Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Long life coolant Forums > > Long life coolant Long life coolant
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Gino45

Default Long life coolant

I have a 2009 2.5L altima that had the "blue" long life coolant in it. I took the car to the dealership for my first oil change and they topped up the coolant with the "green" long life coolant. The blue coolant is good for 10yrs while the green is good for 5yrs. They weren't even aware of the blue coolant as they only had the green in stock. Does this mean that my blue coolant is now only good for 5yrs as it has been mixed with the green stuff? They later siphoned out the green from the reservoir tank, but I assume nevertheless that some of it must have mixed with the blue in the radiator. To think that I end up going to the dealer to avoid this type of screw up happening in the first place.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:38 PM
2015 Rogue

Yes if it is mixed then the life of the coolant is reduced. Any Nissan dealer should know about the new coolant requirement. Nissan sent out memos to the dealers to make them aware of this.

However in my opinion no coolant is good for 10 years. Just because it doesn't freeze or boil doesn't make it good. I still change my coolant every 30,000 miles. It is inexpensive to do.

This is from How often should I change my antifreeze? — Yahoo! Autos

Corrosion Inhibitors
The life of the antifreeze depends on it's ability to inhibit corrosion. Silicates, phosphates and/or borates are used as corrosion inhibitors to keep the solution alkaline. As long as the antifreeze remains so, corrosion is held in check and there's no need to change the coolant. But as the corrosion inhibiting chemicals are used up over time, electrolytic corrosion starts to eat away at the metal inside the engine and radiator. Aluminum is especially vulnerable to corrosion and can turn to Swiss cheese rather quickly when conditions are right. Solder bloom can also form in copper\brass radiators causing leaks and restrictions. So changing the coolant periodically as preventative maintenance is a good way to prevent costly repairs.

The basic idea is to change the coolant before the corrosion inhibitors reach dangerously low levels. Following the OEM change recommendations is usually good enough to keep corrosion in check, but it may not always be the case. That's why more frequent changes may be recommended to minimize the risk of corrosion in bimetal engines and aluminum radiators
ASE Master Certified.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Gino45

Well, I phoned two other dealers in Toronto Canada and they told me that only the "green" coolant is available in Canada! I had this confirmed by Nissan Canada over the phone. So, I buy a car that has a superior product (blue coolant) and Nissan Canada wants me to mess with it and cut it's life in half when I get a coolant top up during an oil change. I'll write to Nissan Canada to get an official explanation as to why they are offering Canadian customers inferior products. I guess they want me to get my car serviced in Buffalo.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:36 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Why not get it serviced in buffalo? Were not so bad south of the border.You can still order the "blue" coolant online if it is unavailable in Canada.

Tags
coolant, life, long