Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Altima Outside Door Handle Replacement Forums > > 2003 Altima Outside Door Handle Replacement 2003 Altima Outside Door Handle Replacement
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 03-14-2010, 03:31 PM
redrocker

Default 2003 Altima Outside Door Handle Replacement

I have a 2003 Altima with a broken outside driver's side front door handle. I took off the door panel and behind it was a metal panel. I was not sure about removing the metal panel as it has the window guides and motor attached. What is the proper procedure for replacing the door handle?

Thanks, RedRocker
Old 03-14-2010, 04:30 PM
2015 Rogue

Remove the glass first and then the inner panel. Everything inside is attatched to the panel and comes off with it.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:42 PM
redrocker

Thanks for the reply mpe235 that sounds easy enough. Just 1 question, how do you get the glass out?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 AM
NissanHater

Default Remove Glass

Those handles snap like potato chips, don't they?

Roll the window half way down, then slide it out throught the opening. I just roll it down about 6 inches, then pull it from the top. If you already have the door half way apart, and get some of the grease on your fingers, it doesn't come off of the window too easily, so be careful!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

I didn't take the glass out. Here is what I did on my 2002 Altima.

I removed the inside door panel and then removed the metal panel the enclosed the insides of the door. Before removing all of the screws, I wedged a piece of cardboard between the window and the door slot, insuring the window would not fall down. You could also use packing tape or duct tape to secure the window to the top of the window frame.

Then, you can remove one of the nuts on the tabs of the handle fairly easy, but the other looked tricky. On mine, there was a hole with a piece of tape over it, I removed the tape, using an extension, removed this nut. The handle was now free to be removed from outside of the door.

The trick to putting it back in is lining it up right and making sure the little locking mechanism (plastic within the door) doesn't get messed up. Take care to remove the handle from the wire and replace and it shouldn't be a problem. The problem I had was once assembled, the handle wouldn't close all the way due to this piece being cocked. I finally worked it out and it went in.

It was a PITA until I figured it all out.
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)
Old 09-18-2011, 08:23 AM
2003 Altima
2003 Altima

Default thanks for the info

this really looks like a PITA! still deciding on doing it. but the misses car needs to be fixed! damn! and the race is about to start!

Tags
2003, altima, door, handle, replacement