Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 Altima Limited Edition problems Forums > > 2001 Altima Limited Edition problems 2001 Altima Limited Edition problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 01-30-2010, 07:20 AM
jimsurfs38

Default 2001 Altima Limited Edition problems

I bought a used Altima a few years ago and it has been a GREAT car to own. But the old cliche still stands true, once you pay it off it starts to fall apart. Recently I replaced to valve cover gasket myself (because of a hole) and more recently I replaced the water pump. My car has 138K miles on it and about 8 months ago it started idling funny when the car is in drive at red lights. When I put the car in neutral it helps to fix the problem. I want to run this car until the car falls apart from rust (which it has very little of) because I love it. Yesterday the Service Engine Soon light came on and I have no idea what to do besides take it to a shop and let them tell me. The light has never come on before even when I run it for miles between oil changes. DOES ANYONE have any ideas on what could be wrong with my car. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:13 AM
ardenmann

Car started with a slight rough idle while sitting at red lights, eventually the RPMs started jumping between 400 and 800, and in the end the service engine light came on. The code behind this was P0171, or engine running lean. Like many others I needed to have the intake manifold gasket replaced. At 100,000 miles, I'm not overly disappointed by needing to have work done on the car. I'm just disappointed by the way Nissan Service Centers are using this to over charge owners. With a part that costs less then $20, its amazing they can look to charge you $1000 for the labor. I understand its a lengthy process to change this part, but with all of the people complaining of similar problems, you'd think they have plenty of practice at fixing the problem.

If you end up having this problem, I recommend taking your time to get a few quotes on the replacing the gasket. They range greatly from service department to independent service stations. Its ok to drive with this code and problem. I found that the AC helped to even out the RPMs and rough idle at red lights. If Nissan doesn't plan on doing anything to fix their defective parts, atleast we can do our best to ensure that they don't get our business in their service departments.

As others have mentioned, if you have a service engine light on, take it to AutoZone or PepBoys and ask to use their code reader. Takes all of 2 minutes to plug it in and check the codes.

Read this Page 1: 2001 Nissan Altima shakes when idling | CarComplaints.com
Old 01-31-2010, 03:59 AM
12-6

I'm having the same problem on my 2001 at red lights and got the same advice on this forum - intake manifold gasket. I'm the original owner and it only has 75K mi.. boomer57tux posted recently about the same problem as well.

boomer57tux was going to contact Nissan but I have a feeling that they're going to take the position that it's a 9 yo vehicle and things are going to break. It doesn't make it any easier to take when the gasket is about $15 but the labor is going to kill us.

I'm living w/it for now because tearing it apart in my driveway in January isn't an option so I might get some quotes or wait it out.

One thing I recently tried that made some difference was using STP Fuel System Cleaner(not fuel injection cleaner) and 93 octane gas. I took it for a good run on the highway for about 30 miles after I filled up. I'm still running that tank of gas but it has gone from idling pretty rough at every light to only occasionally with less fluctuations in the RPMs. I'm not sure if that's because of the higher octane or the STP cleaned some gunk out. I guess time will tell.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:27 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa
2001 Altima

I have a 2001 also but it is running okay with only half your mileage. Now I am wondering what to do when it decides to break.

Will the leaky gasket generate that code?

Isn't there a way to read the code and what is it without a reader from the indicator flashing method? I don't live close to a shop.

How can one verify the problem is with the intake manifold gasket?

I have seen videos on some maintenance, is there one to watch for this procedure or does somebody have a step by step?

What is a good repair manual that will show the best procedure? Haynes? Chilton? Some other?
Old 01-31-2010, 04:54 AM
12-6

Joseibarra - I don't have all the repair manuals but Chilton's seems to have an easy to follow step by step.
I haven't had mine checked for trouble codes yet but it's on my agenda.
If you scroll down on the Altima posts you'll see mine where I got a reply about the method to test for the leak using starting fluid.

Tags
2001, altima, edition, limited, problems