Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Location of starter in 1998 Altima Forums > > Location of starter in 1998 Altima Location of starter in 1998 Altima
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-22-2010, 10:03 AM
eotday

Default Location of starter in 1998 Altima

Where is the starter located in the '98 Altima 4 cylinder? How difficult is it to replace?

Thanks much!!

Last edited by eotday; 05-22-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:01 PM
eotday

I have located the starter, however, I can only get to one of the two bolts that mount the starter - the one towards the firewall. How can I get to the bolt that is towards the front of the car? I can't even find it with my fingers.

Also, if I can get to both bolts, I can't see a way to get the starter out other than raising the engine. Is there a way?

Thanks!

Last edited by eotday; 05-22-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default Service Manuals

Did you download the service manuals from this forum and check the procedure there?

First step.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:31 PM
eotday

Yes I've downloaded and read all there is about the starter, battery, wiring, etc.

The problem now is removing the starter because there are so many other parts surrounding it. Tomorrow when it's light out I will take some photos of the area and post.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-23-2010, 12:19 PM
eotday

I am having difficulty removing this starter because I cannot locate both bolts, and many obstacles are in the way once I do locate and remove the bolts. Here's where I'm at:

Viewed from above - you can see my left hand coming up from below. You can see the hoses that are in the way of the bolts. I'm touching the head of the bolt towards the back of the car with my index finger but the hoses block the view.

In this photo you can see my fingertip that's touching the head of that bolt. There's a wood stick pointing to the bolt that I'm touching.

Viewed from below - you can see the starter, solenoid, and the opposite end of the same bolt that my finger was touching. This bolt is just below the solenoid, screwed into the mounting flange of the starter. So, I know where the second bolt must be, but I cannot find it with my finger, much less see it.

So now, my question is, how the heck do I get to the second bolt without removing way too many hoses, wires, etc?

Also, how will I get the wires off of the solenoid without destroying them?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!
Old 05-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Sometimes you can use what's called an "obstruction wrench" which is a "U" shaped wrench that is used in situations like that. I know that Sears sells them in the Craftsman line. That may be enough to get it out.

Or, a ratcheting wrench may work. This is one of those jobs where you need every trick in the book.

I'd really suggest you go with a Nissan new/rebuilt starter on this one because it doesn't seem one you want to do twice. Some of the parts store rebuilts have a LOT left to be desired.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default Starter

Dang Nissan...what an illustration in the parts book. LOL.

Like this helps. Gee whiz....

Included it anyhow, just in case a light bulb goes off in your head.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1998 Altima Starter.pdf (53.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 05-23-2010, 04:00 PM
eotday

Thanks for the picture and advice Ponchoguy!! I appreciate it. I'm still looking for the second bolt.

Thank again!
Old 05-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

No problem. It does look like a tough one to do. That's when all the tools and tricks of the trade come into play :)
Old 05-23-2010, 07:14 PM
eotday

Alright - it's out! Have tested the starter and it seems defective. Will post if I need any help installing the new one. Probably will put in new solenoid also. Will definitely purchase new parts, cuz as you said, this PITA job isn't one I'd like to repeat.

Many thanks for all the help Ponchoguy!!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default Starter

The replacement starter should come with a solenoid. Most do..

Either a NEW Nissan OEM starter or a Nissan (purchased from the dealer) rebuilt is the way I would go. They would have the latest updates and be the best quality over aftermarket new or parts store rebuilds (which are questionable quality).
Old 05-23-2010, 09:30 PM
eotday

Thanks for the info. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Tags
1998, altima, location, starter