Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Noisy solenoid Forums > > Noisy solenoid Noisy solenoid
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-13-2010, 07:50 PM
xelha67

Default Noisy solenoid

I've got a chirping type noise coming from the left front of the engine (2005 3.5 SER), really loud just after turn ignition off for a couple seconds. Noise is there while driving (intermittent) and is slowly getting louder. Possible noisy tranny shift solenoid. Haven't come across this problem while working in Nissan shop, only 2 or 3 SER's in my town that I know of, 3.5's don't have too many issues. Anyone know of any solenoid issues with 3.5?? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

I don't think it's a solenoid that you hear but the alternator clutch.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:47 AM
xelha67

Smile Thanks

Hi there, I appreciate your input. I orginally thought the noise sounded like a bearing type noise, maybe tensioner pulley or a/c compressor bearing. I had 2 mechanic friends say it sounds like a solenoid and I'm not a mechanic so doing a bit of research. I had never thought about the alternator, I'll have it checked out. Thanks again for your help. Have a good day!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

there is a one way clutch in the alternator that whines just after the engine is turned off. Also check the belt it will also make chirp noise after engine shut off
Old 02-26-2010, 03:14 PM
xelha67

Thank you for your reply. Been dealing with family emergency, so my cars troubles been on the back burner. I'm getting the car looked at hopefully next week and we'll start with the alternator and pulley check. I've run into another problem with my poor SER, the hood release isn't working, so need that fixed first so can actually open the hood to listen to the noise. Anyone had any issues with the hood release?? Looking at a couple 90-95 Pathfinder's for my son, and for me to take to the river. Another Nissan fan in the making, WOOHOO!! Have a good day!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Glad to see that someone can make it to the river.Cant seem to get away from all the snow here in northeast ohio.Another 3 inches just today and it's still coming down.

Tags
noisy, solenoid