Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Temperature Control Gear and Other Questions Forums > > 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Temperature Control Gear and Other Questions 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Temperature Control Gear and Other Questions
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 03-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Temperature Control Gear and Other Questions

First post to this site---I'm a GM person, but I know of someone with this car, so I figured I'd ask.

Above mentioned Altima---has the issue where the temperature control cannot be regulated (heat/AC). It has the manual three dial system (non electronic). This car was built in April or May of 2002, I have seen the TSB that refers you to the gear/cable repair.

1) Does anyone here have this same problem with an Altima built after the 10/01 date posted in the bulletin?

2) Anyone have any good photos of how to access that area to check the gear operation? I thought I read that the trim around the HVAC controls comes out, maybe the fuse box cover and another piece of trim.

3) Did you have to replace the gear (part #27153-8J010 from what I have read), or did you have to replace other parts? I haven't taken a look at it yet, but will as soon as I can.

4) On cabin air filters, I have seen listings that this year and model have them, but it seems to have been optional. Would a 2.5SL have one? (I know I can just take the glovebox out and look, but I thought maybe someone would know if it was only a certain submodel that had it, for example, the 3.5SE)? This car is pretty loaded for an SL, leather interior, sunroof, Bose stereo, etc).

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Anyone out there? :)
Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Hello Ponchoguy.

Unfortunately I don have much information for you, as I haven't had any Altima with that problem. I suggest downloading the "Manual Air Condition" section of the service manual. You can find good information there to access the parts and repair your problem.

You can download the section free from here: Knowledgebase - 2002 Altima - Nissanhelp.com Forums
Old 03-23-2010, 01:56 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

I'm going to check that cable issue. I saw a photo of it on another forum. I believe you take the HVAC control trim off, the fuse box cover and one of the dash covers off and you can see the parts.

If anyone has run into this or knows how to access the parts, that would be great.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:32 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchoguy View Post
I'm going to check that cable issue. I saw a photo of it on another forum. I believe you take the HVAC control trim off, the fuse box cover and one of the dash covers off and you can see the parts.

If anyone has run into this or knows how to access the parts, that would be great.
You shouldn't need to take anything off. Look on the side of the heater case down by the gas pedal. Make sure the gear is still there. If it is you need to reposition it so you get the correct temperature. I usually just turn the knob to full heat on the control and then turn the gear by hand until i feel full heat from the vents.(you will have to remove one phillips head screw) Put it back together and make sure it works properly. After you have verified that it is working, take the gear back out and put glue on the part that goes into the temp. door.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:33 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default Temp Control Gear

Thanks for the tip. I thought you have to take a few pieces off to access it (or see where it is at least). I have the TSB from Nissan and I have the Mitchell On Demand as well (which references the Nissan info) and it shows the gear and the "fan shaped" other half attached to the cable.

I'll take a look and see if this is the problem. The complaint I got from her was that it seems that moving the temp knob doesn't do anything.

In theory, I should be able to flip that knob from hot to cold on vent with the engine warmed up and it should switch from hot to cold air as I move the temperature knob. The car has heat in the winter, just no temperature regulation.

I want to start simple and I figure this is a good place as any to start.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:38 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

FYI also: I have the Nissan "FAST" parts (as well as Infiniti) at home if anyone needs a photo reference of anything. Just ask, no problem at all.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 PM
2015 Rogue

You only have to remove one screw to get the fan shaped part off.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I thought you have to take a few pieces off to access it (or see where it is at least). I have the TSB from Nissan and I have the Mitchell On Demand as well (which references the Nissan info) and it shows the gear and the "fan shaped" other half attached to the cable.

I'll take a look and see if this is the problem. The complaint I got from her was that it seems that moving the temp knob doesn't do anything.

In theory, I should be able to flip that knob from hot to cold on vent with the engine warmed up and it should switch from hot to cold air as I move the temperature knob. The car has heat in the winter, just no temperature regulation.

I want to start simple and I figure this is a good place as any to start.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

That I saw. Thanks. I'll have a look at it as soon as I can. Hopefully, it's the gear issue that will solve the AC and heat problem.

Have you seen this on 2002 cars made AFTER the 10/01 manufacturing date in the bulletin? This car was made in April or May of 2002 from what I remember.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
That I saw. Thanks. I'll have a look at it as soon as I can. Hopefully, it's the gear issue that will solve the AC and heat problem.

Have you seen this on 2002 cars made AFTER the 10/01 manufacturing date in the bulletin? This car was made in April or May of 2002 from what I remember.

Thanks.
Yes it is pretty common. The gear usually pops out enough to slip and then you don't get the full travel on the door.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:54 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Ok, thanks. I'm going to tell her to warm up the car, turn the heat on through the vents by having the temperature dial on full warm. Then she's going to tell me if she's got hot air. Then, I will have her just move the temperature dial to cold and she should get a switch to cold air. If she doesn't, I know I probably have a temperature cable/gear issue.

Good way to approach it? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:06 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default Gear

I haven't forgotten about this---just haven't had a chance to look at it.

Where do you guys buy your Nissan parts from? This is like a $6.00 gear with $9.00 shipping :).

I've ordered from Nissanparts.cc for a map light bulb (I found a mistake in the aftermarket lighting catalogs like GE, Sylvania, etc---they say it's a #578 bulb, it's nothing like that...dealer only part) and they were reasonable, at $5.00 with shipping for the bulb.

Thanks for everyone's continued help....
Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Ok, I'm going to have a look at this on Friday. I'm thinking it's "harder" in how it appears on paper then when you actually look at the parts in question :).

Hopefully the gear is there and it fell out of place. I was told "hot air comes out of the vents no matter what". Seems like the door is not operating (because the gear is missing or fell out).

Thanks for any additional suggestions....
Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default Further Information...

I was now told that the knob got tight at one time, and now it kinda "free wheels...almost like it's not doing anything".

Does that typically point to the white gear at the bottom, or a damaged control lever/control assembly up top (which I found a TSB for also)?

MPE:

Are these the parts I'm looking for and does this photo show anything removed, or do you just peek up there without removing anything? Seems this guy had the gear issue:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2002-2006-nissan-altima-discussion-2-5-3-5/281108-heater-sucks-3.html

Thanks again for everyone's input. Hopefully I can make her happy with AC on Friday :).
Old 04-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default Cable and Gear Issue

I had a chance to check this out tonight....

The cable never moves down below with the temperature control dial. It appears that the cable is disconnected at the lever up top at the HVAC control head.

I saw the TSB about that, so I will take things apart to have a look. It looks like the "C" cluster piece around the HVAC is easy (already had it off). Does the large trim piece around the radio just pull out? It seems that the radio has to come out to remove the HVAC control. Do these radios have "theft lock" or anything like that? (GM cars ofter do).

I was able to manually rotate the gear fully in one direction and I had AC to beat the band :). I checked multiple times---moving the temperature control dial doesn't move the cable or gears down below.

Have you guys done any work on these L31 Altimas with regard to that bulletin? What did you typically find?

Thanks again for everyone's help. I also changed the air filter and cabin filter (both dirty) this evening, so that's done. (Car is up for state inspection in May....).

I have to get a pivot pin for the glovebox, one is missing.

Also, on this TSB, what's the difference between the "A/C control" and the "temperature control lever". I attached the bulletin. I don't think by A/C control they are referring to the whole dash unit, because they talk about a procedure for replacement there.

Both of them look like (from the picture), the same thing. What I found disconnected/not working is at the bottom of the HVAC control unit when it's installed in the car. I can actually feel that the cable end is disconnected
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2009-10-24_132955_NTB06-070.pdf (468.1 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Ponchoguy; 04-10-2010 at 05:26 AM.

Tags
2002, 25sl, altima, control, gear, nissan, questions, temperature