Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
05 Altima 3.5 SE Motor Mount problem Forums > > 05 Altima 3.5 SE Motor Mount problem 05 Altima 3.5 SE Motor Mount problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 01-13-2010, 08:26 AM
edubbrulez

Default 05 Altima 3.5 SE Motor Mount problem

I've got a problem with my 2005 Altima 3.5 SE. The front motor mount is making a mechanical noise (sounds like a stuck relay). The seems to occur when the engine RPM's go over/under 1000 RPM's and also always occurs when you turn the car off.

The dealer replaced the front motor mount and "claimed" to fix the issue. However after the work was completed and before I left the dealership, I turned the car on and off - and the problem remained.

They are claiming that the new motor mount installed was defective. However, I'm not sure that I believe that. I've searched through the TSB's and I can't find anything that mentions a problem like this.

Any ideas?

For what it's worth, when they unplug the motor mount, the problem no longer occurs - but that doesn't seem to be a proper fix for the problem.

Erik
Old 01-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Unfortunately I haven't seen that problem. What is the dealer doing to repair the problem?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:04 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa
2001 Altima

I would be curious to know about that they replaced.

Does the work order/receipt have a part number, description, codes, etc. describing their diagnosis and treatment you can share?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:12 AM
edubbrulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseibarra View Post
I would be curious to know about that they replaced.

Does the work order/receipt have a part number, description, codes, etc. describing their diagnosis and treatment you can share?
Yes:

Replace Motor Mount
Replaced Front Engine Mount

Part #11270-8J10A INSULATOR ASSY
Old 01-14-2010, 07:14 AM
edubbrulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Unfortunately I haven't seen that problem. What is the dealer doing to repair the problem?
I dropped the car off this morning and they are supposed to replace the front engine motor mount again. I'm concerned that the problem will still occur after they replace it, and claim that it's working as intended. Clearly it shouldn't be making an audible sound that anyone can hear (when it never did that before).

I'm also a bit concerned that they are going to charge me for something else that doesn't fix the problem either.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:27 AM
edubbrulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbrulez View Post
I dropped the car off this morning and they are supposed to replace the front engine motor mount again. I'm concerned that the problem will still occur after they replace it, and claim that it's working as intended. Clearly it shouldn't be making an audible sound that anyone can hear (when it never did that before).

I'm also a bit concerned that they are going to charge me for something else that doesn't fix the problem either.
They replaced the motor mount again yesterday. The new mount appears to be working well as it's not making the noise anymore!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:40 AM
2005 Altima

Some info on a similar related problem: Same car as eddubrulez and virtually same symptoms. It was annoying and finally decided to change it. I order the part online and was shipped for just under $100 CDN (I thought that was pretty good considering the dealer wanted over $250 just for the part). Part was the right one except the cord was too short, so had to splice it, something to check when ordering. I was able to determine it was the rear motor mount sensor by unplugging it, the connection is under the air intake assembly.
Changing it out was a royal B#%ch!!!! It's very hard to get at and the bolts were tight tight. Ended up having to take the side transmission mount off and move the whole engine/transmission slight forward because the one bolt on motor mount is too long and cannot be taken fully out before it hits the transmission casing. What a pain in the a@@! After we got the bolts out it was a very very tight squeez to get the old mount out and the new one in. We had to undue throttle cable from firewall and almost had to take off power steering lines just to get mount out.
It took about 2 of us about 5 hours in a shop with some decent tools. I would say not a job for your garage with limited tools.
Now that the new one is in, there is no more noise and seems to be working properly.
Hope this helps somebody else.

Bowski

Tags
altima, motor, mount, problem