket contracts but we don't release the vehicle until we receive payment from the contract company. I have seen it take 48 hours to get paid.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:55 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Thumbs up

Thanks mpe235, I advise my sister to cancel the extend warranty from Acura and purchase instead from a Nissan dealer in the island where she live. You see she lives in one island and I'm on another island and she's purchasing the car from the main island where Honolulu is.

I'm not sure yet if this is aftermarket or thru Nissan. I spoke to our local Nissan dealer service advisor and he told me they do honor it if purchase from another dealer. It is my understanding its basically the same company that offer the service thru the dealerships. Of course he cannot speak for dealerships on other islands.

Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:30 PM
2010 Altima

Have her check this site here. I have heard that they have the best prices and when I checked against what i had purchased it was about $400 less, but it was too late for me to change. Good Luck!

Nissan Security+Plus - Gold Preferred Extended Service Plan

If you click on the Altima Coverage tab on the left it will drop down the other coverage plans

Last edited by eiching1; 11-09-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Thanks eiching1. As for me I have never bought an extended warranty on my major purchases like auto, appliances (refrig., washer/dryer, range, tv, etc.) Example: On cars you have 3 yrs. or 36k miles whichever occur first on most components, longer on others. The salesman try to sell me a 5 yr. extended warranty. I said ok I have a total of 8 yrs. of warranty. He says, no,no no, you have a total of 5 yrs.

I said I'll buy 5 yrs.if it is on top of 3 yrs. Why should I pay for 3 yrs. again. That is so insulting. They tell you the 3 yrs. is free. Just know nothing is free. It's all built in the price. Advances in manufacturing processes and metallurgy make a big difference in how long certain parts last.

Let say ball bearings made in the 70's. It is a given that 500 will be defective every 10k ball bearings made. In today's manufacturing standards may be 10 will be defective. If Nissan sells let say 1 million Altimas and I buy one of them. What's my chances of getting one of the defective ball bearings. My odds are 1 million divided by 10,000 x 10 or 1/1000th. If they sell 100k extended warranty while their maximum potential liability payout is only1k, its serious dough. Basically its just another form of insurance, and like all insurance it is based on statistical probabilities. When you play Black Jack in Vegas, don't ever pay insurance when Dealer is showing an "A", you will lose majority of the time. May be selectively but not everytime.

Last edited by bennyb53; 11-10-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Extended warranty are OK if you don't know anything about car, but buy a factory extended warranty not a 3rd. party.

Bennyb53, since your sister's Altima is still under regular factory warranty she shouldn't buy the extended warranty from the Acura dealer.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Thanks Nissan Tech. I advised my sister not to buy the extended warranty from Acura since the car is Nissan. She should buy it from Nissan. And she doesn't have to buy it now since she still have the factory warranty.

What is good about the extended warranty is now you can buy it after you purchase your car. In the past they weren't doing that. You have to buy it at the same time.

Tags
dealer, extended, nonnissan, warranty