Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
01 Altima won't stay running Forums > > 01 Altima won't stay running 01 Altima won't stay running
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 03-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Sheppachon

Default 01 Altima won't stay running

Well where should I start....I have an 01 Altima with 210,968 miles on it. About 8 months ago, out of nowhere, the car wouldn't start so my husband replaced the ignition. Instead of having a key made he just cut the old ignition key off and taped it to the ignition from the junkyard and it worked. My husband also replaced the distributor. A few weeks later we went out of town and when we were on our way home the car stranded us because it died and would not start. We had it towed and the mechanic could not figure out what was wrong with it so we thought maybe it was the computer. We got another computer and put it in the car and that still did not fix the problem so we had it towed to the dealership. The dealership had the car for a few weeks and finally figured out that a new key needed to be programmed to the new ignition because the other key shorted out or something.
Well the car ran for a couple months and again we went out of town. While I was driving it the car died so I put it in neutral and turned the key and it started. This happened many times so I parked the car. When my husband came up here he went to look at the car and it didn't start at all. We thought it might be the fuel filter so we changed it and it ran for about 2 days then the same problem of it not staying running happened. The car has been at my parents house since November and we cannot figure out what is wrong with it.
My husband mailed me another computer and I put it in and the car would not start at all. Does the key need to be programmed to the computer in order for the car to start?
I put the old computer in and the car started up then died. So then I took the distributor cap off to check for oil and there was none so I put the cap back on tightly. I made sure all the wires were secure on the distributor and started the car. The car idled for about 30 minutes then died. I again started the car and it ran.
I checked the codes and its giving me Thermostat Function and Multiple Cylinder Misfire.
So my main question is would these codes cause the car to keep dieing randomly, and how do I fix it?
And if we put another computer in the car will we need to have the key programmed to it?

Sorry the post is kind of long but I wanted to give a little background on the problem. Please help!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Does the key need to be programmed to the computer in order for the car to start?
Yes, the key code is program to the computer. If the key or the computer is replaced, the reprogram process needs to done.

Quote:
So my main question is would these codes cause the car to keep dieing randomly?
It's possible, usually those components will give you a rough idle, but rarely cause the engine to die.

Quote:
and how do I fix it?
Not an easy question, unfortunately there are many things thats can cuase the engine to die and some test needs to be perform to properly diagnose the problem. My suggestion is to have a tech with Nissan experience inspect your Altima.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 PM
ardenmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
The car idled for about 30 minutes then died. I again started the car and it ran.
I checked the codes and its giving me Thermostat Function and Multiple Cylinder Misfire.
So my main question is would these codes cause the car to keep dieing randomly, and how do I fix it?
Intake vacuum leak is common problem in 2001 Altima, it is caused by bad intake manifold gasket. The symptom is rough idle or stall at idle
Read this 2001 Nissan Altima engine problems & complaints | CarComplaints.com

Tags
computer, distributor, fuel filter, multiple cylinder misfire, thermostat