Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
09 Altima 2.5SL sedan's wobbly handling in highways Forums > > 09 Altima 2.5SL sedan's wobbly handling in highways 09 Altima 2.5SL sedan's wobbly handling in highways
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 03-13-2010, 05:12 PM
bb700092

Default 09 Altima 2.5SL sedan's wobbly handling in highways

My 09 Altima 2.5SL sedan is all over the place at highway speeds of 50 mph or more. It is extremely difficult to keep the car in a straight line even if it is not so windy. At 70 mph or more, it is so bad that the car seems to go out of control unless I hold the steering wheel very tightly with both my hands. I went to a Nissan dealer and they did road hunter force balancing of all wheels and front and rear alignment but nothing has improved.

Note that there are no vibrations as such.

I strongly feel there is some problem with the steering column/rack. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

PS: 4,000 mi on odo; no mods; 35 psi pressure in all tire

Last edited by bb700092; 03-13-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:17 PM
2004 Sentra
2004 Sentra SER Spec V

Unhappy Wiggly Ride

My guess is in the steering system.
The power steering pump: pressure fluctuates due to a blockage, mechanical defect on the variable ratio vs. speed (Fails on Ford Full Size Trucks) or low oil.
Rack and pinion assy. (or whatever these units have now) has a loose bolt or a broken piece...
Monthly you see a car on the side of the road with wheels facing opposite directions because of a tie rod issue.

If Nissan can't find it take it to an independent shop who can find the issue and then take the receipt back to the dealership with the list of busted bits. Some FEW indy shops will touch a warranty issue but it takes them MONTHS to get paid...

Your safety and the safety of others on the road is too important to dicker with the local dealership if they cannot find what is wrong is it is NOT in the NISSAN troubleshooting guide...

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2010, 04:12 PM
blocksbikes

Question Same problem......

We have a 2002 Altima sedan 2.5S and have the same problem on the hwy with our car. There is a very small amount of play side to side in the steering wheel.....there must be a way to adjust this slack without replacing the whole steering rack?? It is almost completely out of control on the hwy with a strong side wind to keep it going straight down the road!! Even worse when you go to pass a semi-truck & trailer..... Both hands on the wheel for sure.

Hope someone has a solution!!

Thanks, D

Tags
25sl, altima, handling, highways, sedan, wobbly